A Blank Map Thread

Deleted member 105545

dood, go to the forums, click on MBAM main thread, and look for the europe map

Europe and East Asia from the wiki. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can merge them, and I don't think there's a whole world version. There's another version of the Europe map here, but with more of North Africa included. Also try searching for 'ck2 map'; you'll get quite a lot of similar style maps to the one you have, but with larger provinces.

Ten thousand thanks. It looks like I might have to commission something, then. Those maps have the density of provinces I want (too many for the northeastern parts of European Russia). But in a fresh start I would lay down these rules:

-provinces should follow all historical international borders from 1790-Present (excepting the HRE's minor internal borders and bizarre stuff).
-provinces should follow major internal federal or administrative divisions(i.e. US states, Russian republics)
-provinces should follow notable territorial claims.
-provinces should follow the historical borders of unrecognized states.
-provinces should follow all major geographic boundaries (mountain ranges, mid-sized to large/notable rivers, boundaries between climate zones, etc.)
-provinces should follow historical ethnic/linguistic/religious boundaries from 1790-Present.
-provinces should follow interesting/plausible border possibilities.
-provinces should be shaped in a way so that adding or taking away a province from a nation shouldn't make an ugly border in most cases. No super weird shapes. Those maps from the wiki actually do this well for part of Europe.
-major cities should correspond to one province. Exceptions to this could be cities which have been divided historically, like Berlin and Jerusalem.

I'm sure there would be other rules, like format, projection, etc. It's a tall order, yeah. But I think something like this would be an invaluable resource to the whole forum. Maybe this could be a collective commission with a gofundme? I would donate $50 to that.

Ten thousand thanks. It looks like I might have to commission something, then. Those maps have the density of provinces I want (too many for the northeastern parts of European Russia). But in a fresh start I would lay down these rules:

-provinces should follow all historical international borders from 1790-Present (excepting the HRE's minor internal borders and bizarre stuff).
-provinces should follow major internal federal or administrative divisions(i.e. US states, Russian republics)
-provinces should follow all major geographic boundaries (mountain ranges, mid-sized to large/notable rivers, boundaries between climate zones, etc.)
-provinces should follow historical ethnic/linguistic/religious boundaries from 1790-Present.
-provinces should be shaped in a way so that adding or taking away a province from a nation shouldn't make an ugly border in most cases. No super weird shapes. Those maps from the wiki actually do this well for part of Europe.
-major cities should correspond to one province. Exceptions to this could be cities which have been divided historically, like Berlin and Jerusalem.

I'm sure there would be other rules, like format, projection, etc. It's a tall order, yeah. But I think something like this would be an invaluable resource to the whole forum. Maybe this could be a collective commission with a gofundme? I would donate $50 to that.

Here's one from Lascupa0788.

provencalb-png.211489

I have recently stumbled across a map for a DH mod that might fit your description.
It is absolutely massive however (talking about 30000x12000 for the entire map) and doesn't include northern Siberia, northern Canada and Antarctica, as most other Paradox maps.
This is only Europe, if you are interested in the rest of the map and think your computer can handle it, let me know.
https://imgur.com/a/pJAEN

Otherwise I've been interested in creating such a map for quite a some time now but never had the drive to make a list of all the relevant borders and provinces that would be required. If you would specify some of your criteria for a certain region (i.E. Western Europe or similar) I can give it a shot on a smaller scale and we'll see how to go on.

Deleted member 105545

I have recently stumbled across a map for a DH mod that might fit your description.
It is absolutely massive however (talking about 30000x12000 for the entire map) and doesn't include northern Siberia, northern Canada and Antarctica, as most other Paradox maps.
This is only Europe, if you are interested in the rest of the map and think your computer can handle it, let me know.
https://imgur.com/a/pJAEN

Otherwise I've been interested in creating such a map for quite a some time now but never had the drive to make a list of all the relevant borders and provinces that would be required. If you would specify some of your criteria for a certain region (i.E. Western Europe or similar) I can give it a shot on a smaller scale and we'll see how to go on.
EcuEp.jpg

Don Quijote

Banned

Unfortunately the ones I linked to are all random internally, although they roughly follow international borders. Have you thought about using a hex map?

A blank map of Great Britain with borders of the Anglo-Saxon Heptarchy. Sussex, Essex, and Middlesex are shown as part of Wessex. Please refrain from complaining about inaccuracies.
heptarchy.png

Last edited:
Please refrain from complaining about inaccuracies.

Um, why not? If the map's supposed to for others to use, then absolutely they should be made aware where there are mistakes, if it's for personal use, then fine but still a bit odd.

I mean for starters, why have you merged Essex and Sussex into Wessex (Middlesex was probably part of Essex for the most part and not a separate Kingdom). And what date is this supposed to be of?

Um, why not? If the map's supposed to for others to use, then absolutely they should be made aware where there are mistakes, if it's for personal use, then fine but still a bit odd.

I mean for starters, why have you merged Essex and Sussex into Wessex (Middlesex was probably part of Essex for the most part and not a separate Kingdom). And what date is this supposed to be of?
The year is 802, a time in which Essex, Sussex, and Middlesex were under Wessex' hegemony.

If there are so many inaccuracies in my map, just make your own. Every computer comes with Microsoft Paint.

The year is 802, a time in which Essex, Sussex, and Middlesex were under Wessex' hegemony.

If there are so many inaccuracies in my map, just make your own. Every computer comes with Microsoft Paint.

Well, the former is at least a valid explanation but would have been useful to know before.

As for the latter point, I can't work out the attitude- if the map's just for your use, why post it here (rather than the normal Map Thread) if you don't want improvements. If it's for others to use, why be so defensive about errors.

Well, the former is at least a valid explanation but would have been useful to know before.

As for the latter point, I can't work out the attitude- if the map's just for your use, why post it here (rather than the normal Map Thread) if you don't want improvements. If it's for others to use, why be so defensive about errors.
It’s not just for my use. Any “errors” can be easily fixed in Paint or any other program you would need to actually use this map.

It’s not just for my use. Any “errors” can be easily fixed in Paint or any other program you would need to actually use this map.

Right, so what's with the hyper-defensive attitude? I mean if it's because you've not got time to do more research yourself, or you can't find resources online or something like that, that's perfectly fine, it's just you appear to be taking a 'I don't care if its wrong and how dare you say it is' approach. Which is odd.

Right, so what's with the hyper-defensive attitude? I mean if it's because you've not got time to do more research yourself, or you can't find resources online or something like that, that's perfectly fine, it's just you appear to be taking a 'I don't care if its wrong and how dare you say it is' approach. Which is odd.
Why don't you just point out all the inaccuracies in this map, which I used to make mine.
250px-Anglo-Saxon_Heptarchy.jpg