Planetocopia Map Thread

Rhad

Banned
View attachment 317503

Alright! The map is finished. I'm kind of stuck though - I'd prefer to generate the resources in rather than place them manually, but I'm not sure how to actually do that. Advice would be appreciated!

EDIT: oh

View attachment 317506

OK, looks like it's actually finished all around then. Great! I'll see if I can't put this on the steam workshop. That said, if you want to randomise the ancient ruin/resource locations you'll probably need to open up the map in worldbuilder. Downloading it only takes a few minutes, so that should be easy.

Holy crap, I actually finished it.

Nice!

Well, yeah, feel free to post feedback!
Wow!

OK, so I created my own tilted Earth. Its North Pole is at 70th parallel south and 179th meridian west in real life.
EkRFKWc.png

One tilt that I haven't see is basically the North Pole somewhere in OTL Central Asia, say at Alma Ata, Kazakhstan.

Wait, if you put the North Pole in a certain place, would places that are above/below it IRL also be in the North Pole?

Wait, if you put the North Pole in a certain place, would places that are above/below it IRL also be in the North Pole?
If you put the north pole in a certain place, every horizontal direction is south of that. If the north pole is in Manhattan, the Bronx is south, Brooklyn is south, queens is south, Jersey city is south, long island is south, and so on. Going up and down in an elevator, though, is no compass direction at all. It's still north pole.

To figure out your latitude, determine your distance from the new north pole and divide by ~110 km, then subtract it from 90. Finding longitude requires you to designate a prime meridian.

Last edited:
Is there a formula for longitude?

You can literally pick a number between -180 and +180. Meridians can't be preserved when the axis is changed, and the location of the 0° meridian is inherently arbitrary, so there's no real meaning to the value of longitude. Climate, as well, is mostly dependent on latitude and the specific arrangement of land and sea.

If you want the longitudinal difference between two arbitrary non-polar points on the Earth, that would require vector algebra, which I am terrible at. A formula is given here, but making it specific it to the latitude-longitude system will require some work.