Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give Biden Texas and I feel this would be a realistic map.
I honestly don't see Texas going blue within the next 10 years, but that's just my opinion.
Nice map! One critique, though; this might be just a tad more realistic if the head Democratic ticket was replaced by somebody like Kirsten Gillibrand or Tammy Baldwin, TBH-I really do like Biden but he'd be 77 in 2020 and we're not sure if he'll actually live that long. I'd also add that any third party ticket would likely get quite a bit more than 3.8% of the vote.....
I know, but Biden is the strongest Democratic candidate according to a poll. I was actually going to make Kristi Gillibrand the VP candidate, but I figured the Dems should go for a Midwesterner after their losses in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

I recall a map that showed every county in the US that was less Democratic than the most Democratic state (Hawaii) or less Republican than the most Republican state (West Virginia) in 2016. can anyone post it again? ... because I can't seem to find it.

I honestly don't see Texas going blue within the next 10 years, but that's just my opinion.

I know, but Biden is the strongest Democratic candidate according to a poll. I was actually going to make Kristi Gillibrand the VP candidate, but I figured the Dems should go for a Midwesterner after their losses in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Trump won Texas by 8.99%, while he won Montana by over 20% and Missouri by 19%. if Biden wins Montana and Missouri, he will certainly win Texas too.

Trump won Texas by 8.99%, while he won Montana by over 20% and Missouri by 19%. if Biden wins Montana and Missouri, he will certainly win Texas too.
On the other hand, Montana has a Democratic governor and senator, and Missouri had the same until recently. Those states have shown their willingness to support statewide Democratic candidates in a way Texas really hasn't.

0zQhOAw.png

Parliamentary-style election map for a timeline in which American rebels and the British crown are able to come to a compromise on American independence in the early 19th century, bringing the U.S. to adopt a U.K.-esque representational govt. (Canada Style).
Is this going to be an actual timeline or a one off thing? I love parliamentary America timelines!

Nice map! One critique, though; this might be just a tad more realistic if the head Democratic ticket was replaced by somebody like Kirsten Gillibrand or Tammy Baldwin, TBH-I really do like Biden but he'd be 77 in 2020 and we're not sure if he'll actually live that long. I'd also add that any third party ticket would likely get quite a bit more than 3.8% of the vote.....

People are living a lot longer these days and there is a connection between living longer and having money. Biden has the money and is pretty healthy.

You mean the district shape? Those are just the normal congressional districts.

Ain't nothing normal about them. They're drawn by state legislators, usually either to support the incumbent party balance or to support whichever party controls the legislature. Without the exact circumstances of the OTL party system, they'd be completely different.

Ain't nothing normal about them. They're drawn by state legislators, usually either to support the incumbent party balance or to support whichever party controls the legislature. Without the exact circumstances of the OTL party system, they'd be completely different.

I say normal in the sense that they are the real life districts. I'd agree that they wouldn't be the same for the scenario and would probably need different constituencies, but still it's not my map it's not mine to take issue with.

You mean the district shape? Those are just the normal congressional districts.

I say normal in the sense that they are the real life districts. I'd agree that they wouldn't be the same for the scenario and would probably need different constituencies, but still it's not my map it's not mine to take issue with.

I just used normal congressional districts. This map assumes that each is non-gerrymandered (to an extent) and that an equal number of people live in each.

Interesting. What are the parties like, and can you give us the names of their leaders and important MPs?
Labor- Similar to its U.K. counterpart, but slightly more to the center than the aforementioned version. MPs mainly include OTL's progressive Democrats like Sanders, etc.
Conservatives- Essentially more moderate Republicans. Those on the far-right tend to gravitate towards nationalist/fundamentalist parties.
Federalist- Like the LibDems in the U.K. Slightly to the right of Labor. MPs include more conservative or centrist OTL Democrats.

genusmap.php

Under Biden's administration, the US began to recover from the Second Korean War and the Recession of '17. Biden is undoubtably one of the most popular presidents. His approval rating is above 60%. However, he chose not to run in 2024 due to his age (and he died two years later). Vice President Kander managed to win in a landslide. This election is usually where historians say the Republican Party died. In fact, Senators Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, Austin Petersen, and Ben Sasse had left the Republican Party before 2020, mentioning racism, sexism, and Russiagate as concerns they had with the party. Evan McMullin and Greg Orman were elected to the Senate, giving the Independents at least 10 seats.

VP Jason Kander (D-MO)/State Sen. Wendy Davis (D-TX) - 443 EV, 48.9%
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL)/Gov. Nikki Haley (R-SC) - 95 EV, 39.2%
Rapper Kanye West (I-CA)/Comedian Chris Rock (I-NJ) - 0 EV, 9.7%

I just used normal congressional districts. This map assumes that each is non-gerrymandered (to an extent) and that an equal number of people live in each.

All congressional districts IOTL are mandated to have the same amount of people in them as the others in that state. The problem with your map is that unless you recalculated the state populations for your ATL states (VA+WV, WI+parts of MN, MS+parts of LA) you'll have some really malapportioned districts.

Also, a lot of the OTL state maps are horribly gerrymandered. Illinois and Maryland are Democratic gerrymanders while the GOP drew some masterful gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina that are a large part of why the Democrats face an uphill struggle IOTL to win back the House of Representatives.

0zQhOAw.png

Parliamentary-style election map for a timeline in which American rebels and the British crown are able to come to a compromise on American independence in the early 19th century, bringing the U.S. to adopt a U.K.-esque representational govt. (Canada Style).
What are the Federalists' beliefs?

On the other hand, Montana has a Democratic governor and senator, and Missouri had the same until recently. Those states have shown their willingness to support statewide Democratic candidates in a way Texas really hasn't.

Comparing Democratic Victories in the Last 5 Presidential and Gubernatorial Elections in each state:

GP.png

Many states where Democrats have done well locally are Republican strongholds nationally (Montana, Kentucky, West Virginia), and vice versa (New Jersey, Massachusetts, Minnesota).

All congressional districts IOTL are mandated to have the same amount of people in them as the others in that state. The problem with your map is that unless you recalculated the state populations for your ATL states (VA+WV, WI+parts of MN, MS+parts of LA) you'll have some really malapportioned districts.

Also, a lot of the OTL state maps are horribly gerrymandered. Illinois and Maryland are Democratic gerrymanders while the GOP drew some masterful gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania and North Carolina that are a large part of why the Democrats face an uphill struggle IOTL to win back the House of Representatives.
I realize this. I just felt that re-drawing districts to ensure equal population distribution would be too much of a pain, so for purposes of the TL, we could say that these districts have also been gerrymandered if it makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.