Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Deleted member 105545

fakeflag-sk1-sk2-cz1-yw3-ga1-ga2.png

C Z E C H O S L O V A K O G A L A C I A
F O R L I F E!

Here's a map from the documentary World War 2 From Space:

IMG_3837.jpg

Disgusting.

Clearly a program that's all about maps has no time for actually making sure the maps are factually correct. They make this same mistake several times, and also consistently use Hitler's personal standard instead of the actual Nazi flag when representing Germany.

Oh they also pretend that D-Day was the turning point of the war. It comes complete with this: "June 6, 1944. The fate of the world hangs in the balance"

XD

Deleted member 105545

BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAA

I'm currently training to be a history teacher, and wandering around in the department files, I found this; the worst thing I've ever seen. The other teacher was dismayed at my disgust, crying "Well I didn't make it!"

I despair for the education of the youth of Britain.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 821

Thande

Donor
I'm currently training to be a history teacher, and wandering around in the department files, I found this; the worst thing I've ever seen. The other teacher was dismayed at my disgust, crying "Well I didn't make it!"
I presume that if you ever come to teach that period you'll be using Worlda maps from AH.com?

(It was a daunting realisation when I realised we actually produce maps more accurate than any 'proper' historical map producer, arguably even more so than the DK and Times Atlases of World History).

Isaac Beach

Banned

Ah yes, the -apparently massive- Spanish subcontinent and, uh, well it looks like Greenland's going for a jog.

What intrigues me about that map is not the bad quality of it, but when I looked at the logo the company I work for I noticed some ghastly similarities
MKmapleft.jpg

The way Italy has kicked the Balkans into Asia Minor and vanquished the Black and Caspian Sea by doing so is the same and the Kamchatka Peninsula is also jutting out of the same rectangular bit of land. (admittedly that company logo is rather thrifty about depicting islands, but the main landmass is just like your map)
In addition I today I took a look at the right part where the American continent is (on this photo hidden behind the box-carrying arm) and Greenland has been shoved in the very same manner on top of Canada.

So whoever has designed this world map, it does get used...

What intrigues me about that map is not the bad quality of it, but when I looked at the logo the company I work for I noticed some ghastly similarities
View attachment 346707
The way Italy has kicked the Balkans into Asia Minor and vanquished the Black and Caspian Sea by doing so is the same and the Kamchatka Peninsula is also jutting out of the same rectangular bit of land. (admittedly that company logo is rather thrifty about depicting islands, but the main landmass is just like your map)
In addition I today I took a look at the right part where the American continent is (on this photo hidden behind the box-carrying arm) and Greenland has been shoved in the very same manner on top of Canada.

Not to mention the British Isles aren't there.

View attachment 346707

As a Pacific-centric map, it makes a bit more sense to have the distorted Europe and Greenland. Still really ugly and horrible, and your company might have made it worse with the islands... what the hell happened with Indonesia there? So the British schoolbook guys took the original, cut and pasted it to make an Eurocentric map (Afrocentric would be the better word for our most common projections when I think about it)... why not take a halway decent map to start with?