Illustration Tutorials and Advice Superthread

Here's a HORRIBLE tutorial that I made for Arminius since he didn't understand how to colour in regions. Made within 10 minutes but I think it conveys the concept.

Nice tutorial! But, how do you color in separate countries on a map without using that horrible fill tool? I've tried to figure out how to make separate countries their own shapes, but with ones on the coastline, this is... hard. The one way I've been able to think to do it is to draw your border as normal and then do the same thing you do to make the land's fill in your tutorial except without the clip. Then, make a new layer and color over the part of the shape that is in the water with the draw tool.

I know there's a better way to do it, any suggestions?

Krall

Banned
Nice tutorial! But, how do you color in separate countries on a map without using that horrible fill tool? I've tried to figure out how to make separate countries their own shapes, but with ones on the coastline, this is... hard. The one way I've been able to think to do it is to draw your border as normal and then do the same thing you do to make the land's fill in your tutorial except without the clip. Then, make a new layer and color over the part of the shape that is in the water with the draw tool.

I know there's a better way to do it, any suggestions?

I'm a bit tired, so it's difficult for me to figure out the exact thing you're trying to do and exactly what to do to achieve it, but I think the tools you are missing are the "paste in place" command (under the Edit menu, or Ctrl + Alt + V) and boolean functions, specifically Difference and Intersection, under the Path menu. I'm pretty sure I've explained this to people before so I should have some images I made to demonstrate it to them, let me check.

Okay these'll work.

DAarfaf.png

Okay, you got your sea and you got your land shape. You want to make a country shape with its boundaries being said country's land borders and coastline. What do? Well, draw the country's land borders and then connect them up around the coast, so that the overlap between the country shape and the land shape is the exact shape of the country, like this:

oyoQGZI.png

What you do now is copy the land shape and press Ctrl + Alt + V to paste it in the exact same position as the original. Now select that land-shape-copy and your country shape, then go to the Path menu and select "Intersection". This will remove the two shapes and give you a shape of the overlap between them, like this:

zAx8GFA.png

Ta-da! A country shape whose boundaries are said country's land borders and coastline. One issue you might have now is that the country-shape is on top of the land-shape, so the country's borders will show up over the coastline, like how the red line is showing up over the black coastline in that image. In order to solve that I copy the land-shape, paste it in place on top of everything, and then remove the fill, so you have a shape that's just the coastline on top of everything else.

But yeah, hopefully that helps. The paste in place function and the boolean functions are really useful and versatile - I use them a loooot when making anything in Inkscape - so I'd advise you to play around with them a bit to see how they work and what they do. And if you need any further help, just ask. :)

But yeah, hopefully that helps. The paste in place function and the boolean functions are really useful and versatile - I use them a loooot when making anything in Inkscape - so I'd advise you to play around with them a bit to see how they work and what they do. And if you need any further help, just ask. :)
Thank you so much! Really helpful! What I had (rather embarrassingly) been doing was the same thing, except instead of all the intersection and cutting and copying I was literally drawing over the part of the country in the ocean. This works much better. :biggrin:

Krall

Banned
Thank you so much! Really helpful! What I had (rather embarrassingly) been doing was the same thing, except instead of all the intersection and cutting and copying I was literally drawing over the part of the country in the ocean. This works much better. :biggrin:
No problem! I remember when I was starting out with Inkscape there were a bunch of inefficient methods like that I used to achieve effects that I can do now with speed and ease. :p

I'm a bit tired, so it's difficult for me to figure out the exact thing you're trying to do and exactly what to do to achieve it, but I think the tools you are missing are the "paste in place" command (under the Edit menu, or Ctrl + Alt + V) and boolean functions, specifically Difference and Intersection, under the Path menu. I'm pretty sure I've explained this to people before so I should have some images I made to demonstrate it to them, let me check.

Okay these'll work.

DAarfaf.png

Okay, you got your sea and you got your land shape. You want to make a country shape with its boundaries being said country's land borders and coastline. What do? Well, draw the country's land borders and then connect them up around the coast, so that the overlap between the country shape and the land shape is the exact shape of the country, like this:

oyoQGZI.png

What you do now is copy the land shape and press Ctrl + Alt + V to paste it in the exact same position as the original. Now select that land-shape-copy and your country shape, then go to the Path menu and select "Intersection". This will remove the two shapes and give you a shape of the overlap between them, like this:

zAx8GFA.png

Ta-da! A country shape whose boundaries are said country's land borders and coastline. One issue you might have now is that the country-shape is on top of the land-shape, so the country's borders will show up over the coastline, like how the red line is showing up over the black coastline in that image. In order to solve that I copy the land-shape, paste it in place on top of everything, and then remove the fill, so you have a shape that's just the coastline on top of everything else.

You've actually taught me a much better method here... I was cutting the coast and pasting it in then merging the border of the nation with the coastal path to make a single object

Okay these'll work.

DAarfaf.png

oyoQGZI.png

zAx8GFA.png

Hey, I've been trying to use this method, but there are a few problems.

First of all, I have a coastline, a coastline with land fill, my sea, and my nation borders all in different layers, so I don't know if that interferes. But the issue I'm getting is that I'll duplicate the coastline and then select both the coastline and the nation borders and, most of the time, nothing will happen when I select Intersection, or almost any of the Boolean functions for that matter. And when something does happen, it's never the neat little nation borders I wanted. A bit frustrating. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Krall

Banned
Hey, I've been trying to use this method, but there are a few problems.

First of all, I have a coastline, a coastline with land fill, my sea, and my nation borders all in different layers, so I don't know if that interferes. But the issue I'm getting is that I'll duplicate the coastline and then select both the coastline and the nation borders and, most of the time, nothing will happen when I select Intersection, or almost any of the Boolean functions for that matter. And when something does happen, it's never the neat little nation borders I wanted. A bit frustrating. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

I never use layers myself, so I'm guessing that's interfering with it. Also note that both the nation borders and coastline should be closed shapes with no gaps, and that you can only do most Boolean Functions with 2 shapes - so if you're selecting multiple nations' borders as well as the coastline, that won't work.

I never use layers myself, so I'm guessing that's interfering with it. Also note that both the nation borders and coastline should be closed shapes with no gaps, and that you can only do most Boolean Functions with 2 shapes - so if you're selecting multiple nations' borders as well as the coastline, that won't work.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it like that then! I'm doing everything else right, so it must be the layers.

Krall

Banned
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it like that then! I'm doing everything else right, so it must be the layers.
I've just checked this out and looks like all the functions work perfect with the paths being placed in different layers, so I doubt it interferes.

I just tried it quickly myself and it does seem like it works fine with the two shapes on different layers. So, uh, I have no idea what's going wrong.

Any chance you could upload the SVG you're working on, CtrlAltHistory?

I just tried it quickly myself and it does seem like it works fine with the two shapes on different layers. So, uh, I have no idea what's going wrong.

Any chance you could upload the SVG you're working on, CtrlAltHistory?

No clue how to upload an SVG. They don't show up when using the Upload a File button, and they don't have a URL, so....

Thanks! Here is is, @Krall : http://svgshare.com/i/2XU.svg That's a direct link, I don't know if you can download it from there.
'One of the objects is not a path, cannot perform boolean operation'. Try ungrouping objects that your landmass consist of and then combine them into one path by pressing Ctrl+K or the Combine button in the Path submenu. This worked for me.

UPD. And don't forget to put the paths in the right order—the path that is being modified must go under the second one. So you can simply select the landmass, press Ctrl+C for copying it, then select the object that is supposed to become a nation, press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the copy landmass into the same layer with it (now it is under the copy of landmass), then select the nation one more time and finally press Ctrl+Shift+8 to intersect your paths.

Last edited:
'One of the objects is not a path, cannot perform boolean operation'. Try ungrouping objects that your landmass consist of and then combine them into one path by pressing Ctrl+K or the Combine button in the Path submenu. This worked for me.

UPD. And don't forget to put the paths in the right order—the path that is being modified must go under the second one. So you can simply select the landmass, press Ctrl+C for copying it, then select the object that is supposed to become a nation, press Ctrl+Shift+V to paste the copy landmass into the same layer with it (now it is under the copy of landmass), then select the nation one more time and finally press Ctrl+Shift+8 to intersect your paths.
Thanks so much! You've been a big help. :)

Krall

Banned
Sorry,any general advice on Paint.NET?Esp. coloring state borders.

I'm afraid I mostly use Paint.NET for adding some effects that aren't possible or easy in Inkscape, so I don't have any general advice for using it. If you have a specific problem or effect you're trying to achieve though I can try and figure it out for you, if you like. :)