Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Isaac Beach

Banned
How's this by comparison? A bit rough admittedly, the peak in the western hemisphere should be directly above that inland sea, for one.

EDITED: Fixed.

Titan - Copy.png

Working on a terraformed Titan map, based on the map beneath, finished most of the western sea though the minor details and the very edge aren't finished. Anyone who's willing to contribute is welcome though try and keep the general style homogenous for aesthetic reasons.
NASA has something that might come in handy.
748976main_pia16848-full_full.jpg

CannedTech

Banned
Ooo, I might have a go at doing some of those, I have a vested interest since I've got some map game stuff with Solar System planets going.

Excellent work by the way Howaboutthis.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Ooo, I might have a go at doing some of those, I have a vested interest since I've got some map game stuff with Solar System planets going.

Excellent work by the way Howaboutthis.

That sounds really cool actually. When you do make a map game and if you need assistance, let me know; that sounds right up my alley.

Thanks! :biggrin: And you can call me Isaac if you like, certainly easier to write.

CannedTech

Banned
That sounds really cool actually. When you do make a map game and if you need assistance, let me know; that sounds right up my alley.

Thanks! :biggrin: And you can call me Isaac if you like, certainly easier to write.

Ah, it's an ongoing fiction ISOT map game of sorts, dunno if you're into that but feel free to join at any time. Fair warning though, the ISOT phase is over and the story phase is in swing. I'll probably use the idea behind it in future endeavors as well though.

That'll work, figures since it's your sig, shoulda seen that. :coldsweat:

One thing I'm having a puzzle over is just how the hell Ganymede's gonna be mapped...

Isaac Beach

Banned
Does anyone have any advice on how to represent a tidally-locked planet in a basemap-type format?

Well I'd indicate the point at which the planet is tidally locked, likely the middle, via a line or other indication, and that would mean one half of the map should be the outward face. After which probably just draw snow caps and ice water everywhere, as that'd demonstrate how frozen it is; you could differentiate the sun facing side by using lava or something. Maybe use different shades for the ocean, one light for the sunward side and the other dark to show it in shadow. Most other ways I can think of are just some variation of that.

Does anyone have any advice on how to represent a tidally-locked planet in a basemap-type format?
Below is a scrapped project of mine (a tidally locked proxima centauri b). i think you can get a basic idea of how to represent the terminator line habitable zone(Maybe it should be a bit thinner and outward curving).
ztidallylocked.png

CannedTech

Banned
Working on a revamped Ganymede Worlda based on a map provided to me by @Serafim. I'll be doing revamps of Callisto and Europa after this one as well, and will hopefully be able to do one for Triton if I can find a good map for it.

upload_2017-6-21_14-6-20.png

Last edited:
Working on a revamped Ganymede Worlda based on a map provided to me by Serafim. I'll be doing revamps of Callisto and Europa after this one as well, and will hopefully be able to do one for Titan if I can find a good map for it.
Could you share these maps of Ganymede, Callisto and Europa, if it's not a problem? (Are they topographic/elevation maps or...)
do you have any other map resources for the moons of Saturn/Juptier?
It's barely anything but I have some Jupiter/Neptune Trojans and Centaurs:
upload_2017-6-21_22-0-46.png

upload_2017-6-21_22-1-33.png

upload_2017-6-21_22-2-11.png

Amalthea and Hyperion to scale:
upload_2017-6-21_22-4-57.png

upload_2017-6-21_22-9-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-21_22-7-0.png
    upload_2017-6-21_22-7-0.png
    336 bytes · Views: 428