DBWI: Should China Act to Stop the Human Right Violations in Tibet?

(OOC: This is a DBWI.)

Should China do anything to stop the human rights violations in Tibet? And what could they do? Especially when China considers such matters internal matters due to their own spotted record on human rights. And is it even possible to intervene military and throw out the Lamaist regime?

(OOC: I repeat, this is a DBWI. Tibet is independent.)

Should China do anything to stop the human rights violations in Tibet? And what could they do? Especially when China considers such matters internal matters due to their own spotted record on human rights. And is it even possible to intervene military and throw out the Lamaist regime?

President Wang Jingsheng barely got re-elected in 1998 despite his appeals to former Communist Party cadres, and current President Hu Jintao is more concerned about the nature of troops that were sent to Afghanistan and Pakistan to aid in the capture of Osama bin Laden back in 2003. I seriously doubt that President Hu wants another mess on his plate considering the Falun Gong debacle from 1999....

President Wang Jingsheng barely got re-elected in 1998 despite his appeals to former Communist Party cadres, and current President Hu Jintao is more concerned about the nature of troops that were sent to Afghanistan and Pakistan to aid in the capture of Osama bin Laden back in 2003. I seriously doubt that President Hu wants another mess on his plate considering the Falun Gong debacle from 1999....

That has very little to do with the OP.

But I guess you're right in saying that China has its hands full. An invasion of Tibet would be unthinkable and would pretty much kill China's rep, but maybe sanction and embargos against Tibet?

That has very little to do with the OP.

But I guess you're right in saying that China has its hands full. An invasion of Tibet would be unthinkable and would pretty much kill China's rep, but maybe sanction and embargos against Tibet?
The problem with the sanction and embargoes proposed by the United Nations General Assembly has been that the one of the main sponsors has been the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) under President Eduard Limonov, who has been launching his pogroms against Jewish refuseniks since 1995. If anything, Wang Jingsheng and Hu Jintao have a point in saying that the proposals are aimed mainly at creating a political embarassment for the Chinese government, and aimed at taking away from the current scrutiny on Russia's human rights violations.....

ninebucks

Banned
Personally, I do think something has to be done to bring this medieval regime into the 21st century! Oppressing women and forbidding basic economic and political rights to the peasants may have been okay in the 14th century, but now the world simply can't allow it to continue.

However, China does have its relationship to consider, and ultimately, its going to need India on side. I know traditionally China and India have been at loggerheads about everything, but maybe with the Mumbai Olympics this summer, a greater degree of leverage can be exercised.

However, China does have its relationship to consider, and ultimately, its going to need India on side. I know traditionally China and India have been at loggerheads about everything, but maybe with the Mumbai Olympics this summer, a greater degree of leverage can be exercised.
Well, considering that the European Union under P.M. Marine Le Pen is considered the third largest trading partner for the nation of Tibet (after China and India respectively), many are wondering why the European Union doesn't impose its own embargo and trade tarriff, especially after its sactions against Israel in 2004...

Well, considering that the European Union under P.M. Marine Le Pen is considered the third largest trading partner for the nation of Tibet (after China and India respectively), many are wondering why the European Union doesn't impose its own embargo and trade tarriff, especially after its sactions against Israel in 2004...
The sanctions against Israel were really just a powerplay, though, for goodwill in the ME. Everyone knew that the US wouldn't simply let it's ally die of economic starvation, and the US carrier fleet already in the Mediterranean all but assured that the EU's paper blockade wouldn't amount to anything. EU policy of late seems to be aimed at making the Arab nations forget exactly who else has been supporting and selling weapons to Israel for the last several decades.

The sanctions against Israel were really just a powerplay, though, for goodwill in the ME. Everyone knew that the US wouldn't simply let it's ally die of economic starvation, and the US carrier fleet already in the Mediterranean all but assured that the EU's paper blockade wouldn't amount to anything. EU policy of late seems to be aimed at making the Arab nations forget exactly who else has been supporting and selling weapons to Israel for the last several decades.
The problem is that this ignores the fact that the same Arab nations that the EU has set up trading relations with, were behind the 2000 "2K" bombings in Seattle, WA and Los Angeles, CA.

As for China, at least they were able to round up the former North Korean unit in Pyongyang behind the 2005 bombing in Los Angeles, CA. With China, they have shown a proven record of fighting terrorism. With the European Union, one is almost tempted to ask if they are supporting it....

MrP

Banned

OOC: *P breaks down in tears*

The problem is that this ignores the fact that the same Arab nations that the EU has set up trading relations with, were behind the 2000 "2K" bombings in Seattle, WA and Los Angeles, CA.

As for China, at least they were able to round up the former North Korean unit in Pyongyang behind the 2005 bombing in Los Angeles, CA. With China, they have shown a proven record of fighting terrorism. With the European Union, one is almost tempted to ask if they are supporting it....
Supporting it? I think that's far too harsh. A general feeling in the EU government that "they deserved it" and "they brought it upon themselves"? Maybe.

Supporting it? I think that's far too harsh. A general feeling in the EU government that "they deserved it" and "they brought it upon themselves"? Maybe.
Doesn't that make things worse? This may not be the proper forum to debate Israeli-Palestinian relations, but why should the United States support policies which are considered detrimental to the "War on Terrorism"? China has been a valuable ally since 2000, and I seriously doubt any Administration since the John Glenn (D-OH, 1984-1988) would allow a policy that sacrificed either China's or Israel's security.

Doesn't that make things worse? This may not be the proper forum to debate Israeli-Palestinian relations, but why should the United States support policies which are considered detrimental to the "War on Terrorism"? China has been a valuable ally since 2000, and I seriously doubt any Administration since the John Glenn (D-OH, 1984-1988) would allow a policy that sacrificed either China's or Israel's security.
Since when did the US support the policies of the European Union? Europe has made the choice to aggressively portray itself as the "progressive alternative" to the US, and we can see that the US's support for European integration during the Cold War did less to create an ally as much as it helped make a rival, and such is the way with creatures as long-living as nation-states. With the end of the Not-War, it's only natural that there would be a realignment of allies.

Why does China always have to be the one to clean up the messes in Asia? Why can't India or Uyghurstan do it? Stop telling First Powers to fix everything. Greece cleaned up the Balkans handily enough.

Well, back to the topic at hand, before people complain about the "cultural imperialism" of the idea of human rights, the theocratic caste system of Tibet has created a system wherein up to 80% of women are often functionally illiterate, and are often denied basic rights of employment. To make matters worse, according to the State Department, last June, Christian missionaries from Philadelphia, PA were recently arrested in Lhasa because they were trying to teach literacy to local children. They have become the cause celebre for many conservatives who are calling for the release of the "Philly Seven"....

Even the Market-Commies in Beijing are a far better option than that fiend the Dalai Lama, at least under them they'll be able to read. I say occupation is the only option, maybe incorporating it like Hong Kong

Why does China always have to be the one to clean up the messes in Asia? Why can't India or Uyghurstan do it? Stop telling First Powers to fix everything. Greece cleaned up the Balkans handily enough.

India wouldn't dare. They got all that religius tensions, doing something might provoke something worse.