Another Map Contest?

It has been six months since the last map contest where we cartographers last bickered and argued about who can draw the best wavy lines.

And so I, the great and modest Scarecrow, almost-winner of the First Contest and part of the judging panel on the second (along with lesser titles ;)), declare that time is ripe for a third. Over the last six months new talents have emerged, and new tools of cartography have been embraced. As I find partaking in the contest to be far more enjoyable then running one, I will partake this time around.

So, we need some judges, along with some contestants, along with some suggestions for how the contest could be improved. Perhaps Shadow Knight would be happy to take his role as Chief Judge again?

So, any thoughts/questions/death threats?

Good idea.

The same rules as before? How many rounds? Not all of us have access to Photoshop, how do we deal when judging the maps?
I could be a judge, unless of course someone more qualified and/or respected wants this function.

Good idea.

The same rules as before? How many rounds? Not all of us have access to Photoshop, how do we deal when judging the maps?
I could be a judge, unless of course someone more qualified and/or respected wants this function.

I'd join this time. I know a whole lot more about map-making than I did in the previous contest.

I, euio, am most definitely joining this third competition.

Unless I become a judge.

Well if you want to be a judge then just nominate yourself. Shadow Knight said he would take up his post as chief judge again.

Unless anyone has any major complaints with the rules from last time I think we should keep them the same.

I think about five or six rounds, although it depends upon the number of people who sign up.

Glad to see the interest in another map contest (the third btw).

Currently it is only me as chief judge so I need two other people to stand up and be judges. I'd prefer them to be people who at least placed in one of the last two contests. The reasons for this is twofold: one you know how difficult good maps are to make and two it gives a chance to someone else.

The only other requirement is that you are available often enough to actually vote on the maps.

So euio as much as I like seeing your awesome maps how'd you like to be a judge? (I seem to recall you placing well last time. :D)

-------------------------

Once we get the other two judges the three of us will determine how many contests, etc.

corourke

Donor
I'm also interested in participating.

Also we could just have a vote instead of judges, that might be easier?

I'm also interested in participating.

Also we could just have a vote instead of judges, that might be easier?

Do you think this is some kind of democracy around there?

Honestly. Open voting on the map contest. What's next? Thande not being blamed. :rolleyes:

:D

Seriously though I'm leaning to making the final round a vote open to all.

I happily offer to finish in last place.

:) At the least you can use it as a learning experience.

I wouldn't mind being a judge...

I'd enter the competition myself, but (a) my computer isn't fast enough to really deal with BAMs, (b) I suck at drawing freehand... :( But I can manage to knock up something if its on a smaller scale, like the UCS maps and (c) I only have paint, so I can't do the really cool efects that many other members can, like euio... :eek:. I'd use Paint.net if only my computer could actually use it as it is... (its about six years old, and hasn't been updated since I have no home internet connection...)

Philip

Donor
Excellent!

Now, we need a cool name...how about the Council of Twilight, to go alongside the FH map judges' Committee of Shadow?

How about 'The Council whose decisions will result in Thande being blamed no matter what the Council decides'? On second thought, maybe your idea is better.