MBAMs of OTL - Specific Data (religious, linguistic, etc.) Thread

Here's willkozz's linguistic map with FrankCesco's improvements
I'll try and fix the islands colored in Russian
EDIT: Fixed the islands
EDIT: Fixed FrankCesco's differently colored borders
upload_2017-6-5_8-12-20.png

Last edited:
This is the most detailed map of languages in Ukraine I was able to find, but it's based on 2001 census. Should we use it?
It's strange to see so many straight lines, I thought that was just isolated to the US and Canada. Anyways, I don't think it would've changed that much since then, with the possible exception of the Donetsk War.

What do you guys think if we make another progress map for religion and languages? I'm saying it because there's A LOT of languages and religions, and with the MBAM, we need the highest level of detail.

Map of Europe by types of government:
There's also a legend included
ap8LOvX.png

Note: Keep in mind I classified countries by their de jure type of government.

How do you guys get the shading for the linguistic map? I might do this myself but equally it's quite a controversial change.

I'd shade the Central Belt of Scotland and especially the North East of Scotland in a slightly different colour (by some definitions you could include the northernmost parts of England), to represent the Scots language. It's debatable whether it is different enough to be a language or whether it is a dialect, but it is worth noting.

How do you guys get the shading for the linguistic map? I might do this myself but equally it's quite a controversial change.

I'd shade the Central Belt of Scotland and especially the North East of Scotland in a slightly different colour (by some definitions you could include the northernmost parts of England), to represent the Scots language. It's debatable whether it is different enough to be a language or whether it is a dialect, but it is worth noting.
Well, I made this list of Indo-European languages a while ago (couldn't finish Iranian and Indo-Aryan, but in our case it's fine), but it might be too inclusive (quite a lot of these languages might be classified as dialects rather)
Should we use this as a guide as to what to include as languages?

Also, I recall there was a historical M-BAM thread (although I can't seem to find it for some reason). I think we should keep the two separated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-5_8-8-28.png
    upload_2017-6-5_8-8-28.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,002
Last edited:
Well, I made this list of Indo-European languages a while ago (couldn't finish Iranian and Indo-Aryan, but in our case it's fine), but it might be too inclusive (quite a lot of these languages might be classified as dialects rather)
Should we use this as a guide as to what to include as languages?
Are we actually going to do ALL languages? We'll need even more colors. Are you making progress?

Are we actually going to do ALL languages? We'll need even more colors. Are you making progress?
I've just woken up, actually. I doubt that more colors will be a big issue. We'll need to add a legend soon though.
EDIT: Currently working on Odessa Oblast, will upload it soon (hopefully)

Last edited:
Odessa Oblast
upload_2017-6-5_9-39-46.png

(damn you, Bessarabia!)
EDIT: I'll keep working on Southwestern Ukraine, most of it is a lot easier than Odessa, so shouldn't take as long

Current progress:
upload_2017-6-5_19-16-20.png

I'll be updating this until it's finished
EDIT: I'm taking a break, will finish Donetsk & Luhansk some time later
EDIT: Almost done, god damnit
EDIT: DONE (finally)

Last edited:
Made a linguistic map for Switzerland.
Might come back to it but some dialect-areas are too small even on an M-BAM level and there are multiple versions of preexisting maps

Attachments

• Swiss Language.png
    Swiss Language.png
    5 KB · Views: 1,205