MBAMs of OTL - Specific Data (religious, linguistic, etc.) Thread

Well, I think there are millions of Kurds in Istambul
About Finland, the map is right:

I didn't see the Western Europe map! This map should be our main reference
No dialects tho

In the map of Finland, if you look at the map's description, you can see Helsinki labelled as "Bilingual municipalities with Finnish as the majority language". So it should be Finnish.

It's not my project, it's a community project :Р
I just happen to be interested in it

I dunno about Wymysiöeryś though, I think it would stand out compared to other languages most of which a sizeable number of native speakers, cover a certain territory and have recognition, but I don't mind if you add it. I guess the same can be said about Tsakonian.
We really need to add the languages of all the arious minorities in Russia though, there's too much missing there (particularly Udmurt, Mari, Erzya and Moksha, not to mention the Caucasus)

In that case... here's the latest version, with Low German, Vilamovian, Scots, Luxembourgish and Faroese added to the map as well as the legend. ;-)

languagemap.png

Iraq: seems Assyrian neo-aramaic is missing, it is present in a couple of villages and towns of northern Iraq, as well as Urmia, Khabur river valley, and a few pickets in Turkey

Slovakia:there is also a pocket of Hungarians near Nitra/Zlate Moravce, and Rusyns in Medzilaborce.

Albania needs to be adressed as well :p I would do it but to be honest I have no clue how in gods name to do the stripped areas...

Great map @BryanIII ! Are those minorities the majority in the colored regions?
As for the "striped areas" there must be lots of ways to do it, and I'm far from an expert when it comes to making maps... But the way I do it is this (on MS Paint):
1. Make a striped field in a new file (just copy it from elsewhere on the map, like Belarus or Occitania).
2. Make the geographical area that you want hatched white.
3. Drag the white area (make the selection transparent) over the striped field. Like this:

RkRobzv.png

Iraq: seems Assyrian neo-aramaic is missing, it is present in a couple of villages and towns of northern Iraq, as well as Urmia, Khabur river valley, and a few pickets in Turkey

Slovakia:there is also a pocket of Hungarians near Nitra/Zlate Moravce, and Rusyns in Medzilaborce.

Good points! The Middle East is clearly far from done. I am now updating it, so within an hour or so there'll be a new map with a fixed Kurdish & Azeri language area and with Aramaic & Turkmen added in. I'll also take care of Hungarian & Rusyn ;)

Great map @BryanIII ! Are those minorities the majority in the colored regions?
As for the "striped areas" there must be lots of ways to do it, and I'm far from an expert when it comes to making maps... But the way I do it is this (on MS Paint):
1. Make a striped field in a new file (just copy it from elsewhere on the map, like Belarus or Occitania).
2. Make the geographical area that you want hatched white.
3. Drag the white area (make the selection transparent) over the striped field. Like this:

RkRobzv.png

Good points! The Middle East is clearly far from done. I am now updating it, so within an hour or so there'll be a new map with a fixed Kurdish & Azeri language area and with Aramaic & Turkmen added in. I'll also take care of Hungarian & Rusyn ;)
Also, if you're returning to the Balkans I would suggest adding Czechs and Slovaks to Croatia and Vojvodina. Furthermore there are some Croats in Burgenland

Except for Aromanian and the areas outlined as "minority area" the languages are a minority.
Godammit you make it seem so easy! I might try it... :p

Great! I look forward to see the result. Good luck :D

Also, if you're returning to the Balkans I would suggest adding Czechs and Slovaks to Croatia and Vojvodina. Furthermore there are some Croats in Burgenland

Thanks for the suggestions! I totally redid Slovakia, Iraq, Syria, Vojvodina and Iran. Also fixed Kurdish in Turkey, but there are too many conflicting maps on their spread, so we're gonna have to look into that. :)

kurdisharamaic.png

Great! I look forward to see the result. Good luck :D

Thanks for the suggestions! I totally redid Slovakia, Iraq, Syria, Vojvodina and Iran. Also fixed Kurdish in Turkey, but there are too many conflicting maps on their spread, so we're gonna have to look into that. :)

kurdisharamaic.png
Are we expanding into Africa and Asia?
Also I prefer a lot what you just did than the striped areas

Are we expanding into Africa and Asia?
Also I prefer a lot what you just did than the striped areas

Eventually, we definitely should! First we have a lot of work to do in Europe though, I'm afraid.

As for the striped areas, in most cases that's because the area has no clear linguistic boundaries - just a general region where both languages are spoken alongside each other (especially in the case of Occitan & French, or Low & High German). If there are any maps that clarify the boundaries, be sure to share them though! :)

What language are these two blobs near Syrian-Turkish border? They don't appear in the legend.

(also, I like how Rusyn has been added in Slovakia and Vojvodina, but not in Carpathian Ruthenia proper)

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-16_18-35-58.png
    upload_2017-6-16_18-35-58.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 426