Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
States of the United States (Washington) by Government Type, 1925

Very interesting premise, but a couple of questions. Is the scenario suppose to be set in 1925 or 2016/2017?

And since you referred to the United States with (Washington), does that mean there's another country called the United States (Maybe United States (Boston))?

Very interesting premise, but a couple of questions. Is the scenario suppose to be set in 1925 or 2016/2017?
The former.

And since you referred to the United States with (Washington), does that mean there's another country called the United States (Maybe United States (Boston))?
The "Free States of America" and "Empire of the Golden Sea" also refer to themselves as the United States of America. Their capitals are located in Boston and Burr (OTL Kansas City).

What is Xiaomlo?
From over on SV.com: Xiamlo is the term for Siam in the Min South dialect of Hokkien. I was thinking that the Chinese diaspora would be significantly larger than OTL in such a scenario, and with Thailand one of the nation's with the most Hokkienese immigrants (even the Thai King's line is part Hokkienese:hushedface:), I saw the Hokkienese basically taking over Siam.
Where is New Tunis?
OTL Baton Rouge.
Why is Istanbul called
It's actually OTL Xi'an with a name I came up with while being phenomenally lazy.

It looks like there's an isolated Andalucian colony right under Lake Erie, surrounded by other Arab(?) colonies. How did that isolated colony get there? Are the colonies in New England and underneath the Andalucian colony Arab or Turkish or something else?
The coloring system isn't all that accurate, but here, new jersey-new york-maryland (plus a couple of states I can't name) is a former Andalucian colony.

Last edited:
From over on SV.com: Xiamlo is the term for Siam in the Min South dialect of Hokkien. I was thinking that the Chinese diaspora would be significantly larger than OTL in such a scenario, and with Thailand one of the nation's with the most Hokkienese immigrants (even the Thai King's line is part Hokkienese:hushedface:), I saw the Hokkienese basically taking over Siam.

OTL Baton Rouge.
It's actually OTL Xi'an with a name I came up with while being phenomenally lazy.

The coloring system isn't all that accurate, but here, new jersey-new york-maryland (plus a couple of states I can't name) is a former Andalucian colony.
Thanks for replying.

Baton Rouge! I 100% did not see that coming! I thought for sure it would be New York City or something. Is New Tunis also a former Andalusian colony?

kingdom of coland census 33 ac ethnicities.PNG

I like how Luxembourg got Arelerland returned to it, though I must question if the Dutch north would be happy to lose Maastricht. And whether or not Limburg would have been divided in that way if there was partition of it. Though I suppose a river runs down that route... Actually, is Maastricht in East Limburg or West Limburg? Unless one is called Liege or something. I see Brabant is also partitioned as it is IOTL, so I am wondering why they don't have the country split between Dutch, Walloon, Flemish, and Luxembourgish areas. And is Germany the only country in Western Europe that hasn't devolved power to minority regions? Considering that fully half of Birttainy only speaks French and how Cornwalls here has quadruple the land Cornish speaking people occupy, I would say Posen would be given some autonomy. Though perhaps the new name for Germany means it is mostly just a diplomatic and trade union here. Do you have a write-up for this in the previous thread?

Ayyyyy thanks for hosting it, mate! :D

Slow internet will forever be the bane of my existence. :p

I like how Luxembourg got Arelerland returned to it, though I must question if the Dutch north would be happy to lose Maastricht. And whether or not Limburg would have been divided in that way if there was partition of it. Though I suppose a river runs down that route... Actually, is Maastricht in East Limburg or West Limburg? Unless one is called Liege or something. I see Brabant is also partitioned as it is IOTL, so I am wondering why they don't have the country split between Dutch, Walloon, Flemish, and Luxembourgish areas. And is Germany the only country in Western Europe that hasn't devolved power to minority regions? Considering that fully half of Birttainy only speaks French and how Cornwalls here has quadruple the land Cornish speaking people occupy, I would say Posen would be given some autonomy. Though perhaps the new name for Germany means it is mostly just a diplomatic and trade union here. Do you have a write-up for this in the previous thread?

Many minority languages survived ITTL and have been given co-official status in their respective autonomous regions. I forgot to denote the Flemish as an autonomous state, so that's human error on my part. :p

No, I don't have a write-up for it.

Ayyyyy thanks for hosting it, mate! :D

Slow internet will forever be the bane of my existence. :p

Many minority languages survived ITTL and have been given co-official status in their respective autonomous regions. I forgot to denote the Flemish as an autonomous state, so that's human error on my part. :p

No, I don't have a write-up for it.
thoughts on the map I posted?

Some interesting ideas, but you've definitely exaggerated minority language areas (Occitan, Normand and Provencal existing at all and Cornwall including Devon in particular)

Cornish managed to stick around for longer and still has a large number of speakers that are able to grant it co-official status. Same with Irish/Scottish Gaelic and the French autonomous states.

thoughts on the map I posted?

Looking good! :D

Cornish managed to stick around for longer and still has a large number of speakers that are able to grant it co-official status. Same with Irish/Scottish Gaelic and the French autonomous states.

Yes, but Devon hasn't been majority Celtic since the 10th Century. It's speculated there may have been some small pockets of the language remaining in parts of South Hams into the Middle Ages, but the boundary of the English language was already over the Tamar by 1300AD.

Granted it then endured until the early 19th Century IOTL so surviving longer could end up with minority status in Cornwall, but it's not going to include Devon.

Yes, but Devon hasn't been majority Celtic since the 10th Century. It's speculated there may have been some small pockets of the language remaining in parts of South Hams into the Middle Ages, but the boundary of the English language was already over the Tamar by 1300AD.

Granted it then endured until the early 19th Century IOTL so surviving longer could end up with minority status in Cornwall, but it's not going to include Devon.

Hmm... True, I forgot about that...

Faeelin

Banned
This world is split between the two industrial superpowers, the United States and France. By the end of the 19th century, tensions are near the breaking point.

What a weird timeline. A stronger, surviving Napoleonic France doesn't lead to a weaker America? Get out.

Not a traditional map that you'd expect to find in this thread, but a map all the same:

yLZ8HZe.jpg

It's Europe viewed from Russia, and man, I actually had trouble telling what it was from just the geography alone at first :p

Status
Not open for further replies.