Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems unlikely unless one tribe conquered the others, or one tribe received a bunch of native refugees that were coerced to assimilate into the patron tribe.

President Custer? That Custer?

I'm not too familiar with the tribes relationships with each other in the early 19th Century, but I take it you don't think they'd unite in so much as to maintain a state without European influence?

And yup, that Custer

Deleted member 97083

I'm not too familiar with the tribes relationships with each other in the early 19th Century, but I take it you don't think they'd unite in so much as to maintain a state without European influence?

And yup, that Custer
The Native tribes already raided and fought wars with each other before Europeans/whites showed up, so it would be very difficult for a de novo native republic to come into existence eliminating the divisions between tribes, without it being the result of one tribe conquering others. If you look up most of the American-Indian Wars, usually there was at least one native tribe allying with the US federal government against the tribe or tribes being attacked, and that was because the US was able to exploit existing divisions.

The Native tribes already raided and fought wars with each other before Europeans/whites showed up, so it would be very difficult for a de novo native republic to come into existence eliminating the divisions between tribes, without it being the result of one tribe conquering others. If you look up most of the American-Indian Wars, usually there was at least one native tribe allying with the US federal government against the tribe or tribes being attacked, and that was because the US was able to exploit existing divisions.

Basically this. Concerning Arizona, you had the fact the Navajo and Apache weren't exactly friends.

So, China never regained Port Arthur, Hong Kong/Macau and that territory in Shandong Peninsula (German Kiautschou?)?
Nope. With the exception of Macau, the areas of Hongkong, Tsingtau and Ryojun still belong to their respective owners. It's not that it bothers anyone since the four participants are in an alliance anyways.
Oh my this is beautiful.
Ok but a few questions: Who wins the Black-Gold Wars? And considering this China seems to practice federalism, how strong is regionalist sentiment?
[1] Since neither Qing nor the heavenly kingdom survive the civil war, the black-gold war was won by the dragon faction (Chinese Imperial Federation).
[2] Since China split into hundreds of different houses and cliques which are bond by only the "main house", regionalism is quite strong. During the times where it was possible to easily destroy the federation (until 1930s), several duchies actually practiced this possibility which you can see in 1931 as Tibet and all the East Turkestan Duchies left and attacked. Since then the main house has surpressed autonomy which you can see on the 1939 map in Turkestan and Tibet, and in 1972 in the Han areas.
I'm also thinking about the position of shandong in China as I originally planned to let it be under german protectorate until the 40s/50s.
Have you already posted a map of the Americas in this TL?
No, not yet. That's partially because I'm not sure if my ideas are good. Currently, America is a similar mess as China (quite Balkanized) but I was thinking about a "united provinces" system similarity to how the OTL Russian federation works.
South America looks as dull as always which is something I want to change as well since it's got to be different.

This is probably the fourth time I've reworked this? Maybe fifth? And sorry about the Egyptian borders, @Clandango . I'm pretty crap at divisions beyond the Nile river border. :V

y0AGwYH.png
Marvelous, marvelous. And while the area given to Italian Libya IOTL might not have been given to them in this timeline, it makes sense for it to be separate from the rest. I can\t even imagine what the borders of the northern Sudanese areas would be like if they had to dial with an extra triangle of land. And oddly enough, this map gives Austrian land to Bosnia. Around Ragusa, where they managed to gain the areas that went to Montenegro ITOL after WWII. I think it is a fun little thing, but figured I would bring it up incase it was a coloring mistake. If not, or it was and you decide to keep it, I imagine you can have some fun with the two sections of Bosnia/Herzegovina coast vieing for influence, having some Italians dominating the south, or having Montengro be very unhappy about not getting the land and needing to go through Bosnia to get a good amount of trade done. I do wonder who controls Bosnia. I am assuming Serbs, but the Austrians and Hungarians, along with the Croatian portions of both countries, would probably push for some Catholic leadership that was acceptable for all. Ahhh, the smallest of pixels opens up so many opportunities. Ahh, and to be clear the Austrian outlines for Hungary, Galicia, and Bosnia means that the areas left the Austrians without their full consent, correct? If so, I can sense a detente between the Serbs and Austrians, should Vienna decide that Derbia getting independent, annexing Bosnia (and various parts of Banat, Smyrna, and Slavonia), as well as possibly uniting with Herzegovina (or that goes to Montenegro). And now I am thinking some maps people made on the countering territorial claims in the Balkans of an Alt-Hist world. I feel that this is the sort of world in which people would find a wealth of opportunities to make just such thing.

Thanks for the correction.

Updated June 22, 1941 Pre-Barbarossa Q-BAM with corrected Belarus and Ukraine subdivisions:

View attachment 348923
Is this IOTL? If so, is seems as though Belgium needs a bit of work on the border with France. It has one division extra and, while IOTL the Germans had a department of Belgium and Northern France, that included not just French Flanders but Calais as well. I also think you should consider different greys to use in Western Europe. Using the color of the Slovaks should do for Denmark, to show that while occupied they collaborated to a great degree. Not with arms so much as producing food and not making a racket. What is the color for what remained of French North Africa signifying? I can't imagine it to be Vichy, due to the European areas having the blue of France, as well as the Italians being in Tunisia. By that same token, I can't see the Allies of Free French having grey to represent themselves. Also, Tangiers should be should separate from Spanish Morocco. The Spanish occupied it, but made no claims to officially annex it, and left it later on. Perhaps just as well they occupied it, as otherwise I imagine the Germans would have tried to, if the British of French didn't get there first.

Got this in the post

With thanks for inspiration to @ToixStory and to all others whose work I have adjusted to fit.

Beautiful job. A couple of questions though.

What does it mean when the Ad says "Near-Human" and what exactly does it mean when one species is HO.99 vs HO.90?

And what's the backstory that leads the "Homeline" trying to conquer all of these different worlds and install its citizens as kings of countless countries?

Marvelous, marvelous. And while the area given to Italian Libya IOTL might not have been given to them in this timeline, it makes sense for it to be separate from the rest. I can\t even imagine what the borders of the northern Sudanese areas would be like if they had to dial with an extra triangle of land. And oddly enough, this map gives Austrian land to Bosnia. Around Ragusa, where they managed to gain the areas that went to Montenegro ITOL after WWII. I think it is a fun little thing, but figured I would bring it up incase it was a coloring mistake. If not, or it was and you decide to keep it, I imagine you can have some fun with the two sections of Bosnia/Herzegovina coast vieing for influence, having some Italians dominating the south, or having Montengro be very unhappy about not getting the land and needing to go through Bosnia to get a good amount of trade done. I do wonder who controls Bosnia. I am assuming Serbs, but the Austrians and Hungarians, along with the Croatian portions of both countries, would probably push for some Catholic leadership that was acceptable for all. Ahhh, the smallest of pixels opens up so many opportunities. Ahh, and to be clear the Austrian outlines for Hungary, Galicia, and Bosnia means that the areas left the Austrians without their full consent, correct? If so, I can sense a detente between the Serbs and Austrians, should Vienna decide that Derbia getting independent, annexing Bosnia (and various parts of Banat, Smyrna, and Slavonia), as well as possibly uniting with Herzegovina (or that goes to Montenegro). And now I am thinking some maps people made on the countering territorial claims in the Balkans of an Alt-Hist world. I feel that this is the sort of world in which people would find a wealth of opportunities to make just such thing.

It was probably a colouring error, since the 1918 basemap had that same error. As for who controls Bosnia, I think the Serbs would probably have trouble getting into power despite their numerical superiority. After all, they started the war and killed the heir to Austria-Hungary. Why in holy hell would Vienna trust them? It's likely the Croats would be the ones in charge, with the potential to lobby for unification of the various regions under Croatian rule. Also, yes, the three countries did 'leave' Austria without approval, but it's more complicated than that. The division of Austria-Hungary are meant to reflect tenuous personal union under the Hapsburg emperor. De jure, Hungary, Galicia and Bosnia are still part of Austria. But in reality, the three regents and their governments are effectively independent due to the weakening of Hapsburg central authority. It's even worse with Galicia when the regent and king of Galicia is also the hereditary Tsar of Ukraine, courtesy of Vasyl von Hapsburg. This means that Galicia is de facto a province of Ukraine, with representatives answering to the Ukrainian Central Rada instead of the Austrian Reichsrat.

Also, for your info, I'm writing a vignette from the Austrian point of view, so this will be brought up. :3

Hi Everyone! I've been a longtime lurker on the site, enjoying everyone else's works and ideas, and though I should start to contribute. So, here's a teaser for a full Map I'm working on right now...

PoD-1802 A.D.
The United States of America and members of the Confederation of America, 1973.
UnitedweR.png

(Questions are welcome!)

Hi Everyone! I've been a longtime lurker on the site, enjoying everyone else's works and ideas, and though I should start to contribute. So, here's a teaser for a full Map I'm working on right now...

PoD-1802 A.D.
The United States of America and members of the Confederation of America, 1973.
View attachment 349038
(Questions are welcome!)
>sees glorious colours and subdivisions
>just a lurker

HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.