Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Capricornia's coast's are done, also here's an equirectangular version of my map that can be used on a map-to-globe program. Expect the last of the elevation in a month or so(maybe sooner).
phys_newtellurus.png

telluruseq3.png

In G.Projector you can also use an 'Equirectangular Oblique' projection and change the center longitude/latitude so the polar regions move to the equator for modification without distortion. You can then save the map and reverse the parameters after you have finished fine-tuning.

In G.Projector you can also use an 'Equirectangular Oblique' projection and change the center longitude/latitude so the polar regions move to the equator for modification without distortion. You can then save the map and reverse the parameters after you have finished fine-tuning.
That will work prefect, thanks for pointing that out.

Is that the Pangaea stage in the first of the two maps you just posted? That's amazing, this has to be one of the most geologically thorough worldbuilding projects I've seen thus far on AH.com.

Tellurus 420 mya & 600 mya
Is that the Pangaea stage in the first of the two maps you just posted? That's amazing, this has to be one of the most geologically thorough worldbuilding projects I've seen thus far on AH.com.

Yes it is. Thanks for the compliments, I really like paleogeography so worldbuilding is a fun exercise.
Here's another one i made, set before the last Pangea stage in this worlds' equivalent of the Paleozoic era. The color coding is the same as the last map so it should keep it obvious what is what.

tellurus pre pangea.png

Here's the "Pannotia" stage as well for gits and shiggles. EDIT: Remade to be like previous maps.

rodinia3.png

Last edited:
Pannotia formation 600mya
Progress on the Rodinia map, i've laid out the fragments from it that combined into Eurusia (My worlds "Gondwana"). Now I just have to move them around and rebuild Rodinia. The colors are unrelated to the other maps, mostly.
rodinia cratons.png

Paleogeographic history
Could i get some feedback i made on this writeup about Tellurus and its tectonic history?

~1.1 billion years ago to 750 million years ago: The Tellurus equivalent of Rodinia forms. Unknown cratonic fragments combined to form it. The majority of the worlds cratons are assembled surrounding the continent of Talamor. Central Ozara and Southern Rhodin are chains of islands and cratons moving toward the supercontinent as it moves toward the south pole. Several Snowball Tellurus events occur during this time.

750 mya - 600 mya: The Rodinian continent rifts along eastern margin of Talamor, and the fragments slowly collide with one another and the cratons sutured to southern Archeomedia (Equatoria, Serica and western Capricornia), forming the supercontinent of Pannotia and also the future lands of Rhodin and Ozara. This process doesn't fully complete until 520 mya but by then the supercontinent has fragmented, leaving behind the core of Protoeurusia.

600 mya - 420 mya: Archeomedia and Archeoborea (Talamor, Sibirica and Central Hatar) rifts from Protoeurusia (Avarda, Ozara, Rhodin and eastern Capricornia), but then also rift from each other. Archeomedia then breaks up into its constituent fragments; one of which, Central Hatar, collides with Northern Hatar: which rifted from the margin of Aquilonia and Ozara at an unknown time. Hatar, Sibirica and Talamor stay near eachother for the time, eventually reforming into Protoborea.

420 mya to 300 mya: Subduction trenches pull Protoborea, Protoeurusia and Archeomedia back towards eachother in a different configuration, eventually creating Pangea. Archeomedia and Protoeurusia collide first, forming the Trancapricornian Mountains. The continents move away from the south pole and towards the equator as they converge. The south pole passes from being in Rhodin to Ozara at this time.

300 mya - 200 mya: Pangea fully forms as Protoborea collides into northern Archeomedia. About halfway through the era, the largest mass extinction in the planets history takes place. The supercontinent begins to rift towards the end of this time as microcontinents rift from northern former Archeomedia (Capricornia/Avarda) and move towards Serratar (Serica, Sibirica and Hatar), And Talamor begins to break away.

200 mya - 175 mya: Pangea fully breaks apart as Equatoria and Serratar join Talamor in breaking off, forming the continent of Borea. The rest of the worlds combined landmasses , Notia, soon breaks up into Eurusia (Rhodin and Ozara) and Greater Capricornia (including Avarda). Malag at first rifts from Ozara, then rifts from Capricornia instead to drift with Ozara.

175 mya - 125 mya: Borea and Eurusia slowly break apart at this time. Southern Serica rifts from Capricornia and collides into Serratar. New Talamor rifts from Eurusia (Rhozaraland), and Avarda starts rifting as well. The tectonic plate carrying Talamor changes direction and new rifts form in between it and Equatoria and Natecuya. Also, Aquilonia begins colliding with Talamor towards the end of the period.

125 mya - 65 mya: Avarda moves towatds Serratar along with Rhodin, having recently rifted from Ozara finally during this time. New Talamor and Talamor finally collide, creating large inland seas. Capricornia becomes isolated during this time, along with Ozara and Equatoria. Talamor remains connected to Serratar through Aquilonia, and to Equatoria through Natecuya. This time period ends with another mass extinction, wiping out the dinosaurs and most other species almost everywhere.

65 mya - 5 mya: Avarda finally collides with Serratar and Rhodin follows not long after, creating the Mediterranean Sea. Talamor finally completely separates from Equatoria, but then begins collding with Ozara. This leads to a large population exchange. Ozara begins showing the opening stages of rifting apart with a large rift valley forming on the continent. Humanity's ancestors will soon roam this rift valley. At the very end of this time period, Tapron finally breaks off Avarda and moves towards, Capricornia, disrupting the world climate and causing another population exchange.

5 mya - 7,000 years ago: The Mediterranean Sea completely dries up when it is temporarily blocked off from the ocean by Rhodin's northeastward motion. The worlds landmasses are pretty much similar to modern times at this point. The north pole, blocked by Talamor and Serratar, experiences glaciations, which cause the worlds sea level to drop. Humankind evolves during this time, along with the invention of fire and the use of stone tools. They take advantage of the lower sea level to spread across the world. Anatomically modern humans appear at 300 kya, and by 40 kya most other species and subspecies of human are exctinct or endangered.

7 kya - Now: The last proglacial phase of the ice age ends and sea levels rise once more. Humanity, isolated and diverse, discovers farming, bronze working and eventually writing. The year is [5546 B.C.], and civilization has begun in at least one part of Tellurus.

Sorry for any spelling errors, i wrote this on my phone.

Last edited:
The descriptions are impressively in-depth and the maps are cool, but it's hard to picture everything happening in my head cause I don't know the continents well. I don't know how far you want to go with this but if you were to do an animation of the moving continents in action that would be really cool. Might be a hard and time consuming activity though.

The descriptions are impressively in-depth and the maps are cool, but it's hard to picture everything happening in my head cause I don't know the continents well. I don't know how far you want to go with this but if you were to do an animation of the moving continents in action that would be really cool. Might be a hard and time consuming activity though.
Animations are beyond me but i might make an image with multiple maps in between th ones ive made along with arrows to show where the continents are moving. This is also why i didnt want to go further back than rodinia as i havent even really talked about the continents in modern times. I think a good start would be going in-depth about every labeled area on the pangea/modern map, what do tou think?

Animations are beyond me but i might make an image with multiple maps in between th ones ive made along with arrows to show where the continents are moving. This is also why i didnt want to go further back than rodinia as i havent even really talked about the continents in modern times. I think a good start would be going in-depth about every labeled area on the pangea/modern map, what do tou think?

It's up to you. Personally I think we might have to set up a map game for Tellurus. I was thinking of setting up a Civilization-style map game that starts in 4000 BC and focuses on cities as well as territories similar to how Sid Meier's game works. I was going to test out the concept on a World-a but if Tellurus is all figured out by the time I've sorted the game concept we could use your world instead if you like.

I tracked as much as I can visually, but plate tectonics aren't my specialty, so sometimes things aren't intuitive. I think arrows would be helpful as well. Any extra information you provide is great, but the arrows help me most. On my own project, my plate tectonics only go as far as to say which direction things are going/coming from, so I must say your attention to detail blows me out of the water. I think I agree that nothing quite this well done has been on AH.com before.