OTL Map Thread Mk IV., 2014-

is Gaelic really that prevalent in Ireland? The majority seems to be green-majority striped. Rather more than I expected, though I suppose that those areas are mostly the countryside and spots far from English and Scottish colonies anyways. Almost ominous how pink the Highlands are, though Lowland Scots and Highlander Chiefs are more to blame for the depopulation of the area than the English.

I assume it's from the RoI census proficiency figures, which are, AFAIK, self-selected. And since Irish is taught in school in the RoI, a lot of people would be inclined to think they're proficient.

Hey, they're both that way in the UCS.

As for Scots, I'm using the demographic data found on Wikipedia, coming directly from the 2011 census data. So basically it's defined by whether or not people say they speak Scots or English.

UCS doesn't really work when you're doing that sort of fine pattern effect, it was never designed with Linguistic maps in mind (in which case we'd have gone with a very different colour scheme).

UCS doesn't really work when you're doing that sort of fine pattern effect, it was never designed with Linguistic maps in mind (in which case we'd have gone with a very different colour scheme).

I'd go further, and say for any context in which gradient differences between multiple points are required, no standard colour scheme can universally cover every scenario, or even merely the more well-documented OTL scenarios. Something as basic as expressing level of support for various parties in multi-party democracies will require serious compromises in what is actually shown. Throw in linguistic and religious maps (the other two data sets most commonly drawn with gradients), and it's an impossible task for any standard colour scheme to represent with gradients.

VT45

Banned
Sorry, been a bit out of the loop on that. What's the accepted colour scheme for languages?

Thande

Donor
As for Scots, I'm using the demographic data found on Wikipedia, coming directly from the 2011 census data. So basically it's defined by whether or not people say they speak Scots or English.
I think it's a bit confusing to use the same colour for Welsh and Scots. Welsh and Scots Gaelic would make some degree of sense, but not Scots. I assume there isn't data for Northern Ireland or you could use one colour for Scots and Ulster Scots.

VT45

Banned
There is data, but no municipality had more than 20% reporting speaking Ulster Scots, which kinda surprised me.

Sorry, been a bit out of the loop on that. What's the accepted colour scheme for languages?

I don't think there is one. In as much as there is any, it generally seems to be "from the colour scheme of your choice, use the national colour corresponding to the primary (historically-speaking) country that uses that language". However, none of these really work when striping is considered as a method of displaying primary/secondary language usage.

There isn't one, a lot of people try applying the relevant national colour from one scheme or another, but you'd be better off just doing your own one.

I think it's a bit confusing to use the same colour for Welsh and Scots. Welsh and Scots Gaelic would make some degree of sense, but not Scots. I assume there isn't data for Northern Ireland or you could use one colour for Scots and Ulster Scots.

They are actually different- RCS Purple Wales and Blue Scotland, the problem is that you really can't tell this at all when you then crosshatch everything with British Pink.

Personally I think Gaelic and Scots are... overestimated there.

Welsh, on the other hand, seems broadly accurate despite the colour choice meaning it's hard to make out. Maybe go with something like... a dark green?

mapsontheweb:

Authoritarian regimes currently supported by the United States by when the U.S. began supporting them
This is very confusing.
First off, what do they mean by "support"? That's incredibly vague and it doesn't tell me anything about the USA's relationship with the countries in this map. I don't remember ever hearing about the US "supporting" Azerbaijan or Equatorial Guinea. For that matter, Afghanistan, the clearest example in recent history of the USA "supporting an authoritarian regime", isn't on the map. Sure, we might trade a lot with most of these states, but we also trade a lot with many other states that are just as undemocratic as the ones on the map that aren't shown here.
Also, I don't understand their criteria for calling a state authoritarian. Singapore certainly doesn't count; according to the most recent Democracy Index survey, Singapore was rated similarly to Mexico, Tunisia, and Namibia, and I would hardly call any of those states authoritarian.

Frankly, I don't find this map useful in the slightest. Seems to me it's trying to present a narrative of American neocolonialism, but it doesn't make any sense.

VT45

Banned
Greater London postcodes, this time with nice clean borders!
JMvv2L3.png

This is very confusing.
First off, what do they mean by "support"? That's incredibly vague and it doesn't tell me anything about the USA's relationship with the countries in this map. I don't remember ever hearing about the US "supporting" Azerbaijan or Equatorial Guinea. For that matter, Afghanistan, the clearest example in recent history of the USA "supporting an authoritarian regime", isn't on the map. Sure, we might trade a lot with most of these states, but we also trade a lot with many other states that are just as undemocratic as the ones on the map that aren't shown here.
Also, I don't understand their criteria for calling a state authoritarian. Singapore certainly doesn't count; according to the most recent Democracy Index survey, Singapore was rated similarly to Mexico, Tunisia, and Namibia, and I would hardly call any of those states authoritarian.

Frankly, I don't find this map useful in the slightest. Seems to me it's trying to present a narrative of American neocolonialism, but it doesn't make any sense.
I think it is states the US has given weapons too lately

That still doesn't make any more sense.

What doesn't make sense to me is why yall are starting a political debate over modern politics in one of the important stickied threads on the map forum - you know, the one that's supposed to help forum goers find useful resources?

This stuff just detracts from the threads utility, and knowing how that specific topic normally plays out in discussions, it could very quickly get flamy in here; that's something nobody wants.

Edit: spelling on a touch keyboard is hard.