Beedok's Maps Thread

Fewer people and a chaotic first decade or two... not a good combo.

Better than Q or W though.
I'm sure this has been asked beafore but will the entire claimed territory of Western Sahara be ISOT to Planet W or just the area not occupied by Morroco?

Well what area went to planet M? Whatever didn't go to M should come along with W.
I am pretty sure it was only Morocco's core areas, but I'm going to have to double check... Okay, consulting the map, it seems the Morocco controlled regions were in M, so it's only 'free' Western Sahara in W.

I am pretty sure it was only Morocco's core areas, but I'm going to have to double check... Okay, consulting the map, it seems the Morocco controlled regions were in M, so it's only 'free' Western Sahara in W.

I'm not sure how much long after the ISOT you typically do these maps, but I'm not sure I can imagine any kind of polity surviving. Without the coast there's basically no boats, so they can't take advantage of the fish stocks which would be the only way to feed the majority of the population. The entire economy including almost all non-fish food supply is dependent on the Moroccan government. There's very few roads present there and there won't be any outside their borders, so there's no possibility of a large convoy somehow getting to a climate suitable for agriculture.

I can't see anyone but a small nomadic population surviving.

Also, inspired by this I'm making a list of every single subnational division alphabetically (going round the world starting with the Americas) in the hope of maybe finding one that will make an interesting map.

My current thinking is Q, because it might make Quebec a world power, or I, because that gives the US three contiguous states (Indiana, Illinois and Iowa).

I'm not sure how much long after the ISOT you typically do these maps, but I'm not sure I can imagine any kind of polity surviving. Without the coast there's basically no boats, so they can't take advantage of the fish stocks which would be the only way to feed the majority of the population. The entire economy including almost all non-fish food supply is dependent on the Moroccan government. There's very few roads present there and there won't be any outside their borders, so there's no possibility of a large convoy somehow getting to a climate suitable for agriculture.

I can't see anyone but a small nomadic population surviving.
Who said there'd be any states?

Also, inspired by this I'm making a list of every single subnational division alphabetically (going round the world starting with the Americas) in the hope of maybe finding one that will make an interesting map.

My current thinking is Q, because it might make Quebec a world power, or I, because that gives the US three contiguous states (Indiana, Illinois and Iowa).
Close to 200 countries, some with dozens of subnational divisions?

Good luck.

Where is Map World M? Because I can't find it anywhere. Did you forget about it or something?

Where is Map World M? Because I can't find it anywhere. Did you forget about it or something?
Maybe I forgot to put it on here...

mplanet.png

Who said there'd be any states?

Well, it's going to be a pretty boring map then. Unless you mark individual settlements and give a little summary of each one, which would be pretty cool actually.

Close to 200 countries, some with dozens of subnational divisions?

Good luck.

Most of them are only in the 10-20 range, which is fortunate.

Still, I'm probably going to end up simply counting which column on my big spreadsheet has the fewest names in it. (Maybe Q, U, Y, J or Z).

Now I think about it, the O world might think it's the only country that's been separated, or that every country got separated, rather than getting divided by the English alphabet.
Yes, I forgot to mention that in the blurb. Though whether that's a more or less unsettling statement about the world is debatable.

Yes, I forgot to mention that in the blurb. Though whether that's a more or less unsettling statement about the world is debatable.

I suppose the idea that it was done country-by-country would be more reassuring, because lots of other countries would have been in similar or even worse positions and things would be relatively equal. By contrast, the idea that the name of a country (in a completely foreign language) no less is the reason why Oman is lonely and struggled while many other countries had larger powers (or just other nations) to trade with is probably irksome.

I suppose the idea that it was done country-by-country would be more reassuring, because lots of other countries would have been in similar or even worse positions and things would be relatively equal. By contrast, the idea that the name of a country (in a completely foreign language) no less is the reason why Oman is lonely and struggled while many other countries had larger powers (or just other nations) to trade with is probably irksome.
They'll find out soon though.