MBAMs of OTL - Specific Data (religious, linguistic, etc.) Thread

I'll fix the things Brian mentioned and merge all the changes. I won't be around the next ~20 hours, so it wouldn't make sense to claim anything larger than that

upload_2017-6-5_22-41-9.png

EDIT: Now with Kashubian and Silesian!

Last edited:
Amazing work!! Here's a tiny contribution to your awesome project.
It's the Kashubian, Silesian and German languages within Poland, and the Polish and Silesian languages within Czechia.
The German language is shown in those communes where the language is is spoken by 30-40% of the population according to censuses.

Attachments

• poland and czechia.PNG
    poland and czechia.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 459
Idd so because Italy turns out to have a surprising amount of minorities languages as does Greece (not including the Tsakonian language which is a technically a dialect because its Greek, but distinct enough for there to be a language gap) , also... there is Bulgarian spoken in Eastern Serbia en Albanian in Presevo and areas
Yes, we only have one country finished: Ukraine (apart from its shape, let's see if Valdore can fix it).
If you want, you can also make another country, so we can progress on this

This is the most detailed map of languages in Ukraine I was able to find, but it's based on 2001 census. Should we use it?

Current progress:

I'll be updating this until it's finished
EDIT: I'm taking a break, will finish Donetsk & Luhansk some time later
EDIT: Almost done, god damnit
EDIT: DONE (finally)

Beautifully done.

I've wondered though if this shouldn't be combined with the maps based on a 2009 survey done by the Kiev National Linguistic University showing the use of Russian, Surzhyk and Ukrainian:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ae/9f/a2/ae9fa2b061a4efce653e31bb01c2a970.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqgn9IpCMAAdRw6.png

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-TCUn1OuHmCU/U...%2520LINGUISTIC-MAP-OF-UKRAINE.jpg?imgmax=800

Hashing the areas that are supposed to use Surzhyk a lot (hashing it as Ukrainian/Russian usage) should work well enough I think.

Woah, this is perfect.
These maps seem to show a lot mre Russian though. Why is there such a difference?

I can think of a couple reasons:

1. the 2001 map might be showing how people self-identify ("Russian" or "Ukrainian") as opposed to what they speak ("Russian language" or "Ukrainian language")

2. the 2001 map could perhaps be the result of the census question asking what the person considered their native language as opposed to the language they employed in daily use (there could be a difference after all, for example in Malta the native language might be Maltese, but if the person works in a hotel with international staff and has a non-Maltese spouse then the language most often used would probably be English).

3. the 2009 maps also specifically include Surzhyk (which is Ukrainian with Russian terms or Russian with Ukrainian terms, the two sort of blend apparently and there isn't a set standard for Surzhyk). This might indicate a different approach by the survey team in determining language use.

So maybe roughly something like this (note the red lines are just indicative, a better effort might be done by overlaying the 2 somewhat different 2009 maps over the 2001 map and then using the areas that both 2009 maps agree show the same thing as the basis of drawing the speech areas):

Notes to the map - the numbers denote the width of the stripes. So Ukr - 3 and Ru - 2 means the diagonal stripes would have a width of 3 pixels for Ukrainian and 2 pixels for Russian. "Bel" would mean Belarusian/Trasianka (the Belarusian/Russian equivalent of Surzhyk - shown with maybe equal pixel widths of Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian?) and Rusyn would be where Rusyn would be shown with Ukrainian stripes of 3 pixels width and Rusyn stripes of 2 pixels width). And in the Ukraine/Belarus border area around Poland the "West Polsn" would stand for West Polesian (which is apparently a transitional microlanguage between Ukrainian and Belarusian)

Attachments

• ukraine rough.png
    ukraine rough.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 548