Worst 19th Century Alternate History Cliches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethiopia and Liberia are the only sub-Saharan African nations which can survive the Scramble for Africa.

It was decreed by God in 1800 that the 19th century would suck for the following nations: Spain, the Ottoman Empire, China and all of Asia outside of Japan, all of Africa

Speaking of the Ottoman Empire, they're lucky to have their OTL borders by 1900. If they do, it'll be right before they get colonised by a bunch of European countries

Greece will go from non-existent in 1800 to becoming the Byzantine Empire by 1900, and the Byzantine Empire will of course be one of the Great Powers of Europe. It will also not be called be Greece, but literally called the Byzantine Empire and style itself as the successor to the original Byzantium, and Europe will treat this as a normal course of affairs.

Spain sucks, period. After getting beat up by Napoleon and their former Latin American colonies, they'll just sit around all century and exist as a country to win easy wars against to take the remaining Spanish colonies

Russian Alaska becoming a thriving, well-populated colony that either successfully revolts away from Russia like the US or otherwise becomes the government in exile once the Soviets take over Russia.

Australia is always the same, unless New Zealand fuses with it.

The only nations which can survive colonialism in East Asia are Japan, China, Thailand, and Persia, and none of these nations are any more successful or developed than in OTL except Japan. Vietnam, Burma, etc. exist only to be colonised. Afghanistan may or may not survive, but it'll just join the British Empire.

The Panama Canal will always be built, and if it isn't, it will be because the Nicaragua Canal was built instead.

Haiti will always be a poor godawful republic, never a not as a poor less godawful republic or a poor godawful monarchy or a not as a poor less godawful monarchy. Obviously a dictatorial republic too. The one exception is if Haiti is given the light of civilization by a good white nation like the United States, the Confederate States, Britain, or France, then it'll end up a prosperous and developed part of that nation (and probably end up majority white). Haiti can never do this on its own.

Some people on this board are describing things as "cliches" which are entirely predictable. Haiti, for example, has an incredibly dire starting point. Race is irrelevant: any society where 95%+ of the population have been used as slaves in non-technical tasks for generations is in a near impossible starting place. The only people with education or administrative experience are going to be (understandably) hated and chased out the country when the inevitable revolt happens, and the rest of the population will not have the skills or wealth to build something from that. If you have a tiny population, you can try to avoid the first by being a tax haven, but when you have a big population that capital is going to be spread far too thinly to have any impact. Oh, and that's before you add-in the fact you get hit by deadly hurricanes fairly regularly too.

Some people on this board are describing things as "cliches" which are entirely predictable. Haiti, for example, has an incredibly dire starting point. Race is irrelevant: any society where 95%+ of the population have been used as slaves in non-technical tasks for generations is in a near impossible starting place. The only people with education or administrative experience are going to be (understandably) hated and chased out the country when the inevitable revolt happens, and the rest of the population will not have the skills or wealth to build something from that. If you have a tiny population, you can try to avoid the first by being a tax haven, but when you have a big population that capital is going to be spread far too thinly to have any impact. Oh, and that's before you add-in the fact you get hit by deadly hurricanes fairly regularly too.

Toussaint louverture actively retained white former plantation owners for their expertise and multiple people in favor of slavery described his (free, black) reign positively.

That's true, but it doesn't always have to be utterly dire. I don't doubt that Haiti is bound to suffer for decades after independence (including that French indemnity). But even by 1900, Haiti can be on the way to something more, even if not much more than a standard Latin American country. And it isn't hard to imagine a 21st century Haiti which isn't much less developed than the Dominican Republic.

And then of course the more flavorful Haiti's, like the Kingdom of Haiti and such, could always exist. It isn't like every wannabe Napoleon has to be a Bokassa-type and have an utterly disastrous reign.

Ok, here my attempt:

*The technology develops in the same speed as OTL, never faster or earlier, by 1900 they are always on the same level as OTL 1990, disconsidering that depending of simple PoDs it would mean that some places could be more and less developed as OTL (No german unification = No Krupp cannons, or at least not as they were OTL)
*ALWAYS a Hitler analogue os born in the 1880s, and some of them are even born on april 20 of 1889
*The Russian monarchy always reach the end of the century as it did OTL, and the empire proceeds to collapse pretty much at the same date as OTL, unless for some reason Nicholas II is killed and if this happens the scenario somehows ends in a Russiawank with the empire becaming a british styled constitutional monarchy, and in 9 of 10 scenarios this also means that the Russians take over Manchuria, mongolia and Sinkiang
*The Qing Dynasty never reforms, with only ONE exception that is "Mexico ascendent"
*Ideologies are developed also as OTL. "Hey Napoleon won the war in europe completely changing the timeline, but Marx still will publish the communist manifesto in the same date as OTL"
*Either France is completely wanked or Germany, and if the germans fail at the Franco Prussian war the british WILL ally with them to counter France and Russia
*Napoleon III is a idiot and he always end losing the empire
*Austria will always reform into austria Hungary, and they usually will collapse after WWI, even if they win the war
In my TL, I have hitler himself admitted by art school and volunteered for WW1.

For some reason, a world without Hitler just seems..... wrong.

What do they seek to achieve? Greater Poland or Greater Commonwealth?

A Poland from the elbe to the volga, I'm not kidding

The scenario was dropped because they convinced him that Poland, being less populated than Germany and France wouldn't be able to make conquests

A Poland from the elbe to the volga, I'm not kidding

The scenario was dropped because they convinced him that Poland, being less populated than Germany and France wouldn't be able to make conquests
I am losing IQ as I read this paragraph.
I thought my GreaterReich was ASB enough.

Oh, well then. If we can have a Polish Hitler, then I shall make a timeline about a Lithuanian Hitler.

I once had a idea of something close to that, the PoD would be to have Lithuania to break away from the commonwealth in the 1400s for some reason, and they proceed to seize control of Ukraien from the collapsing Golden horde and the ukrainian grain allow Lithuania to have a population boom, and so in the following centuries they surpass Poland and became a strong power until Poland and Russia splits lithuania, but during the Napoleonic wars Napoleon still invades Russia (and Poland, that is a member of the coalition) and he re stabilishes the kingdom of Lithuania in the way, that turns into a military state in the following decades to prevent it's re annexation, something like a mix of napoleonic France with Frederick the great prussia

This is not so unplausible, since Lithuania was so big in comparation to Poland, they just lacked the population to overcome the poles

unnamed-3.jpg

I once had a idea of something close to that, the PoD would be to have Lithuania to break away from the commonwealth in the 1400s for some reason, and they proceed to seize control of Ukraien from the collapsing Golden horde and the ukrainian grain allow Lithuania to have a population boom, and so in the following centuries they surpass Poland and became a strong power until Poland and Russia splits lithuania, but during the Napoleonic wars Napoleon still invades Russia (and Poland, that is a member of the coalition) and he re stabilishes the kingdom of Lithuania in the way, that turns into a military state in the following decades to prevent it's re annexation, something like a mix of napoleonic France with Frederick the great prussia

This is not so unplausible, since Lithuania was so big in comparation to Poland, they just lacked the population to overcome the poles

unnamed-3.jpg

Yeah, but they'd just be Belarusian or Ukrainian and not Lithuanian/Balts.

unnamed-3.jpg
Hmm, well:

• Lithuania already held "Ukraine" in the 1400s (as in, the core of the territory of OTL Ukraine, there was no "Ukraine" back then)
  • There was no Commonwealth in the 1400s, only a personal union, and that union was pretty much only limited to the same monarch, and otherwise the two countries were separate until the late 16th century (they didn't even usually help in each other's wars). A personal union can very easily be broken and indeed had been temporarily broken twice IOTL, but it would also be just as possible to outright avoid it.
  • Lithuania's primary goal in foreign policy was conquering all of Russia (Grand Duke Kęstutis even said "All of Rus' must belong to the Lithuanians"), and an independent Lithuania would continue that policy, I think.
  • Would Napoleon even exist in this TL? No Commonwealth would have huge implications on the history of Central Europe, and butterflies from there would likely reach France way earlier than the 18th century.
But for such a scenario, I think the best POD would be a Lithuanian victory at the Battle of the Vorskla River in 1399, it would have led to Lithuanian domination of the Pontic Steppe and likely a broken union with Poland early enough to prevent it from being restored.

Yeah, but they'd just be Belarusian or Ukrainian and not Lithuanian/Balts.
In my Lithuania TL (in my sig), I prevented that by creating an enmity between the Slavs and the Lithuanians during the events of the timeline, creating a sort of "Qing Empire" scenario, where the Lithuanians/Manchus are relatively separate from the Slavs/Chinese while still remaining in control for now.

samcster94

Banned
I only know one thing about it:

that too, started by the same country{and not against a racist settler white ethnic society that had been around around for centuries, but against indigenous Africans who'd been there longer}
The boer war was white people attacking other white people.

In my Lithuania TL (in my sig), I prevented that by creating an enmity between the Slavs and the Lithuanians during the events of the timeline, creating a sort of "Qing Empire" scenario, where the Lithuanians/Manchus are relatively separate from the Slavs/Chinese while still remaining in control for now.

I need to read the rest of it sometime.

that too, started by the same country{and not against a racist settler white ethnic society that had been around around for centuries, but against indigenous Africans who'd been there longer}
The boer war was white people attacking other white people.

ZULUS ATTACK, FIGHT BACK TO BACK is hard to beat (even if it didn't get played live when I saw the band in question last month, even though it should've been).

Deleted member 67076

-Nothing ever happens in Latin America other than the Eternal Yanqui stomping on it forever.
-Latin America will always take a presidential model that dooms it to Caudilloismo
-Nothing ever happens in Africa except for being carved up in the 1880s
-The US is always immune to internal instability. (Wonder what would happen if someone did a timeline where the US had the political instability of Mexico)
-New Imperialism is guaranteed, nevermind the impact of the Long Depression of the 1870s and how Free Trade was the predominant mentality of the 1860s.
-The Middle East and China are as fragile as glass
-American annexation of Central America/Spanish Caribbean (Granted that's also my personal bias, particularly against the 1870 annexation attempt at Santo Domingo because no one seems to realize the guy who drafted the treaty was only in charge for Four Months and barely controlled the capitol)
-Spain always keeps some remnant of their empire until its snatched away by another Great Power.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.