Return of Horrible Educational Maps

05kgfCb.jpg

For some reason, Arizona and New Mexico are in danger of sea-level rise by 2100.

EDIT: Found in the science building of a university campus.
Pretty sure I have the copy of Popular Science from which that page comes lying on my desk.

IMG_4352.JPG
Not educational, just some strange propaganda sticker on a cigarette vending machine:

(Text reads: Think European, act European, buy European. Initiative Wealth in Europe by work in Europe)
From an ATL where the Iron Curtain fell and most of Europe was united, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia stayed together, France annexed Belgium and Netherlands to keep up. Western Turkey is an independent part of Europe, but not the Soviet Union. Romanians are good Europeans, but not those Bulgarians who are in league with the Soviets or maybe the Chinese! Also Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica are likely African now.

I wish I had it in front of me to take a picture, but in 9th grade we had a really bad history textbook with some of the worst map. The worst one had a map of Europe during the late 1800's, that had no Belgium. They didn't just split it between the neighboring countries, they just put a sea where Belgium was supposed to be. There was a Bay of Belgium between France and the Netherlands.

I found this map of Europe a few days ago at a dollar store, on the cover of a diary, probably cheaply made, imported from China. Things to note:
  • the map is apparently from before the breakup of the USSR/Yugoslavia, despite the diary being brand new
  • Finland is part of the USSR
  • The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg are all part of Germany
  • the UK looks like a dog poop in freefall
  • it looks like Hungary has been partitioned between Slovakia, Yugoslavia and Romania - or maybe it's been sucked into the void
  • Greece looks like a hastily made prison shiv pointed at Crete - plus a new island out of nowhere
  • A land bridge between Italy and Sicily has appeared, while a mega-Malta has popped up to replace it
  • Brittany has fallen into the depths
  • The entire Mediterranean coast around Marseille and Genoa has been pushed downwards, undoubtedly by all the Dutch refugees fleeing German persecution
  • something is going on with Switzerland and Austria
  • Tunisia is suffering massive flooding as all the water displaced by mega-Malta goes south
ISkVRHO.jpg
GrzF4Wy.jpg

This other one is from a few years ago, and it is actually meant to be educational. There was an exhibition at the State Library of Queensland about the various places Australian troops were sent during WW1, and the map has one glaring flaw...

7Qs0Ulb.jpg

(it's a map of Europe just before WW2 if you somehow didn't notice)
Everyone at the State Library apparently just assumed the Russians stood at the border and shot in the general direction of Germany, hoping no Poles got in the way...

I found this map of Europe a few days ago at a dollar store, on the cover of a diary, probably cheaply made, imported from China. Things to note:
  • the map is apparently from before the breakup of the USSR/Yugoslavia, despite the diary being brand new
  • Finland is part of the USSR
  • The Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg are all part of Germany
  • the UK looks like a dog poop in freefall
  • it looks like Hungary has been partitioned between Slovakia, Yugoslavia and Romania - or maybe it's been sucked into the void
  • Greece looks like a hastily made prison shiv pointed at Crete - plus a new island out of nowhere
  • A land bridge between Italy and Sicily has appeared, while a mega-Malta has popped up to replace it
  • Brittany has fallen into the depths
  • The entire Mediterranean coast around Marseille and Genoa has been pushed downwards, undoubtedly by all the Dutch refugees fleeing German persecution
  • something is going on with Switzerland and Austria
  • Tunisia is suffering massive flooding as all the water displaced by mega-Malta goes south
And Greenwich is somewhere between Britain and German-controlled Low Countries. Possibly relocating to Sealand.

snip
I don't even know where to start with this one.
It's actually broken me.
Oh man, I just want to take a closer look. Let's break it down (excluding the fact that they are all in different scales):
  • Modern-day, post-war Poland is used.
  • Great Britain still has Ireland and is looks oddly misshapen to me
  • They didn't bother painting over what obviously labelled Paris
  • Alaska and Hawaii is included, but not Corsica (no colonies either, though that's understandable)
And the main event: the USSR. What a clusterfuck.
  • The USSR includes Greece, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Romania, Moldova, Turkey and Iran. All in modern borders.
  • It's missing half of Russia, including everything north of Ryazan, which means neither Leningrad and Moscow are included, and everything across what looks like the Amur river, the Belarusian SSR and the recent Baltic SSRs.
What a wild ride this was.

Last edited:
Not really inaccurate, that's the actual state borders of the Great Lakes states. They just added the water sections that are usually pretty rare on US maps.

Yup. Just look at NC; they filled in the sounds. Michigan just looks real weird, but if we're talking the literal borders...

It just looks misleading, instead.