Operation Barbarossa Pt I
Outskirts of Linz
Common Army Command Post
January 29 1939, 0847 Local Time

Austria Hungary was and had been in odd political position since the end of the Great War. The Habsburg-Lorraine Dynasty was scared shitless of becoming part of the German Empire and loss of their power from such an event happening. The Hungarians were scared shitless by the fact the Germans were allied with kingdoms that all had claims on what they viewed as Greater Hungary and knew Germany would give their allies all that land that was rightfully Hungarian dirt. It was this fear that had allowed the two sides to keep them working together instead from them tearing the empire apart. This was because they viewed Germany and her allies as vultures ready to take off the pieces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire for their own empire or kingdoms. This however had nasty side effects on the host of different minorities within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Together with what happened in Serbia and Vento had these minorities running for whatever nation would take them till events forced them to stay.

There however was a third sect within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This sect was largely Austrian-German in ethnic origins. Unlike the minority ethnic sects that wanted to see their land become their own nation, this sect of Austrian-German wanted for Austria and other parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire to join the German Empire instead of being dragged down by the failed leaders being appointed by the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and the ideas of Budapest. They watched in awe of what the leadership in Berlin had done. The German Empire was the world’s second biggest economy, only behind the truly massive United States and its industrial juggernaut. Austria-Hungary was falling behind smaller nations in terms of its economic strength. It was currently the fourth most powerful economy in the world behind the British, but the Brazilians, Japanese, Soviets, and Belgians were all nipping at their heels as their economies grew but the Austro-Hungarian was staying stagnant in terms of economic growth. Even the French and Italian economies were growing as the Austro-Hungarian was stuck in a rut.

Not only were they economically powerful but under the leadership of Berlin they had welded together the different German Kingdoms minus Austria and forged a united German nation. It was a truly impressive feat when one and stopped to think that prior to 1866 the idea of a united German nation was viewed as a pipe dream. With the reforms[1] undertaken in the aftermath of the Great War Germany was looking more and more like the first nation that could become the unquestionable ruler of Europe since the time of the Roman Empire. They wanted to be part of that instead of being held back by the monarchs and the damn Hungarians. Very few however would openly speak of this.

This had been slowly picked up by Bundesnachrichtendienst or the BND the foreign intelligence arm of the German Empire in the early to mid 1920s. By the early 1930s they had put a plan together to make use of this sect for their gain in the event of war with Austria Hungary. It had a major re-work in 1938 and became Operation Barbarossa. By 1939 the BND had created an effective fifth column within Austria-Hungary. This fifth column included Generaloberst Alexander von Dietfried the commanding officer of the Common Army.

Generaloberst Alexander von Dietfried had become the commander of the Austro-Hungarian Common Army in the Summer of 1938. Since taking command he had slowly brought in others who thought like he did into his staff. By now many on the staff of his was not only BND agents but fifth column members against the rule of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine. Von Dietfried and others who he knew he could trust the truth with knew the real reason behind the assassination of Crown Prince Otto. Yet the Austro-Hungarian Empire had just started a war of aggression against the Kingdom of Romania for lack of a better way of dealing with the true reasons behind the assassination of the Crown Prince.

He and others knew that would lead to a wider general European War that would overtake the Great War in how deadly it was. Yet it wouldn’t keep the Austro-Hungarian Empire together, von Dietfried knew to keep this empire together they would have to make many painful reforms. The Hungarians and the idiots in the House of Habsburg-Lorraine would never allow the reforms needed to keep the Empire together. They would only push the nation to implode if they somehow lived through this war. He already had taken steps for a greater future for Austria than what either the idiots who were running the nation.

Even through the Austro-Hungarian Empire was currently only at war with the Kingdom of Romania at the moment many knew the war would spread. It was why the CO of the Common Army was here in Linz instead of closer to the current action in Transylvania. It was the command post for the plan defense of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in this sector from the German Empire. There was a reason von Dietfried had decided to command the army from here, he knew who to trust. Then the sound of an aircraft could be heard overhead. It wasn’t the same sound as the aircraft flown by the Austro-Hungarian Army Air Corp. The engine was very different than those aircraft. It was time von Dietfried.

[1] I always figured that no matter the victorious CP TL Germany would have to reform for face major trouble down the road. ITL there was fairly major reforms done. I have a few ideas for this, but for the record I’m keeping mum on this. But I will say they are a fairly stable constitutional monarchy who is poised to become the unquestioned leader of Europe.

As I said it's probably the easiest flank for Germany to attack. Though the way it is going to happen is a surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

Plus they can launch a coordinated attack with Italy (and if the italian staff had some irony, can call the operation 'Legnano'...as the city where the Lombard League defeated Emperor Barbarossa).

Plus they can launch a coordinated attack with Italy (and if the italian staff had some irony, can call the operation 'Legnano'...as the city where the Lombard League defeated Emperor Barbarossa).
The Italians have no idea about Operation Barbarossa for operational security reasons. No one out Germany or the Austro-Hungarians that are part of the operation should know about.

The Italians have no idea about Operation Barbarossa for operational security reasons. No one out Germany or the Austro-Hungarians that are part of the operation should know about.

Well i had expected that Germany brass had created operational plan for the invasion of A-H the moment their relations soured (and probably some existed even before) and at least trying to coordinate with the nation that hate A-H with the intensity of a thousands suns, and launching a two front attack will really make thing much easy...plus everybody knows that getting Italy on board for this will be pretty easy, even because italian bomber can hit south A-H much easier.
I understand that they are trying to achieve total strategic surprise and probably ending the entire affair in a swift move...still it's pretty risky as a move and have a certain feel of rushed thing

Any ideas as to what is going to happen?
Anywhere from a coup of the A-H Government to a civil war with me leaning towards it being a civil war even if that isn't the German intention. You thought the Balkans were a hot seat before WW1 the way A-H has gone you could just look at the structure the wrong way and the house will come crashing down.

Oh the fact that anybody in charge in Rome will jump at the occasion to settle the score with A-H is granted; it's just that i thought a more coordinated effort was on schedule
Honestly the Germans most likely want the French and Italians to tie up the enemy while not risking their army's. The French especially with the Spanish border are the key to the whole war in Europe IMO. If the Spanish can break out of the Pyrenees choke point and get into France proper then Germany is in danger. The French hold that line and Germany can focus everything eastward. Really though the Spanish-French border is one I would not want to live near right now as that place is soon going to be a bloodbath.

Oh the fact that anybody in charge in Rome will jump at the occasion to settle the score with A-H is granted; it's just that i thought a more coordinated effort was on schedule
No, there is coordinated plan between Berlin and Rome to invade A-H when the time called for such actions. But ITL the Germans have Operation Barbarossa up its shelve who the Italians have no clue about.

Honestly the Germans most likely want the French and Italians to tie up the enemy while not risking their army's. The French especially with the Spanish border are the key to the whole war in Europe IMO. If the Spanish can break out of the Pyrenees choke point and get into France proper then Germany is in danger. The French hold that line and Germany can focus everything eastward. Really though the Spanish-French border is one I would not want to live near right now as that place is soon going to be a bloodbath.

Well, on the bright side the Pyrenee are a natural defense line and the combined French and Italian navy are strong enough to keep even the Royal Navy on the defensive (for a time at least), still some kind of alert of his own allies will be necessary. If Berlin want keep Barbarossa secret, at least they can use the current crisis between A-H and Romania and the British attack at the US to strongly suggest at Paris and Rome to bring their armed forces in higher alert and start a partial mobilization if they have not already done it by their own.

Well, on the bright side the Pyrenee are a natural defense line and the combined French and Italian navy are strong enough to keep even the Royal Navy on the defensive (for a time at least), still some kind of alert of his own allies will be necessary. If Berlin want keep Barbarossa secret, at least they can use the current crisis between A-H and Romania and the British attack at the US to strongly suggest at Paris and Rome to bring their armed forces in higher alert and start a partial mobilization if they have not already done it by their own.
Both the French and Italians have been mobilizing their forces since Berlin decided it was war.

Operation Barbarossa Pt II
Outskirts of Linz
Common Army Command Post
January 29 1939, 0855 Local Time

A pair of EC XXXXIs[1] came in low for a landing. The lightweight reconnaissance and communication aircraft had been selected for use in Operation Barbarossa as they had outstanding short takeoff and landing performance. They had limited payload abilities but it was enough for what Barbarossa had in mind. Further they were small enough and looked enough like many civilian aircraft found in this part of the world that to the untrained eye these looked like any other civilian aircraft. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Even through both aircraft had a civilian paint job and markings at the moment both EC XXXXIs were in service with the Kaiserliche Luftwaffe.

The short runway had been cleared earlier in the day as the two EC XXXXIs came to a halt on it. The hatch on one fell down to revival a German Heer Generaloberst. The other hatch on the other aircraft fell down to show an Oberstleutnant of the Fallschirmjäger. Both officers of the Imperial German Army were members of the 5th German Army, the German Army assigned to defend the German Empire in this part of the world from the Austro-Hungarians. Both of the German officers were armed only with their P37 Service Pistols. If Operation Barbarossa worked as designed they wouldn’t be needed.

Both of the German pilots stayed with their aircraft as they had easy reach for their hidden MP-35 submachine guns. Further they needed to turn their aircraft around for take off once they were done here. The German officers who were hear to meet with Generaloberst Alexander von Dietfried were walking forward to speak with von Dietfried. The man they wished to speak to was standing front and center. Once they were close enough von Dietfried snapped off a perfect salute. The salute was returned by the two German officers who dropped it first before von Dietfried and the others dropped their salutes. Generaloberst Erwin von Reeb spoke, “Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in.” Quoting Joshua 6:1.

Generaloberst von Dietfried knew this was the challenge and answered by quoting Joshua 6:2. “And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the might men of valour.”

At that time both men knew this was the person they were to meet. Von Reeb spoke again, “Heer, General are you and your men ready?”

“Da, Heer General. We are ready.”

“Then raise your right hand and repeat after me.” Von Reeb said.

At that von Dietfried and his staff officers raised their right hand as they stood in a loose formation. With all the hands raised von Reeb started, “I, state your name.”

With that the Austro-Hungarian Common Army officers started to repeat what the German Army officer had said just replacing state your name with their name. Once done with that von Reeb when on, “swear to omniscient and omnipotent god.” Pausing again to allow these officers to catch up once more. “a physical oath, to his Imperial Royal Majesty William the Third, the Emperor of the German Empire my most gracious sovereign, that I will be resolute in all and every occurrence on land, in the air, and on the water and serve faithfully and honestly in both in war and peace. I will completely obey the military and service regulations and conduct myself in the performance of my duties, always as one who loves honors as a fear, qualified, as a proper soldier and officer. So, help me God through Jesus Christ and his sacred gospels.”[2] Von Reeb had to pause a number of times to allow the former Austro-Hungarian and now German officers to keep up with the oath.

As the last of the newly sworn in officers in the Imperial German Heer finished speaking von Reeb spoke again, “Welcome to the service of his Imperial Royal Majesty William and the German Army!” There were a few officers cheering as they were finally leaving the crippled Austro-Hungarian Empire for the lively German Empire.

Von Dietfried spoke next. “There will be time for that later. However, we still have much work to do. Oberstleutnant Kripps, you will go with Generaloberst von Reeb.”

At that von Reeb spoke again, “Oberstleutnant Schuster will be attached to your command. Good luck, General.”

“Good luck yourself general.” At that the two officers saluted each other again. The former Austro-Hungarian oberstleutnant was walking with his currently commanding officer to the pair of EC XXXXI that were waiting. They knew that the hard part of this still lay ahead of them.

[1] Fieseler Fi 156

[2] This is a slightly modified Imperial German Officer oath to Wilhelm II. The modifications were done by me to fit the butterflies, but I did not write the bulk of this.

It is normal that the general of the common army knows the bad situation that is the country. Ah yes as if you find groups that want a union with the German empire.

The Fate of the Kingdom Pt I
Sydney
Kirribilli House
January 30 1939, 0347 Local Time

At the moment Imperial Federation Prime Minister Donald Storm was asleep. But the civil servants who were assigned to Kirribilli House were auguring between the two of them who would have the misfortune of having to wake up their prime minister. With the news that had come in so far, they knew he would have to be awaken because this, this was unexpected and needed to be dealt with right away. The augment was finally settled when they pulled out a five shilling Crown coin and flipped it. It landed heads side up. The person who had called tails swore, “Damn it.”

Picking up the Crown since it was his, the civil servant walked into the out room that led to the bedroom that Prime Minister Storm. He then opened the door and walked into the bedroom flipping the light switch on. He then walked over to the bed that the prime minister and his wife were currently sleeping. Then he put his hand on the prime minister’s shoulder and shook the man as he spoke. “Sir something has happened that needs your immediate attention.”

It took a moment for Prime Minister Storm to wake up. His old eyes took a moment to focus, “What the bloody hell happened Thomas.” He said as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He knew that he was being woke up that something bad had happened. Given the state of affairs in the world when he had when to bed it wasn’t honestly that surprising.

“Sir the British have attacked the United States hours ago.”

That caused the prime minister to jump up out bed. “What the bloody fucking hell did Churchill do now?” When he had when to bed it was looking like Europe was about to start another round of blood letting because the Austro-Hungarians were simply idiots urged on by Churchill with the US looking like it was about to jump into the mess in South America. There were still those who were trying to come to grips with the American-German alliance that had only been announced a few days ago. But it was clear the world was going to war again.

“The reports we are getting is he ordered the carriers of the Royal Navy to attack up and down the American Eastern Seaboard. Further he ordered this attack without an official declaration of war?”

“He did what?!” Storm all but screamed. “Has that bloody fool Churchill learned anything?” Storm knew all too well how pissed off the Yankees got during the lead up in the Great War. The British had tried to play in American domestic politics and got caught, the Americans were madder than a hatter after that one. Yet this? This was going to a different level and he could feel that in his bones.

At this point his wife was stirring, “Honey, what’s going on?”

Donald turned to his wife and kissed her on the forehead. “Go back to sleep baby. I got to go to work.” At that he got out of his bed and put on his robe and started to walk to his office. He shut the light off as he exited the bedroom.

A few moments later he was in his office and was reading the report that was coming from the Imperial Federation’s embassy in Washington. The foreign service of the Imperial Federation was still small and they only had four embassies worldwide at the moment, and they were in London, Washington DC, Berlin, and Tokyo. Plans had been underway to build embassies in Paris, Rome, and Moscow in the next few years and expand the foreign service but it was looking like those plans were not going to come to anything now.

Once he had finished reading the report that had been sent in from the Embassy in Washington Donald just took a moment to take it all end. The British had send a declaration of war to the Americans just as the second wave of this attack was starting. As he was thinking one of his aids came in, “Sir the British Embassy just called. They want to send Ambassador Sir Julian Roberts to see you as soon as possible.”

“No doubt to ask us to meet our treaty obligations.” Donald said out loud. “Tell him the earliest I can possible see him is at one this afternoon. After you get done with the British ring the American and German Embassy, I wish to meet with their ambassadors as soon as possible. I much like to see them before I see the British Ambassador.”

“Yes Sir.”

At that Donald when back to his bedroom to get a suit and a shower. It was going to be a bloody long day and he needed to be looking fresh for what was coming.