Objectively speaking this is a borderline utopian timeline, provided you don't live in Peru.
Peru, Japan, India in the short term are probably the only countries clearly worse off. Long term I think things will get worse for many places compared to OTL.

But at the end of the day, things will still probably be much better. No Holocaust, no Holodomor, no Maoist China, less devestating WWII equivalent (unless you're in Peru or Japan)

Unless of course there's an even more devestating war in the future.

I've introduced my friend to this, he just reached the introduction of Special Agent Nixon. This is his reaction.

"Welcome to the FBI, Special Agent Nixon."
FLIPS TABLE
im shook rn
oml
tbf I am extremely excited to see how this plays out *popcorn emoji*

So I was planning an update today, but in light of certain recent events I'm going to reorder certain updates to avoid giving the impression that I'm trying to commentate on recent political events.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's probably a good idea.

BTW, hypothetical question - let's say the Radicals take full control of the Progressive Party and kick out the Moderates for not being leftist enough, declaring them "traitors to the Revolution and memory of Floyd Olson, like LaGuardia!" Now then, would the Moderates pull an LBL and form their own new party, or just defect to a preexisting one?

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's probably a good idea.

BTW, hypothetical question - let's say the Radicals take full control of the Progressive Party and kick out the Moderates for not being leftist enough, declaring them "traitors to the Revolution and memory of Floyd Olson, like LaGuardia!" Now then, would the Moderates pull an LBL and form their own new party, or just defect to a preexisting one?
Under the current system, form a new party, but fusion with existing ones. Such has already happened, both ways, in many states, most notably California.

Under the current system, form a new party, but fusion with existing ones. Such has already happened, both ways, in many states, most notably California.

Ah, okay.

BTW, what Party System are we on, currently? I figure the Fourth ended earlier when the Democrats collapsed, but is this still the Fifth, or have we moved on to Sixth?

Ah, okay.

BTW, what Party System are we on, currently? I figure the Fourth ended earlier when the Democrats collapsed, but is this still the Fifth, or have we moved on to Sixth?
Future historians won't split the period of Democrats vs Republicans into two systems, so this would be considered the Fourth, starting the transition in the mid 20s with it finished in 1932 with Olson's victory.

I have to wonder if LBJ's populists will eventually end up in a CDU/CSU type arrangement with the Progressives. It would make total sense to me.

I have to wonder if LBJ's populists will eventually end up in a CDU/CSU type arrangement with the Progressives. It would make total sense to me.

Given that the LBJ populists are already a coalition of numerous small parties, I can see them easily allying with at least some of the Progs. Especially if the latter ends up suffering a schism between the Moderates and Radicals.

Peru, Japan, India in the short term are probably the only countries clearly worse off. Long term I think things will get worse for many places compared to OTL.

But at the end of the day, things will still probably be much better. No Holocaust, no Holodomor, no Maoist China, less devestating WWII equivalent (unless you're in Peru or Japan)

Unless of course there's an even more devestating war in the future.

Called it:

Kung Fucious said:
Also, the world seems primed for an even bigger European war some point down the line.

Right "now", the world is arguably a better place than OTL, but the shit could really hit the fan in the next decade or two.

PROGRESSIVE
PATRICIA
OLSON

MCCARTHY
FOR CONGRESS!
John Bernard threw the leaflet down on Elmer Benson's desk. Beneath the words was a very good picture of the young McCarthy couple. The former governor glanced at it, then looked up at the candidate. "Yes?" Benson asked. "You asked to meet?"

"Do you know what this is?" Bernard demanded.

"It appears to be a leaflet for a Congressional candidate; Patricia Olson is- Patricia Olson McCarthy, I suppose, is challenging Roy Wier in the third district."

"This leaflet," Bernard stated angrily, "was being distributed by members of the teachers' union." When Benson didn't respond, he continued, "A radical union, one that's endorsed you, and one that just a few weeks ago was planning to sit out this primary to avoid raising urban turnout for Humphrey."

Benson shrugged. "I suppose they changed their minds."

"Changed their minds?" Bernard asked. "You control the Progressive machine in this state, you could've told them, and every other radical union in Minneapolis, all of which have gone the same way to stand down, to not back the Olson girl's last minute vanity run."

"I'm not going to sabotage Patricia's campaign, John," Benson replied.

"We had a deal with Helen Winter, we were going to let Wier win with low turnout so I could-"

"I am not going to sabotage her campaign!" Benson shouted. "I do not care about whatever deals we made. I don't care what affect her primary will have on other races." He was standing up at this point. "I'm not going to betray my best friend's daughter for politics. She'll always have a pass. Always." He sat back down.

Bernard, taken aback, began to apologize, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No," Benson said. "Don't apologize. You're right; we had an arrangement, and I've let it get broken. I hope you win, I've endorsed you, I've done everything I can. But I can't betray Floyd."

"It probably wouldn't matter," Bernard lamented. "They'd revolt against you. You can't beat the Olson name in Minnesota."

~~~
In the end, it wasn't a contest. Patricia Olson McCarthy's maiden name certainly helped. No, it was certainly crucial, not just to voters, but to organizers. Her high level of activism in the previous years had only been possible due to her father, and so she knew all of the union leaders and activist group leaders in the area. However, it would be unfair to say she cruised along on her father's name alone. She'd inherited his speaking skills, and her husband Eugene was pretty good as well. The couple were very hard workers. In fact, at times Patricia felt hindered by her father's legacy. She had to change several speeches to insert more Floyd Olson quotes in them, so many she felt it was over the top. But the crowds ate it up.

Patricia Olson destroyed Roy Wier, 61-37. That margin was even larger than Benson's successful primarying of Henrik Shipstead, where the old moderate incumbent lost 43-55 to the younger radical former governor. But the most anticipated race was the gubernatorial primary, where, on the back of the highest midterm primary turnout Minneapolis had ever experienced, Mayor Hubert Humphrey beat John Bernard 48.5 to 48.2.