The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

Well clearly, when that K7 style worlda map was created, it garnered essentially zero interest. Otherwise, someone would have used it as a basis to update at least one other map. So whatever else was preventing worlda inaccuracies being fixed, it wasn't the lack of an accurate basemap.

It's all very well having a large corpus of existing maps. But if it is a large corpus of existing inaccurate maps, it's not actually all that useful, since the fixup work would require at least as much effort as simply redrawing. But seeing as how that fixup work hasn't happened yet in the years since that fixed basemap was released, odds are good it won't ever happen.

And yes, there's lots of basemap projects going on. But since they are mostly expansions of qbam/mbam, they inherit all the existing inaccuracies of those two. For me, those maps are nice drawings, but not especially accurate.

fwiw, naysayers similar to you already had the effect of killing that nascent project last year. No need to continue the naysaying ;)

Well clearly, when that K7 style worlda map was created, it garnered essentially zero interest. Otherwise, someone would have used it as a basis to update at least one other map. So whatever else was preventing worlda inaccuracies being fixed, it wasn't the lack of an accurate basemap.

It's all very well having a large corpus of existing maps. But if it is a large corpus of existing inaccurate maps, it's not actually all that useful, since the fixup work would require at least as much effort as simply redrawing. But seeing as how that fixup work hasn't happened yet in the years since that fixed basemap was released, odds are good it won't ever happen.

And yes, there's lots of basemap projects going on. But since they are mostly expansions of qbam/mbam, they inherit all the existing inaccuracies of those two. For me, those maps are nice drawings, but not especially accurate.

fwiw, naysayers similar to you already had the effect of killing that nascent project last year. No need to continue the naysaying ;)

Well, what you actually did was just start releasing the map at an absolutely humongous scale. I can't actually find anywhere where you released a worlda (or even 'slightly larger than worlda') scale map to any stage of completion, and that's the scale I'm talking about- for most people that's just too much space to try to fill and it intimidates them into not starting. Unless you're talking about this one, in which case the fact it's on a rectangle form and Antarctica being like that makes it seem like a step backwards.

Really, a lot of it's psychology. Mentally speaking, the concept of 'I've improved the coastlines/projection of this map, we've already got lots of maps using it, but we'll just have to update them' as a suggestion comes across as much less daunting than 'your projection is wrong, this one is right, we need to redo everything to this,' even if the amount of work involved is identical. If you're going to try and use the second approach, the best thing to do is to actually kick things off yourself with some historic maps.

But that's the thing, you can make things easier for yourself in a number of ways. You start with the smallest scale in the set you want to do which is immediately less daunting rather than the largest which makes the project intimidating. You start at the present and work backwards, and you produce a lot of recent year maps, each of which needs only minor alterations but suddenly means you're starting off with what psychologically feels like a significant corpus of work has already been done, because you've got 27 different historic maps, that's a good start (and having January 1st of every year since 1990 does give you the borders for a lot of the Cold War with Yugoslavia, the USSR etc.)

At the time, I did release a 1250px version. No one cared (I guess because that's when mbam fever first took hold). It's since gone into the ether I think.

So after three days I managed to do a patch for Antarctica, including mainland Ice Caps, some coastline fixes, extra islands and fixed ocean ice caps to their current extension.

Ant.png

So after three days I managed to do a patch for Antarctica, including mainland Ice Caps, some coastline fixes, extra islands and fixed ocean ice caps to their current extension.

ant-png.334128

Very nice, but it still has problems, namely the fact that the edges still don't match on either side of the map, eg;
upload_2017-5-24_1-13-3-png.324198

(uses the old map I know, but it illustrates my point)

Apart form that though, its still a good map (and saves me work on my ice sheet patches, so thanks for that).

Also, I'd use the unclaimed land green for the non glaciated bits.

Very nice, but it still has problems, namely the fact that the edges still don't match on either side of the map, eg;
upload_2017-5-24_1-13-3-png.324198

(uses the old map I know, but it illustrates my point)

Apart form that though, its still a good map (and saves me work on my ice sheet patches, so thanks for that).

Also, I'd use the unclaimed land green for the non glaciated bits.

Yeah, I noticed the fail in Antarctica, could you patch it for me if you don't have lots of work to do?

Anyhow, about the Green part, there are claims in Antarctica, which is pretty confusing given the term "Unclaimed". Anyhow I'll paint it green rn.

Anyhow, about the Green part, there are claims in Antarctica, which is pretty confusing given the term "Unclaimed". Anyhow I'll paint it green rn.
I tought Green represented areas without state (would it be early state on a chiefdom/formation/nation model)?

My understanding is that green is the default "no organised government beyond individual communities" colour. Antarctica's (and sometimes greenland's) white isn't so much a commentary on ownership as an artistic convention.

Yeah, I noticed the fail in Antarctica, could you patch it for me if you don't have lots of work to do?

I would, If I didn't have other stuff to do (hence the really late reply).

I always thought that the green was unadministered, not unclaimed, ie, a country could claim a load of desert/tundra/jungle ect but couldn't actually control it, as well as just showing the lack of any states in the area.

We already fixed Antartica in the M-BAM, so you can take a look from the latest release, and, maybe downscale

As a bit of a progress update, Chinese rivers are redrawn for every province except Yunnan, Tibet, Qinhai and Xinjiang.

Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years!
Best of luck with Yunnan, Tibet, Qinghai and Xinjiang.
Some of their areas hopefully won’t be too hard. Particularly if you decide not to show endorheic lakes, makes doing Xinjiang a whole lot easier. ;)
I don’t know if you like to work to music, but if you do hopefully this could be something. Anyways, this auspicious occasion calls for some good music :p
Spring on the Moonlit River 春江花月夜

Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years!
Best of luck with Yunnan, Tibet, Qinghai and Xinjiang.
Some of their areas hopefully won’t be too hard. Particularly if you decide not to show endorheic lakes, makes doing Xinjiang a whole lot easier. ;)
I don’t know if you like to work to music, but if you do hopefully this could be something. Anyways, this auspicious occasion calls for some good music :p
Spring on the Moonlit River 春江花月夜

I'm not adding any more lakes just for the moment.

I'm not adding any more lakes just for the moment.
That said, I'm working on historical coastlines of China, which are very annoying to have carthographical (usable at least) sources on, but easier to drawn than in Europe (The Dreaded Frisian Coast ™)
Which of course brings the topic of changing Chinese riverbeds.

That said, I'm working on historical coastlines of China, which are very annoying to have carthographical (usable at least) sources on, but easier to drawn than in Europe (The Dreaded Frisian Coast ™)
Which of course brings the topic of changing Chinese riverbeds.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Just Xinjiang to do now.