MBAMs of OTL - Specific Data (religious, linguistic, etc.) Thread

Montenegro, based on this (featuring the actual Montenegrin language)
upload_2017-6-28_13-25-33.png

Btw, I feel like South Slavic languages are unreadable, especially Bosnian next to Serbian, we should probably work on that

upload_2017-6-28_13-39-49.png

Changed some South and West Slavic colors, added Montenegro, also added stripes to Carpathian Ruthenia (since Ukraine doesn't recognise the Rusyns as an actual ethnic group, we don't really have info on what parts of Carpathian Ruthenia are Ukrainian majority and which are Rusyn)

This is a fantastic map, its coming along greatly, I have a few suggestions for the map.

In Hrodna voblast in Belarus there is a region of polish speakers, not shown on the map, if included based on the densities used in Lithuania it would look something similar this:
1belarus-polish region.png

A density by district map can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Poles_in_Belarus_share_2009.png

In Bosnia and Herzegovina, there is a small Croatian speaking region known as Posavina Canton that is sandwiched between srpska and croatia also not on the map
1Bosnia-posavina.png

Turkey is definitely going to need a lot of work, Hatay Province is shown on the map as Kurdish, but is actually predominantly Turkish and Arabic Speaking with few Kurds at all. In Central Turkey there is another language called Zazaki, while it is similar to the Kurdish language it is a completely separate language. Throughout the Kurdish regions there are many Turkish speaking areas and there is a significant amount of regional overlap between the two, hatched lines may be a solution for the most mixed parts of Turkey.

VT45

Banned
Kurdish isn't spoken in Gaziantep or Hatay. It's pretty solidly Turkish-speaking. As is Sanliurfa. Also Kurdish isn't a Turkic language; it's an Indo-European language related to Farsi.

I am attempting to work out the Kurdish regions of Eastern Turkey, there definitely are a lot of conflicting maps concerning the region and finding a perfect one will be impossible, especially considering the Turkish government refuses to recognize the Kurd's as a distinct group in any of its official records.
A really helpful (but by no means ideal) map I did find was this one:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0f/Hdp2015Kasım.png
It shows percentage of voters per district that voted for the pro-kurdish HDP party, assuming that the majority of its voters are kurdish it gives a good estimate of the distribution of Kurds in Turkey.

Here is my first attempt, it is bound to contain countless errors as it is only a rough draft based on indirect data and it still requires the addition of the Zaza language speakers, which will overlap with Kurdish regions:
turkeywip.png

If anyone has any suggestions or finds any major errors let me know, and if anyone has a better distribution map with more accurate sources let me know. Also we will need a color for Zazaki, it is an Iranic language just like Kurdish or Persian, so it should be shaded similarly.

VT45

Banned
That looks a lot more reasonable and in line with what I know from my time over there.

Added in Zaza in its core regions, its going to be very difficult to find the proper boundaries between Kurdish and Zaza, a lot of it is going to need to be hatched because of overlap, I'm going to try and do some more research if I have some time this weekend.
I also restored the azeri regions in igdar province that got removed by mistake with my last edit, I'm also contemplating weather Laz should be made separate from Georgian or perhaps listed as Georgian/Laz.
turkeywip.png

So maybe roughly something like this (note the red lines are just indicative, a better effort might be done by overlaying the 2 somewhat different 2009 maps over the 2001 map and then using the areas that both 2009 maps agree show the same thing as the basis of drawing the speech areas):

Notes to the map - the numbers denote the width of the stripes. So Ukr - 3 and Ru - 2 means the diagonal stripes would have a width of 3 pixels for Ukrainian and 2 pixels for Russian. "Bel" would mean Belarusian/Trasianka (the Belarusian/Russian equivalent of Surzhyk - shown with maybe equal pixel widths of Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian?) and Rusyn would be where Rusyn would be shown with Ukrainian stripes of 3 pixels width and Rusyn stripes of 2 pixels width). And in the Ukraine/Belarus border area around Poland the "West Polsn" would stand for West Polesian (which is apparently a transitional microlanguage between Ukrainian and Belarusian)

Woah, this is perfect.
These maps seem to show a lot mre Russian though. Why is there such a difference?

So a patch illustrating roughly what I'm suggesting here (but without the West Polesian dialect in Belarus and Ukraine which would have to be added):

Attachments

• ukraine language patch.png
    ukraine language patch.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 428
Also, is it worth considering making Basque speaking areas of the Spanish Basque Country monolingual?'As Valencia and Catalonia are too

I redid the zaza areas with hatched lines to show overlapping regions, the range of the hatched lines may be extend a little farther than they should (or possibly not far enough in some areas), I tried to keep it solid only in the areas where the zaza speakers are densest and/or shown consistently across various source maps. I've run out of time for today, but if I can find the time this weekend I will try to research by province and then by district to see if I can find other locations where Turkish and Kurdish communities overlap, I know there are a lot of Turkish settlements in the Kurdish provinces and there are Kurdish communities scattered in pockets throughout central anatolia.

turkeywip.png