Españoles en Vietnam: Franco's last war.

25. A Tale of Three Countries.

LV_19660604_LV_FOTOS_D_54303840024-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web.jpg

The article by Solís opened the can of worms. From then on, any piece of news comming from Vietnam had a complete out of proportion effect into the Spanish population. Meanwhile, the anti-Francoist opposition began to conspire again.

After the failed "Contubernio de Munich", the failed meeting of Munich in 1962 of the right-center opposition to Franco, the search for alternatives was on the march again, but, as usual, by different ways. Thus, from 1968 to 1969, the opposition to Franco called for useless meetings that repeated what has already been said at Munich more than half a decade ago but without achieving too much.

As the war progressed and with it the rising number of Spanish casualties, Spain was rocked by strikes. The unrelentess activity of the Spanish workers and students began to have an effect upon the regime. Franco was mortified on his pride, as the effect of those actions was magnified by the foreign press. Even worse, some Spanish newspapers defied a bit the Minister of Information, Manuel Fraga, and informed the Spanish reader about the demonstrations in a too direct way. Thus, by June 1968, Fraga was dismissed by Franco and replaced by Alfredo Sánchez Bella, and the Press Law of 1966 was applied in a more restrictive and repressive way.

This, of course, had an inmediate effect. The repressive turn of the Franco regime worried London and Washington. Fearing that the Spain was going bck in time, they tried to press, without too much success, Madrid to find a way to appease the students and workers without turning into sheer repression, but Franco payed no attention whatsoever. Johnson, with his hands full with Vietnam, was the first international leader to abandon any hope of appeassing Franco, and was soon followed by Wilson. To make it worse, the European_Economic_Community (EEC) made quite clear that any negotiation with Spain about a future Spanish association with the EEC was out of the question after the turn to the worse of the dictatorship.

Thus, by the second half of 1969, Franco's regime was moving back in time and, at the same time, was on the verge to become an international pariah state. Then, two events in Vietnam worsened a bit more the already complicted situation in Spain.

LV_19660604_LV_FOTOS_D_54303840024-992x558@LaVanguardia-Web.jpg

The article by Solís opened the can of worms. From then on, any piece of news comming from Vietnam had a complete out of proportion effect into the Spanish population. Meanwhile, the anti-Francoist opposition began to conspire again.

After the failed "Contubernio de Munich", the failed meeting of Munich in 1962 of the right-center opposition to Franco, the search for alternatives was on the march again, but, as usual, by different ways. Thus, from 1968 to 1969, the opposition to Franco called for useless meetings that repeated what has already been said at Munich more than half a decade ago but without achieving too much.

As the war progressed and with it the rising number of Spanish casualties, Spain was rocked by strikes. The unrelentess activity of the Spanish workers and students began to have an effect upon the regime. Franco was mortified on his pride, as the effect of those actions was magnified by the foreign press. Even worse, some Spanish newspapers defied a bit the Minister of Information, Manuel Fraga, and informed the Spanish reader about the demonstrations in a too direct way. Thus, by June 1968, Fraga was dismissed by Franco and replaced by Alfredo Sánchez Bella, and the Press Law of 1966 was applied in a more restrictive and repressive way.

This, of course, had an inmediate effect. The repressive turn of the Franco regime worried London and Washington. Fearing that the Spain was going bck in time, they tried to press, without too much success, Madrid to find a way to appease the students and workers without turning into sheer repression, but Franco payed no attention whatsoever. Johnson, with his hands full with Vietnam, was the first international leader to abandon any hope of appeassing Franco, and was soon followed by Wilson. To make it worse, the European_Economic_Community (EEC) made quite clear that any negotiation with Spain about a future Spanish association with the EEC was out of the question after the turn to the worse of the dictatorship.

Thus, by the second half of 1969, Franco's regime was moving back in time and, at the same time, was on the verge to become an international pariah state. Then, two events in Vietnam worsened a bit more the already complicted situation in Spain.
Whoops, i hope spain doesn't end up like DPRK(assuming DPRK ends up like IOTL in ITTL..)

None at all, don't panick. No Korea and no Stalinist Spain either.

PS: There's no need to quote the previous post if you're posting just after it ;)

None at all, don't panick. No Korea and no Stalinist Spain either.

PS: There's no need to quote the previous post if you're posting just after it ;)

I can see it going the way of the RSA though in terms of being a crazy far-right pariah. It could result in sanctions at some point if this leads to Spain liberalizing later than in OTL.

I can see it going the way of the RSA though in terms of being a crazy far-right pariah. It could result in sanctions at some point if this leads to Spain liberalizing later than in OTL.

I'm imagining a Spanish axis with Stroessner's Paraguay, possibly Israel and the RSA. The Rhodesian Bush War is just getting hot right now, too.

What is it??

Basically, rewriting the past looking into the future...

Yes, what I have in mind may end up in sanctions. Or not, but it goes in that direction.

No, no far-right fools in this Spain. At least none that I cannot massac... er... get rid of him in a fast way.

Thanks!

GODAMMIT, I GAVE HIM AN IDEA! ;-;
Next time, I'll watch my mouth...

Well, you just said the right word that put my mind to work...

I'm imagining a Spanish axis with Stroessner's Paraguay, possibly Israel and the RSA. The Rhodesian Bush War is just getting hot right now, too.

I DO like that idea, too... Ok, let's forget about massac... well, whatever I was thinking to do with the far-right nuts.

Dear, dear, indeed.

26. Into the dark side of the Moon.
26. Into the dark side of the Moon.

1201179660_f.jpg

"Nasío pa matá", the Spanish version of
"Born to Kill".

Luckily for the Spanish forces in Vietnam their time was quite calm after the Tet. The usual patrols were hardly any trouble for them and the resulting casualties were low enough not to cause any concern to Madrid, as the Francoist government managed to keep anything comming from Vietnam from having anything but a low profile on the press. Then, of course, the proverbial matter had to hit the fun, of course.

It all began in the most common way. Just as the US troops were having their 4th July celebrations, a Spanish patrol found an unexpected source of troubles when clearing an area. Some enemy forces had fortified some sectors of the jungle and were proving to be a real pain for the Spanish commanders as Charlie used to escape after causing some small headaches to them. So, on July 4th, 1969, when a twelve Spanish soldiers found some Vietcong bunker, the firefight soon espiralled out of control. Two Spanish batallions, twelve batteries of artillery and 800 tons of bombs and napalm were expende in an operation that the MACV itself qualified as "of little to no value whatsoever".

In Spain the families of the 48 Spanish soldiers killed in the small battle begged to disagree, it goes without saying. As more and more details about the whole issue were leaked by the foreign press, a less than ideal image about the battle emereged. It all began, true, after a small skirmish that had grew out of proportion when a Major from the Guardia Civil, Antonio Tejero Molina, ended up leading a wild charge at the head of 200 Spanish soldiers.

Major Tejero, as most of the Guardia Civiles serving in Vietnam, had been asigned to police roles in dangerous areas. So, what he was doing in the battlefront is something that remains unanswered to this day. And as Tejero was mortally wounded in the first seconds of the ensuing battle, his reasons to act in that way are not know. However, this charge, as Pickett's charge in his day, was to remain forever linked to the history of his country, as it was the justification of Colonel Jaime Milans del Bosch for the utter and senseless escalation of the battle, which ended up destroying his military career.

The indignation gave rise to outrage when it was known that the MACV censored the Spanish command for getting involved in asuch a "needless mess". Bearing in mind how the whole issue grew out of control in Spain and also damaged the public image of Washington, present day historians still wonder how such a delicate piece of information ended up appearing in the first pages of the international press.

Then, the second issue took place as the first troops entered Cambodia to stop the massive purge of the 400,000 ethnic Vietnamese living in that country and a Spanish batallion joined the effort.

Then, Generalissimo Franco died in a strange hunting accident on July 16th, 1969.

Last edited: