The M-BAM Main Thread

County-level is the third level in China. It has the same average size as American counties, even bigger in Xinjiang and Tibet.

In Chinese constitution, the structure is Province-County (2 levels). However, in order to help the development of big cities, several nearby counties usually make up a Prefecture-level City, which makes counties the third level in fact. Counties have been stable for the past 2000 years. Prefectures are not as stable as counties, depended on policies. In China, people often use province+county to define "where are you from" or "where is the place". I think it is good to include Chinese counties in M-bam such a great map.

I could do Chinese counties. You guys can decide whether to include them when finished. Do you know how to convert the projection? My base map is a little bit larger than the China part in M-bam. I could edit it but the projection is a big problem.

Hmm, it's fine if you don't do all Chinese counties, but some provinces/autonomous regions/municipalities do need them. I would recommend Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Tibet, Qinghai, Chongqing and at least Garzê, Aba, Liangshan and Panzhihua of Sichuan as test points for inclusion of third-level divisions in MBAM.

ST15RM

Banned
Hmm, it's fine if you don't do all Chinese counties, but some provinces/autonomous regions/municipalities do need them. I would recommend Heilongjiang, Inner Mongolia, Xinjiang, Tibet, Qinghai, Chongqing and at least Garzê, Aba, Liangshan and Panzhihua of Sichuan as test points for inclusion of third-level divisions in MBAM.
I'm on it!

ST15RM

Banned
we can use the US Township-BAM to help with the Townships in America, which are our third-level administrative divisions.

ST15RM

Banned
Here's my progress so far, I mostly did the crimea and surrounding areas
ukraine.png

I would say that any bigger, and there's no reason to use a global map projection. Even the M-BAM is so big that it is rarely going to be one single image. Zoom in further and you're better off using a conical projection or something else that's suited more for regional maps.

Speaking of third-level administrative divisions, is anybody going to do French Guiana? There, the third-level divisions could easily be the size of Suriname's first level divisions (the smaller ones, of course).

Speaking of third-level administrative divisions, is anybody going to do French Guiana? There, the third-level divisions could easily be the size of Suriname's first level divisions (the smaller ones, of course).
The problem is that there ain't third level subdivisions of many countries - Botswana can't even decide which second level subdivisions are the correct ones so why third level subdivisions?
Unless you want to cover Russia, China, Indonesia, Australia, the US Townships, Mexico and Canada yeah then that's fine

ST15RM

Banned
I made an error. The HBAM will only be 3x MBAM. This is for detailed regional maps, like wars between states or small countries. I may just release it in parts so people can use it without their computers crashing.

ST15RM

Banned
This was weird...
Both yesterday night and this morning, I couldn't access the site because it "refused to connect". Did this happen to you guys too?