Will you do a pop culture centered updates s
In the future and also what's the team level of this world and how different is populere music like in this world and will jazz and blues exist in this timeline.

Good stuff! Although people should keep in mind this is in-universe historical fiction, so we can't really say how much of the character's motivations and beliefs - let alone personal thoughts - are made up from whole cloth.

Great stuff, and a Belgian spy corps that operates like the Sparrow school in OTL Soviet Union? Certainly didn't see that one coming. Out of curiosity Thande, do they have a similar program for males, or is house Brabant very much fixated on the fairer sex where these extracurriculars are concerned?

Great stuff, and a Belgian spy corps that operates like the Sparrow school in OTL Soviet Union? Certainly didn't see that one coming. Out of curiosity Thande, do they have a similar program for males, or is house Brabant very much fixated on the fairer sex where these extracurriculars are concerned?

The one thing we can be sure of - she will make her sempai notice her. ;)

Skallagrim

Banned
A very interesting and well-written instalment. Spies always speak to the imagination, somehow.

Perhaps it's very nitpick-y, but as a Dutch (or should I say Belgian in this thread?) fellow, I feel somewhat obligated to point out that the Dutch name rendered below isn't entirely accurate.

KINGDOM OF THE REUNITED NETHERLANDS (KONINKRIJK DE HERENIGD NEDERLANDEN)

It should be "Koninkrijk der Herenigde Nederlanden". It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but since you are creating a TL of such quality, I figured you'd want to know.

Iorangi hurried up. He was a little older than Wehihimana, weathered and scarred. The fact that his tattoos went around the scars, rather than being interrupted by them, betrayed the fact that they had come later. He had been born into near-slavery to kidnapped Mauré parents in some forgotten corner of the great sandy continent, forced to work in the gold mines. Only skill and luck and providence had allowed him to escape with a gold nugget that paid his passage back to his parents’ ancestral land. “Kia ora, Warlord. What do you want from me?”

It's possible I've become way too attuned to potential TTL references in this TL, but is it a coincidence that the Mauré who uses this greeting has a name that looks a bit like "orangey"?

Faeelin

Banned
Good stuff! Although people should keep in mind this is in-universe historical fiction, so we can't really say how much of the character's motivations and beliefs - let alone personal thoughts - are made up from whole cloth.
This is an interesting point. I would love if everyone is projecting a super seductive Belgian spy arm where one didn't exist.

Yay for two updates in a row. Finally something but...

should hopefully resume in about a month

You said that the last time, didn't you? :D

but it's considered confusingly ambiguous given terms like 'Cape Dutch', 'Batavian Dutch'

Wouldn't 'Belgian Dutch' be good enough?

the thought about him being a coward for instance

I was kinda annoyed at this. But I guess this is the state of psychology and its spread to the masses of the time.

I spy something similar to this, but in Belgium.

Natalia Romerch?

if with understandable grouchiness Brussels runs the show

This sounds kinda familiar... :D

I have to live with the horror of knowing TTL me is considered "Pennsylvanian" as their adjective outside of American. I know the feeling.

I don't fancy being 'Danubian' either. :D

Thande

Donor
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Will you do a pop culture centered updates s
In the future and also what's the team level of this world and how different is populere music like in this world and will jazz and blues exist in this timeline.
If you go back to part 243 there is an extended sequence about what has taken the place of jazz/blues in TTL.

A very interesting and well-written instalment. Spies always speak to the imagination, somehow.

Perhaps it's very nitpick-y, but as a Dutch (or should I say Belgian in this thread?) fellow, I feel somewhat obligated to point out that the Dutch name rendered below isn't entirely accurate.

It should be "Koninkrijk der Herenigde Nederlanden". It hardly matters in the grand scheme of things, but since you are creating a TL of such quality, I figured you'd want to know.
Thanks, will fix.

It's possible I've become way too attuned to potential TTL references in this TL, but is it a coincidence that the Mauré who uses this greeting has a name that looks a bit like "orangey"?
I wish I could claim credit for that bad pun, but no, that was a random choice of name. I too was aware of Kia-Ora the drink before knowing it is named for a Maori greeting, so it's like those people who wonder why Italy named their hero of independence after a biscuit.

This is an interesting point. I would love if everyone is projecting a super seductive Belgian spy arm where one didn't exist.
That's one of the points I'm interested in pushing with the historical fiction framing device. It's obviously a great get out of jail free card for a writer to wave away any inconsistencies, but beyond that I think it plants a seed of uncertainty in the reader (the same attitude they should have when reading OTL historical fiction of course). I've tried, sometimes subtly and sometimes more blatantly, to show that the same historical figures are being interpreted very differently by different writers writing almost a century after the fact. E.g. with Admiral Hughes, whether he genuinely respects Wehihimana or views him as a savage he's conning into a doomed distraction varies between the writers.

Thanks, anything else that might be different in music? Also what's the teck level of this timeline agine?
Edit: I can't find the part, can you give me a link.

If the spies' shenanigans get discovered, could it mean that Belgium will become a co-belligerent of ENA and co., and by extension also Germany and co.?

Also, do we have names for the two sides? Cause that'd be nice.

Is there a tl map of the world at or near the current time? Or one of carolina specifically?

The last map is this one, from before the Pandoric War.

fetch.php

I wonder just how societism will evolve. I could see it as either affably incompetent like the regime in the movie Brazil or like Oceania in 1984. Knowing Thande, it will probably be the latter, since societism has elements of everything he despises. I'd be surprised if it wasn't something like the USSR under Stalin. Also, I think one of us should make a map of the Societist empire at its height (merely as a prediction) and then see how different it is when Thande proves us wrong in the end:coldsweat: I think it'd be a fun little experiment while we wait for Thande to come back from his vacation (I'd do it, but I have no experience with maps).