Part 1: The Fall of the Hammer
Hey AH.com! This is my first attempt at a timeline, so I'm looking for feedback on pretty much everything.

Part 1: The Hammer Falls

On October 10, 732 a band of Arab and Berber raiders lead by Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi clashed with Frankish and Aquitanian troops in western Gaul. The veteran army of Charles Martel, Majordomo of Francia, initially held its ground despite being outnumbered. Repeated cavalry charges however broke the Frankish line, and Charles Martel met his end under the hooves of the Arabs' horses. With their leader dead, the Frankish army broke and retreated. The Aquitanian commander, Odo, managed to escape but would die of natural causes by the year's end.

(So, here's the PoD for the timeline. From what I can gather, it seems that Charles Martel came close to being killed by Umayyad troops during the Battle of Tours. So just changing a few sword swings and arrows alters the battle considerably. Now the fun begins...)

Martel's death had immediate consequences for the Franks. The unstable mass that had been Martel's dominion splintered quickly. In what is known as the Year of Four Rebellions, the Frankish kingdom experienced precisely that. In the north the Frisians, led by Poppo, declared their independence. In the south the Patrician of Provence, Maurontius, did the same. In the west the son of the late Duke Odo, Hunald, attempted to assert Aquitanian independence, while in the east Hugbert of Bavaria made plans to reclaim the territory he had lost to Martel in past decades.

At the same time, the Franks were threatened by outside forces and internal power struggles. Saxon, Avar and Arab raiders pillaged the countryside and pestered the cities, and a civil war was brewing between Pepin and Carloman, Martel's sons. The two young men were also at the center of plots by lesser nobles unhappy with the growing influence of the Pepinids, and on May 5, 733, Carloman died of mysterious circumstances.

The Franks however, did not exist in a vacuum. In the Iberian and Italian peninsulas, events were in motion that would forever change Europe...
Frankish Civil War.png

Coming up next: The conclusion of the Frankish Civil War and Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi's super happy fun adventure in Gaul!

Last edited:
May the Frisians and Saxons sacrifice many Arabs to Woden.

So far I like.

Thanks! I haven't figured out the final fate of the pagans yet, but without Charlemagne they are going to stay pagan for longer than in OTL. And I have plans for western Christianity that will make it very different from the Catholicism we know today.

Interesting start!

Who will be the new master of Gaul, I am really curious to see.

At the same time, I wonder who would be the new master of Italy. With the Franks out of the equation, nothing should stop the Lombards to unify the peninsula. But we'll see what you have in plan...

Hey AH.com! This is my first attempt at a timeline, so I'm looking for feedback on pretty much everything.
. Repeated heavy cavalry charges however broke the Frankish line, and Charles Martel met his end under the hooves of the Arabs' horses.
let's start that trrop of Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi did not have heavy cavalry

If you want to kill Martell - let him die during franks civil war after Pepin of Heristal death

Interesting start!

Who will be the new master of Gaul, I am really curious to see.

At the same time, I wonder who would be the new master of Italy. With the Franks out of the equation, nothing should stop the Lombards to unify the peninsula. But we'll see what you have in plan...

Byzantines might retake it?

let's start that trrop of Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi did not have heavy cavalry

If you want to kill Martell - let him die during franks civil war after Pepin of Heristal death

Hmm... is there any other way to kill him at Tours? Sorry for the mix up, finding details about the time period is annoyingly difficult.

Why? Doesn't have to be killed by heavy cavalry. A arrow hit, a lucky Arab assault, etc.
agree
medieval battle depends on a lot of chances.
But I think it is cheating :)

Of course lucky arrow hit might be - but in general obligation of any german warrior is to defence his lord and to die together with him

agree
medieval battle depends on a lot of chances.
But I think it is cheating :)

Harald Hardrada would be happy to know you agree his death was the result of hax XD

In seriousness, Martel dying in battle is not that much less likely than Rahman dying, which is what happened OTL. I think either an arrow or a spooked horse should work.

I have another attempt of frankish humiliation :)
Bulgars lose a battle with Konstantin V and go to Bavaria

In OTL it would be another forty years before the Bulgars took another strike at Byzantium, but butterflies can do crazy things. It leads to the question of what they call their temporary homeland that is OTL Bulgaria, since their original homeland was Old Great Bulgaria. Maybe Old Decent Bulgaria XD

I'll see what I can do with them though. Maybe they can force the Avars to move west. Plus they might leave the Danube open for the coming Magyars, or some other steppe people. Of course I'm not sure how much help a heavy cavalry army would be in Bavaria's mountains. Notably Bavaria seems to be the only part of Europe that didn't change much during the Migration Period.

Thanks! I haven't figured out the final fate of the pagans yet, but without Charlemagne they are going to stay pagan for longer than in OTL. And I have plans for western Christianity that will make it very different from the Catholicism we know today.
They can end anywhere, Pagan, a local variation of christianity is even more syncertist(that was an idea in other TL), maybe muslim later on, can end anywhere.

In OTL it would be another forty years before the Bulgars took another strike at Byzantium, but butterflies can do crazy things. It leads to the question of what they call their temporary homeland that is OTL Bulgaria, since their original homeland was Old Great Bulgaria. Maybe Old Decent Bulgaria XD

I'll see what I can do with them though. Maybe they can force the Avars to move west. Plus they might leave the Danube open for the coming Magyars, or some other steppe people. Of course I'm not sure how much help a heavy cavalry army would be in Bavaria's mountains. Notably Bavaria seems to be the only part of Europe that didn't change much during the Migration Period.

oops ... sorry, I meant Konstantin IV (battle of 680th year):)

In case of killed Martell - Carloman is 22 and Pipin is 18. And they are both good fighters
I think south (Provence, Aquitan) will be concuered by arabs - but sons of Martell keep control of Austrasia? Neustria and Thuringia and will fight for Frisia, Bavaria and Allemania. And Burgundia become no-man land as muslim-christian frontier.

I do not believe in death of Martell but I like such variant ^-)

oops ... sorry, I meant Konstantin IV (battle of 680th year):)

In case of killed Martell - Carloman is 22 and Pipin is 18. And they are both good fighters
I think south (Provence, Aquitan) will be concuered by arabs - but sons of Martell keep control of Austrasia? Neustria and Thuringia and will fight for Frisia, Bavaria and Allemania. And Burgundia become no-man land as muslim-christian frontier.

I do not believe in death of Martell but I like such variant ^-)

680 is before the PoD though. And although Pipin and Carloman are both of majority, they're embroiled in a civil war, some of the vassals want their position of Majordomo, Aquitaine, Provence and Frisia are rebelling and Avars, Arabs and Saxons are all attacking them. This is before Pepin was adopted by Luitbrand, so neither son has any ally to turn to (remember, the Bavarians want their land back).

In general, the Muslims didn't have heavy cavalry; they favoured light cavalry. In fact al-Ghafiqi's force had fairly light armour and clothing in general compared to the Frankish unit, which was dressed for cold weather and had infantrymen carrying heavy armour and weapons.

The rest isn't too far off. OTL the Franks held their ground even when the Arab-Berber cavalry broke into their square and took a whack at Martel. His liege-men bunched up around him and prevented him from being killed. That said, it's the exception, not the norm, for infantry to stand against medieval cavalry romping through their formation; if a couple of people's wills break, you could see Charles' entourage fold enough that someone gets through and puts a javelin through his face or something.

In general, the Muslims didn't have heavy cavalry; they favoured light cavalry. In fact al-Ghafiqi's force had fairly light armour and clothing in general compared to the Frankish unit, which was dressed for cold weather and had infantrymen carrying heavy armour and weapons.

The rest isn't too far off. OTL the Franks held their ground even when the Arab-Berber cavalry broke into their square and took a whack at Charles Martel. His liege-men bunched up around him and prevented him from being killed. That said, it's the exception, not the norm, for infantry to stand against medieval cavalry romping through their formation; if a couple of people's wills break, you could see Charles' entourage fold enough that someone gets through and puts a javelin through his face or something.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll rewrite the opening tonight based on this idea.