Map of the Fortnight: Main Discussion Thread

Hey, decided to throw my hat in the ring. I don't expect to win, but I thought it'd be fun. I found a map of the Netherlands and decided to make a map with the PoD that Nazi Germany somehow makes Belgium its puppet state shortly before WWII breaks out (possibly by influencing elections in favor of the Rexists or somehow pulling some kind of Anschluss Lite).

Hey, decided to throw my hat in the ring. I don't expect to win, but I thought it'd be fun. I found a map of the Netherlands and decided to make a map with the PoD that Nazi Germany somehow makes Belgium its puppet state shortly before WWII breaks out (possibly by influencing elections in favor of the Rexists or somehow pulling some kind of Anschluss Lite).
I think you need to remove the Flevopolder, it was only drained in 1955-68.

Can you point out where that is on the map for me? This was very spur of the moment, honestly, and I know little about actual Netherlands geography.
I fixed the IJsselmeer - but the Delta Works are still there, could you help remove those?

[By the way, it might more accurate if you trace over this map. Or this one.]

unknown.png

Last edited:
"There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed."

Does this mean totally fictional worlds are acceptable? Or that fantasy/sci-fi must be based on Earth?

Krall

Banned
"There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed."

Does this mean totally fictional worlds are acceptable? Or that fantasy/sci-fi must be based on Earth?

People have submitted maps of totally fictional worlds before - Game of Thrones, Tamriel, even worlds of their own design - so I believe the former interpretation is the intended one.

I'd like to say thanks to all of you whom liked my map, as it shows that (to me,) that I have a foot over everyone else (no offense to Isaac, who has a much better map than me, despite me not seeing any puppets) in this race for the best map. I don't understand the puppets of any others, but I pledge my vote to Isaac's map, for it has the highest quality of any other map.

Krall

Banned
Challenge suggestion for the next round:

I Ain't the Sharpest Tool in the Shed

Make a map showing a country that is significantly behind the times in terms of technology and science.

Deleted member 97083

She Was Looking: Map of an espionage system

Kinda Dumb: Map of a failed state

With Her Finger And Her Thumb: Map of two exclaves of a country highly connected to the metropole

In the Shape Of an L on her Forehead: Map of a diplomatic crisis such as the Fashoda incident

Well, the Years Start Coming: Map of an 800+ year old state or empire

And they Don't Stop Coming: Map of an invasion or defense by an army with seemingly endless numbers of recruits

Fed to the Rules: Map of a takeover by a highly regimented totalitarian regime

And I Hit the Ground Running: Map of a state that becomes a large empire within 20 years of its creation

Doesn't Make Sense Not to Live For Fun: Map of an entertainment industry

Your Brain gets Smart: Map of a scientific revolution

But Your Head Gets Dumb: Map of a decaying bureaucracy

Krall

Banned
So Much to Do, So Much to See: Make a map of a popular holiday destination or tourist hotspot.
So What's Wrong with Taking the Back Streets: Make a map of a dense, crime-ridden urban area.
You'll Never Know if You Don't Go: Make a map showing one or several voyages of exploration.
You'll Never Shine if You Don't Glow: Make a map showing a country that has recovered after being on the receiving end of a nuclear strike.
Hey Now, You're an All-Star, Get Your Game On, Go Play: Make a map showing a sports league, tournament, or similar sporting contest.
Hey Now, You're a Rock Star, Get The Show On, Get Paid: Make a map showing a concert tour by a particular band or performer.
All That Glitters is Gold: Make a map showing gold rush, or similar mass immigration to a region of prosperity.
Only Shooting Stars Break the Mold: Make a map showing the aftermath of a catastrophic asteroid impact that changes the world as we know it.

I used to agonise over finding good quotes and inspiration for MotF challenges. Who knew that Smash Mouth was such a gold mine? :p

Deleted member 97083

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder: Make a map showing the effects of an ice age

You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get older: Make a map of an old empire that loses its buffer states

But the meteor men beg to differ: Make a map of a hurricane or other weather event

Judging by the hole in the satellite picture: Make a map of an ecological disaster visible from space

The ice we skate is getting pretty thin: Make a map of an Antarctic colony after the continent's glaciers melt, or an Arctic colony

The water's getting warm so you might as well swim: Make a map of a country adapting to sea level rise and global warming

My world's on fire, how about yours?: Make a map of a country that attacks another country by surprise, bringing it into a global conflict.

That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored: Make a map of a reactionary empire that hasn't reformed for centuries