Realistic (!) climate map of worlda w/ Africa and South America switched?

How would a realistic climate map of that map down here look like?
Please also consider stuff like winds, ocean currents, etc. to do the map as realistic as possible.

Thanks.
20170519.png

At a guess, you're getting deserts in the Amazon. The Arabia region may be more fertile, owing to the mountains at the end of that peninsula breaking incoming raincloud. I don't have any data on hypothetical rivers though. The Sahara is probably as problematic as ever, and the Guinea region is probably a bit more arid too.

In other news, an open-ocean Mediterranean sea means a stunted maritime culture due to fewer safe harbours. And human evolution generally is probably messed up too.

Well I can already say that the Polynesians be able to discover this alternate New World since Comoros would be apart of Polynesia. Madagascar would probably have a climate similar to that of New Zealand.

At a guess, you're getting deserts in the Amazon. The Arabia region may be more fertile, owing to the mountains at the end of that peninsula breaking incoming raincloud. I don't have any data on hypothetical rivers though. The Sahara is probably as problematic as ever, and the Guinea region is probably a bit more arid too.

In other news, an open-ocean Mediterranean sea means a stunted maritime culture due to fewer safe harbours. And human evolution generally is probably messed up too.
I disagree I think that in this case the Amazons wouldn't be a desert at all. I mean it could very well help create a bigger Cradle of Civilization consisting of Mesopotamia to Peru.

I disagree I think that in this case the Amazons wouldn't be a desert at all. I mean it could very well help create a bigger Cradle of Civilization consisting of Mesopotamia to Peru.

The problem is that this ATL Amazon is at a higher latitude than OTL, right in the middle of the Hadley Cell. As such, it will be dry, simply because of teh way climate works.

Conversely, this ATL Sahara will be quite a bit wetter than OTL, because it sits on the equator. Conversely, the Congo will likely be a desert (and the fertile southern tip will be quite a bit bigger; Namibia will almost certainly be potential farmland, not desert). This Sahara won't be as wet as the Amazon though, because it doesn't have a mountain range to break the raincloud.

How civilisation develops depends a huge amount on whether humanity evolves in the western continent-pair or in the "old world" region.

The problem is that this ATL Amazon is at a higher latitude than OTL, right in the middle of the Hadley Cell. As such, it will be dry, simply because of teh way climate works.

Conversely, this ATL Sahara will be quite a bit wetter than OTL, because it sits on the equator. Conversely, the Congo will likely be a desert (and the fertile southern tip will be quite a bit bigger; Namibia will almost certainly be potential farmland, not desert). This Sahara won't be as wet as the Amazon though, because it doesn't have a mountain range to break the raincloud.

How civilisation develops depends a huge amount on whether humanity evolves in the western continent-pair or in the "old world" region.
given all those rivers, though, the Amazon probably won't be an actual desert, though. grasslands, probably.

biggest problem is going to be the gulfstream since the gap between africa and south-america is much smaller.
a africa that isn't mirrored (and would stick out in the pacific) would likely have less effects on the gulfstream and the thermohaline circulation

Hmmm. Trading the relatively flat land of South Africa in its perfect sport for the mountains of Patagonia... Yah, I don't think crops will do as well there.

Because of the way the gulf stream could get affected, Northern Europe could be a hell of a lot colder. Like, Northern Canada levels. On the other hand, Southern Europe should be wetter, probably a warmer French coast. The Amazon's coast would also get the warm currents. Basically I'm thinking that the current will "bounce" off of "West" Africa, hit the Amazon, and get sent basically straight into Southern Iberia.

Red Orm

Banned
will the Andes be getting enough snow from the South Asian monsoonal system to support that same level of snowmelt?
The_Source_of_the_Amazon_River.jpg

Certainly not the same, but the rivers will still be their, permanently or seasonally. I agree that it would be grassland or temperate forest instead of rain forest.