Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters
Hi everybody, I'm back. I probably won't be able to update as much, as I've got a 7 day/week job over the summer. But, while I haven't quite finished the next update, I have created a flag to go along with the next update which should be out tonight/tomorrow.

But, the main reason I'm posting here is to ask a question. Which dynasty is better, Hohenzollern or Bourbon? This will be important Soon™

Well, I'm tempted to go with Hohenzollern mostly because they aren't French, and they're still alive in the main branch. Kinda.

Plus picking a Hihenzollern for American King would be a good way to thank them for Von Steuben.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Well, I'm tempted to go with Hohenzollern mostly because they aren't French, and they're still alive in the main branch. Kinda.

I for one, thoroughly support anti-French sentiment as well, but the Hohenzollerns are still around? I thought they were like the Bourbons as deposed monarchs.

Plus picking a Hihenzollern for American King would be a good way to thank them for Von Steuben.

That's true, and in addition to that Von Steuben supported Henry of Prussia as a candidate for the American throne IOTL.

And a nice little retaliation for the Quasi-War.

Quasi-War was with the French republic though, the French Kingdom was fairly OK to America.

First American Refugee Crisis

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Welcome back to the Burn Down the South party hour with your host, myself. For today's episode, the state of Franklin will take a page from Europe's book, and take some refugees, and a new contender has come into the ring. Anywho, I hope you all enjoy.

“When was the last time you heard news accounts of a boatload of American refugees arrive on the shores of another country?”
--Marco Rubio

While the Carolinas burned, the State of Franklin was being flooded by refugees. Between the start of the Slave Rebellion and July 1st, nearly ten thousand white Carolinians passed into Franklin. Unfortunately for both the Franklinites and the refugees, the State of Franklin was suffering from overpopulation with between five and ten thousand citizens. With the population doubling or trebling in only a few months, Franklin would either have to expel the refugees, or expand into the Cherokee territory.

John Sevier, the Governor of Franklin, decided to expand. On July 6th, Sevier organized “every man over 16” out of the refugees, a total of twelve-hundred men, to march southwest to Running Water Town, the center of power for the Cherokee war chief, Dragging Canoe. It was a grueling endeavor for the both Sevier and the refugees. Despite Franklin’s small size, the lack of internal infrastructure caused the task to drag on through July and into August. On August 8th, the refugee army was finally ready. Under Sevier’s command, and Sevier’s personally designed battle flag, the Franklinite army began marching to Running Water Town.

While the Franklinite army was being assembled, Dragging Canoe was busy preparing as well. His time as War Chief had seen a large number of defeats at the hands of white settlers in the region, and Dragging Canoe knew that another defeat could dislodge the Cherokee from the entire Tennessee River region, but a victory would stabilize the situation for the Cherokee. Even with the preparations of Dragging Canoe, victory was far from certain for the Cherokee; Dragging Canoe could only call upon five hundred warriors to fight the Franklinites. Despite this, the Cherokee army would meet the Franklinite army on August 18th in the Battle of Great Tellico.

It was an absolute slaughter for the Cherokee. While no full account of the Battle survived into even the 1800s, a few details survived which indicate that the Cherokee had been caught off guard, and that Dragging Canoe had died within the first few minutes of the Battle. However, this defeat was not the end of the conflict. After a day of rest, the Franklinite army departed the battered town of Great Tellico, continuing to Running Water Town.

As Franklin fought in order to provide for the refugees, the refugees fleeing the destruction in Georgia were finding themselves in a peculiar situation. With the New Africans pushing into Georgia, a number of Georgians and South Carolinian refugees fled south across the Oconee River. This land was Upper Creek (also known as Muskogee) land; unlike the Cherokee however, the Muskogee were more receptive of the white settlers. This was in no small part because the Muskogee themselves held slaves and were in no hurry to antagonize “their enemies’ enemy.”

With the fall of Augusta, and George Walton’s coup, the number of people crossing the Oconee river dramatically increased. On June 28th, two anti-Walton Georgians, Elijah Clarke and Jared Irwin crossed the Oconee river as well, and began to organize a counter government. This counter government quickly garnered the support of the refugees, and on July 21st, a group of thirteen prominent members of the refugees, as well as Clarke and Irwin met in the refugee town of Scull Shoals and declared the Republic of the Trans-Occonee (this misspelling would be used interchangeably until become the official spelling in 1932) with Irwin as Governor of the Republic.

Four days later, Hoboi-Hili-Miko, the effective leader of the Muskogee arrived in Scull Shoals. Hoboi-Hili-Miko was somewhat concerned with the growing number of refugees, and the formation of the Republic of the Trans-Occonee. However, the July 25th meeting with Irwin proved to be a pivotal point for the region. During the meeting, Hoboi-Hili-Miko and Irwin hashed out an agreement for the future of Trans-Occonee. The Republic would be granted authority over the land west of the Oconee River, and east of the Ocmulgee river. However, the Republic had to grant full franchisement to the Muscogee on the land, and could not expel any Muscogee Indian from the land.

While the exact reason such generous terms were offered is unknown, the likeliest explination is that Hoboi-Hili-Miko believed that the Trans-Occonee Republic would serve as both a buffer between the New Africans and the Muscogee, and as a method of keeping the refugees from going further into Muscogee territory without risking angering the Americans or his Spanish supporters. Jared Irwin, agreed to the terms as the refugees of the Trans-Occonee had no further region to flee to if they angered the Muscogee.

Five days later, on July 30th, the Treaty of Scull Shoals was signed. While Walton and the Georgian government in exile would refuse to recognize it, a fourth independent republic had been carved out of American territory. Only time would tell their fates.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Good gravy, I'm not writing much anymore. Nevertheless, I'm almost done with a new update, but I've been feeling a little self-conscious. You see, I've got a general outline of the future of this timeline, and after reading this forum thread, I realized some of my timeline is going to be cliched for a period of time. However, to kill some of those rumors long before they begin, I've made a poor attempt at a WW2 era propaganda poster to show how the cliches should break down at some point. It's a serious spoiler though, so don't read unless you are OK with large spoilers.

WWPropoganda.jpg

The latest update sneaked past me.

Interesting. While the New Africans win territory the White refugees are forging new republics in the frontier.

Nice change for the Georgians to reach an accord with the locals. I wonder if the Cherokee will align with the New Africans against Franklin? Not sure if the New Africans can offer much aid at this point though.

And with everything south of Virginia in chaos what will the Americans in the Central and North be able to do?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Your still alive! Good to know.

Yep! I'm not dead yet! I just hope this plague cart leaves the front of my house. They don't seem to have gotten the message.

The latest update sneaked past me.

Interesting. While the New Africans win territory the White refugees are forging new republics in the frontier.

Nice change for the Georgians to reach an accord with the locals. I wonder if the Cherokee will align with the New Africans against Franklin? Not sure if the New Africans can offer much aid at this point though.

Probably not. The Cherokee have little to no method of reliably communicating with the New Africans, nor do they have any love for black slaves. But that doesn't mean that the New Africans are going to be without friends. After all, a few empires still have global ambitions they want to achieve yet.

And with everything south of Virginia in chaos what will the Americans in the Central and North be able to do?

That's an important question that the Southern leaders are beginning to ask themselves. After all, there must be thousands, nay hundreds of thousands of rebelling slaves. At least, that's what the Virginia Gazette and Weekly Advertiser says.

Three Votes for a King

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
And now, update time. I heard that y'all like chaos, so I brought some with a brand new crisis creator: The Constitution.

“It was the general opinion of ancient nations, that the divinity alone was adequate to the important office of giving laws to men…”
--John Adams

On July 23rd, the delegates from the Constitutional Convention departed Philadelphia to return to their home states. With this, the secrecy on the Constitutional Convention was lifted, and over the next few weeks, copies of the new constitution spread across the Union to a nervous people. Much to the surprise of many of the American people, the new Constitution did not provide for an absolute leader which had been a rumor that was spread by several newspapers across the Union. Instead, the general reaction across the Union was one of cautious optimism.

In New England, the reception of the proposed Constitution was far warmer than expected. The smaller, northern states had always been suspicious of any proposal to bring the states together, and had it not been for Article IX, it is likely that New England would have rejected the Constitution in its entirety. However, with Article IX (especially the provision giving most governing powers to the states), and memories of the Regulator Rebellion still sharp in the minds of New Englanders, the Constitution was received decently in New England.

Of the three main regions of the Union, the middle states received the proposed Constitution the best. The majority of these states had middle to large populations, and under the new Constitution, they would have increased power. The idea of a unified currency and trading laws was well appreciated by the middle states. In addition, the idea of an armed Federal government that would help any rebellion in the middle states was welcome. Despite neither the Regulator rebellion, or the Slave Revolt occurring on any territory of the middle states; the middle states had suffered a large economic and military burden assisting the unstable states, and keeping the flames of rebellion from erupting in their territories.

Due to the Slave Revolt, the general attitude of the southerners was largely one of ignorance to the very existence of the new constitution. However, the governments in exile of the Southern states appreciated the new constitution, and if anything were frustrated by the relative weakness of the proposed new government. They wanted a new government that would smash the slave rebels, and some in the governments in exile were afraid that the new Constitution wouldn’t provide for such a thing.

Despite the general success of the Constitution, there was one detail that caused worry amongst the American people. The monarchical provisions in Article III were troubling to many, to say the least. However, over the next two months, the general nervousness was put at ease by pamphlets and newspapers; each claiming that no state would vote for a monarch, it was effectively a moot point.

And then, on October 2nd, the South Carolinian government in exile voted on the Constitution. Technically, this was illegal, but this was forgotten in the outrage over what they voted for. South Carolina, the first state to vote for the Constitution, had voted for monarchy. Then, on October 3rd, the Georgian government in exile voted for monarchy, followed on October 5th by the North Carolinian government in exile. Three states were now pushing for monarchy.

To say that there were problems, was to put it lightly. Across the Union protests rocked the nation. Americans from Dover to Richmond began to write pamphlets, join clubs, and fly banners in support of either a Republic, or a Monarchy. On October 29th, the first meeting of the Athens Club, a republican society, occurred in Boston. Two days later, the Purple Club, a monarchical society, met for the first time across the street. However, of all the actions in the protests, one of the longest lasting occurred in New York on October 17th. A group of pro-republic protesters carried a republican banner, consisting of a white-black-red horizontal tricolor with the words REPUBLIC OR DEATH inscribed on it. It was the first instance of the American Republican Tricolor ever known to have been created.

recreation1787flag.png

EVERY MAN A KING, BUT NOBODY WEARS A CROWN!

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Wait, the three failed states get a vote?

Yep. While neither of the three states are in operational shape, the remaining slave states (Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, maybe New Jersey at this time) need the support of the three southern states, even if the support they can muster is only in political talk, not action. If they were to be ignored, the remaining slave states could just shoot down the new Constitution. And the North can't afford that. Every day, further evidence is being unearthed that Britain is prepared to undermine, bully and potentially even annex some of the northern states/territories. Therefore, the three southern states get a vote.

Technically they aren't allowed to vote now. The process of ratifying the Constitution required a popular convention, which none of the three states could do. But, people are willing to look past that at the moment.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I presume you have extra-special plans for Louisiana (and for Spanish America in general, judging by that "WW2" poster)
Certainly! After all, America IOTL was fairly lax until after WW2. That's the way of republics though, there's always pesky little things like "political disagreements" and "basic human rights" to be considered. But in a monarchy on the other hand, well, now you have an Imperial Eagle spreading freedom across the Americas:- nay, the globe!

Also, some other countries will be involved. This isn't going to be a TL where Latin America does bugger all except be invaded.