Status
Not open for further replies.
Exept that a garish flag are not only shit-looking, but shit at standing out. If they were, you'd see them a lot more. But no, the vast majority of flags used in battle usually followed heraldric tincture because the contrast between metals (gold/yellow and silver/white) and other colours is much more pronounced and easy to distinguish and even if they didn't follow it by the letter, you would still have a good amount of white ot yellow to balance out the other colours.

but again, you miss the point. War at the time was fought by having people slowly marching toward their enemy, shoot then do a bit of hand to hand fighting. Having a VERY distinctive flag to remember where you were supposed to stay close to was important and so you ended up with flag that were very.... distinctive.

Point is: don't judge 18th century flags by 21st century standard.

can some one make a better/more simplified flag of my home city: Detroit?
current for reference:
1280px-Flag_of_Detroit.svg.png

it is extremely busy, lets not lie. so can someone make a better/simplified version? thanks

current for reference:
it is extremely busy, lets not lie. so can someone make a better/simplified version? thanks

Here's a version that keeps all the elements (except the seal), but in a more simplified way.

The bottom two quarters were flipped for retaining the blue-red quartering symmetry.

KfF7qwA.png

EDIT: Version 2 with a gold fleur-de-lis (@Marc Pasquin)

6YayWjh.png

Last edited:
current for reference:
1280px-Flag_of_Detroit.svg.png

Tbh, just removing the seal and making the leopards and stars symmetrical would do wonders.

Here's a version that keeps all the elements (except the seal), but in a more simplified way.

The bottom two quarters were flipped for retaining the blue-red quartering symmetry.

well made. One modification I would do would be for the fleur-de-lys to be gold instead of white. Although I assume you chose it to go with the white star, gold fleur-de-lys on white or blue field represent the french kingdom alluded here. A white fleur-de-lys on blue wasn't a symbol used by the king and might instead be taken to refer to quebec which in the context of this flag, wouldn't make sense.

A gold fleur-de-lys, in any case, would still preserve symmetry as you would have both quarter on the hoist using silver and both quarter on the fly using gold.

well made. One modification I would do would be for the fleur-de-lys to be gold instead of white. Although I assume you chose it to go with the white star, gold fleur-de-lys on white or blue field represent the french kingdom alluded here. A white fleur-de-lys on blue wasn't a symbol used by the king and might instead be taken to refer to quebec which in the context of this flag, wouldn't make sense.

A gold fleur-de-lys, in any case, would still preserve symmetry as you would have both quarter on the hoist using silver and both quarter on the fly using gold.

You are completely right and I actually tried the fleur-de-lis in gold at first. I just didn't like the way it looked.

But I get the idea that things have meanings and sometimes it's important to stick with those. I edited the original post with a version in gold as well.

Revised version, sorry if its still not up to par. I am pretty bad at flags...View attachment 322840

you're not bad. Contrast is just one of those things that is fairly important in flags.

One easy way to see if the design of your flag would be easily visible from a distance (the most important thing unless it is meant to be strictly decorative) is to upload an image to an online waver app like this:

https://krikienoid.github.io/flagwaver/

then take a step or 2 from you computer, look away and close your eyes for 5 seconds, reopened them then see if the pattern of the flag is easily discernible.

Often it helps seeing troublesome details you might not see when its flat and large on a screen.

I promised I'd bring some more flags from my Khan Victorious here when they were done, and that's a promise I plan to keep! :D Here's the latest set, featuring...

NbXQuAJ.png

...three versions of the Darwinist Movement's double helix symbol. Quoting the finished section for an explanation regarding the details and symbolism: "On the left is the imagery side of a small calling card for the organization often used to provide a time and a place for potential members to meetup with others or, just as commonly, as a threat, with the movement's main helical symbol on the left side of the card and the sun cross that is the astrological symbol for the Earth besides it, with the white on black colors symbolizing their movement illuminating the darkness. In the middle there is a banner confiscated from a police raid on a Darwinist safehouse following the murder of an retired veteran of the Augmentation War who had fought against the Alliance, a flag which had taken up the colors of the old United Nations and which represents the global form of the movement as a whole. On the right, a patch used by Darwinist militiamen that comprise the organization's military arm, a force comprised of ex-service members who had come under the movement's sway or simply those who are willing to fight for that which they believe in, featuring a smaller form of the helix beneath an eagle with its wings thrown forward, as if protecting itself from a strike."

We also have...

3f7lUd3.png

...two flags from the newly founded Solar League, an administrative organization intended to serve as a bridge between Earth and its colonies, with details from the part as follows: "Two flags of the Solar League, both created in the early years of its existence whilst the organization was still within its first two years of existence, with the left flag being that of the organization on the day of its founding, referring to its predecessor in the form of the League of Nations, carefully mimicking its pentagonal shape and layered stars, only with new meaning: each side of the pentagon referred to one of Earth's five continents whilst the black star represented the uncharted and uncontrolled nature of space and the white star humanity's expanding control. After a few years, however, this flag would be replaced by the one on the right, an original design that placed the astrological symbol of the Sun at its center, surrounded by nine stars, one for each of the planets and with a larger star for Earth as befitting its status as the homeworld of all mankind."

And just for fun, the official bumper sticker of the United Front from the US elections of 2036, a centrist coalition formed following the collapse of the Democrats and Republicans during the electoral trail. It's not really a flag, but I figure someone here might like the symbol on the left side, which was much harder to create than any of the flags above, that's for sure, simply because of how much a pain in the butt it was to position everything just right.

7ZThXsB.png

you're not bad. Contrast is just one of those things that is fairly important in flags.

One easy way to see if the design of your flag would be easily visible from a distance (the most important thing unless it is meant to be strictly decorative) is to upload an image to an online waver app like this:

https://krikienoid.github.io/flagwaver/

then take a step or 2 from you computer, look away and close your eyes for 5 seconds, reopened them then see if the pattern of the flag is easily discernible.

Often it helps seeing troublesome details you might not see when its flat and large on a screen.
Thanks for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.