I never said I wanted the British to continue to control India, I'm just spelling out how best Churchill could do it for academic discussion.
There are plenty of reasons why Britain and the British government would want to go about this path that don't involve racism. To suggest it's the only reason is disingenuous and wrong.

Well their main impetus is their desire to maintain the incredibly racist structure that is the empire in the first place. So even if Churchill isn't motivated by his immense hatred of non whites, he is in fact still motivated by structural racism.

All of this talk of redrawing the borders of India, apparently willy nilly, imagines that the British have any right to do so. Even partition, ethically dubious as that was, involved working with Indian and what would be Pakistani figures. This would be unilateral dismemberment of a country to suit Britain's ends.

Off topic but all this talk of India makes me wonder if there were any British loyalists in India.
Depends what you mean. There are substantial numbers of Indians who want independence but not with the Communists in charge. So they are willing to back the British now.

Total Control
Grand Marshal Mikhail Tukhachevsky glanced across the conference room, at his assembled Military Council. They did not look directly at him; the window faced to the west, and the sun was setting this afternoon.

"I'm reviewing these reports of the reduction of occupying troops in Europe, Comrade Eideman," Tukhachevsky stated, "But while your summary is that the reduction is proceeding on schedule, these numbers do not match our projections nor do they seem to be converging to do so."

"Our better than expected transitions to native communist control in Italy and Germany have not yet manifested in terms of actual troop numbers," Komandarm Robert Eideman replied, "But our strategists predict that soon we will be able to reduce the troop presence needed to maintain the revolution in those countries faster than expected, which will compensate for the slower transition across the rest of Europe, leading to the overall numbers matching the schedule."

"We will need those soldiers soon," Army Commander Vitovt Putna declared. "We cannot secure Mongolia or East Turkestan otherwise."

"To clarify, the earlier reports that those were our maximum possible liberation of Chinese territory are correct?" Commander Boris Feldman asked.

Putna nodded. "Yes, Chiang and the KMT have consolidated their control over the core Chinese territories, as well as Tibet. I doubt we'll be able to secure Inner Mongolia or Manchuria, but Mongolia and East Turkestan are within reach. I've mailed out the reports to all of you."

After some additional discussion regarding the situation in East Asia, Tukhachevsky diverted the discussion. "Comrades, we are nearing the end of the meeting. Comrade Yakir, the report on foreign intelligence?"

Iona Yakir nodded. "Our organization in India is reporting enormous success. The flow of arms into the country is nearly uninterrupted, and the distribution of propaganda is truly at the maximum level possible in a country as undeveloped as India. The people there are truly in a revolutionary spirit; the British will soon be distracted in South Asia, and unable to move effectively against us elsewhere."

Good," Tukhachevsky replied. "Our efforts to court Turkey are paying off, and our influence in Iran continues to grow. I believe the northern third of the country is now in our sphere?"

"Yes, Comrade," Yakir replied. "We've reached a level of control in Iran that we think that we could overthrow the despotic Pahlavi regime without nationwide resistance."

"Then why haven't we done so already?" Commander Ieronim Uberovich asked. "Why not restrict the British oil supply now?"

"The dictator Reza Shah is extremely sick," Yakir explained. "It's doubtful he will live another year. When he dies, the coup will proceed during the transition, when it will be most effective."

"And the Arabs?" asked Tukhachevsky. "Have our efforts continued to fail?"

Yakir nodded sadly. "We've made great progress in Iran, in Turkey, among the left-wing Zionist Jews, but both the Arab aristocracy and their middle class remain set against us. I'm afraid that our efforts among the other groups will lead to a nationalistic anti-communist response from the Arab populace."

"We will see," Tukhachevsky said. "Before we leave, I would like to inform you that unfortunately the information provided by the man who tried to assassinate me last week has been deemed unreliable, and we are unsure whether he is part of a wider conspiracy or not."

"Is there no way to get more information from him?" Feldman asked.

Tukhachevsky shook his head. "Unfortunately, he died during questioning."

"Our security is comprehensive," Commander Gamarnik declared. "I think we'll be able to minimize the risk of any further assassination attempts."

"On an upbeat closing note," Tukhachevsky concluded, "Comrade Kirov, an update on the Palace of the Soviets?"

Sergei Kirov, the only civilian at the meeting, looked down at one of his papers. "The Palace of the Soviets will be opened by the end of the year. We are finished with the exterior, as I am sure everyone here can see, and the interior of the Palace is well underway. Soon, we will have built a spectacular monument to the Revolution."

"Spectacular indeed!" Tukhachevsky declared, as the generals all began taking their leave and exiting the room. However, as Uberovich did so, Tukhachevsky called out, "Comrade Uberovich, please wait." Uberovich did so, until the commanders and Kirov exited the room.

"All of the lower classified military research projects are moving at an excellent pace," the Grand Marshal said. Uberovich couldn't look at him; Tukhachevsky was standing in front of the window, the red setting sun behind him. He was just a dark silhouette in the red light. "But as for our project of the highest classification..."

Uberovich smiled, "We've made tremendous progress. Eighteen months, at most. I think it will be completed within thirteen. Ready to be tested." He thought Tukhacehvsky was smiling as well, but could not see his face.

"Our reports," the Grand Marshal stated, "Indicate that the Franco-British project is at least six months behind, with the underfunded American project at least two years behind. The Revolution will soon be completely safe."

"Unable to be challenged," Tukhachevsky replied. "Good, very good. Continue the good work."

"You as well, Marshal," Uberovich replied, as he turned to leave the room. Standing in front of the window, Tukhachevsky's shadow covered the whole room in a dim reddish gray.

Well damn. The Soviet menace is more potent than I feared.
Better economic plan than Stalin
No famine
No Great Purge of the best generals
Never suffered a massive devastating invasion
Much lower casualties from the Great War than OTL WWII
A bigger European Sphere to exploit

Add it all together and you get a much wealthier USSR than OTL

Last edited:
Better economic plan than Stalin
No famine
No Great Purge of the best generals
Never suffered a massive devastating invasion
Much lower casualties from the Great War than OTL WWII
A bigger European Sphere to exploit

Add it all together and you get a much wealthier USSR than OTL
And an isolationist GOP and somewhat complicit PFL in the US...

I thought the "Revolution" in the title would be about domestic US political developments, but it's probably about the Soviets. Or maybe both. Probably both. Definitely both.