Status
Not open for further replies.
You're Welsh is mostly right but it's Prydain not Prydein and Cymry with two y's is the Welsh people while Cymru wth a u is the country :)

Prydein is the Middle Welsh spelling, so I went with it. I'll change Cymry though, I think the map I was looking at was labeling cultures rather than countries

Considering at the time of the POD Middle Welsh had awholenother spelling you could claim it to be correct ATLwise ;)

Other than Cymru, I think that'll be the excuse :p

Been awhile since I last posted in here, but that was because I had nothing to contribute, which has now changed! :D I've got three flags from the upcoming Part 2 of my Star Trek story, Khan Victorious, ranging from the delightfully simple to the more complex and intricate.

First off the flag of the MPR, or the Mercurian Precinctual Republic - the first ever independent colony in the solar system:

mnwhG2G.png

Although the colony is built in the forever enshadowed polar region and deep underground, the flag depicts a Mercurian sunrise, with the symbol of the ancient god placed above, symbolizing the colony's triumph over the Sun itself.

Next, we have the flag of the VCC, or the Vestal Colony Commune:

yr5NFGZ.png

A colony that shook off the shackles of its corporate founders, the VCC is still a loyal subjects of Earth even if the organization of which the colony is operated may have changed dramatically. A worker's cooperative founded on the principles that all must work together if any are to survive, the colony makes its living off of nickel, both mining and smelting. Taking the classic symbolic colors of the old communist movements and nations of the twentieth century, the VCC is part of a new generation of communist entities and has forgone the hammer and sickle in the favor of the cog, the symbol of its strong industry, and the astrological symbol of Vesta itself - an alter and the flame that burns atop it. Beneath the symbol are three stars, duplicated from the banner of the Transatlantic Organization, the superstate of which the VCC is a part, but with the added meaning of also memorializing the three miners who were shot by private security contractors attempting to break up the strike that would lead to the Vesta colony's revolt.

And lastly, we have the banner of the King's Men, an organization dedicated to the beliefs and ideals of King Arthur, returned from the dead:

9zliubX.png

Though many dismiss the organization as little more than a cult led by a delusional madman, the King's Men genuinely believe that he is who he says he is based off his wealth of knowledge of early Britain and due to his immense charismatic and oratorical abilities, agreeing with the different view of history that he has brought forth in his book the The True Tales of Camelot. Madman or no, the King's Men are devoutly loyal to their beloved leader, and so use the sigil that he describes as being that of his kingdom - a golden lion on blue - as their symbol in the modern age and as a means of identifying their fellows, as well as out of pride for being fortunate enough to be part of his organization.

More information, and probably flags, will be in the part when it is done, but I'll post the flags here separately if there are any curious enough to want to see them! :D

Cross post from the Challenge
Region of Ouessaise
Oessaise is the westernmost Region of France and is composed of 4 departments. There are 2 minority languages - Ouessis in the west and Gallon French in the east.
The area was originally inhabited by Latinised Armoricans before being settled in the 600s by West Saxons from southern Albion. These settlers formed the Kingdom of Wessex that strongly resisted Frankish expansion and the later Viking incursions.
In the later Carolingian period the area formed the Duchy of Ouessaise under the House of Oister (also called Oicester after their principal city) before coming under the control of King Stephan II of Kent, Duke of Flanders.
The regional flag is based on symbols from the the arms of the cadet Kent-Flanders dynasty that ruled Ouessaise and Normandy before going extinct in the male line in the 1500s - the arms being a quartering of the 2 white saxon swords on red (Oister) with golden sun on blue and red label (cadet Flanders).
The flag features a divided red and blue field with white saxon swords each side of a golden rayed sun.
ouessaise-png.318431

flag_of_the_vasconia__canberra_euzkadi_errepublika_by_gottfreyundroy-db6lzd0.png

Flag of the Vasconic Republic- Banderra Euzkadi Errepublika

A "Late" Vasconization: A Heterdox New Model of Vasconic Population Dynamics

...archaeological records demonstrate beyond a doubt that the Vasconic peoples did not inhabit any wider range than the valleys of the Pyrenees and adjacent land prior to the fall of the Roman Republic, and further after the fall of the Roman Empire. Like the Magyars, the Persians, or the Mongols, the Vascones swept out of their isolated highlands, conquering fertile lowlands of the Iberian peninsula...

...it would be the immediate consequence of the fall of Rome that the first Vasconic duchies would arise...

The rise of the Visigoths and the Franks would be a major setback for the early Vasconic fiefs. Their holdings along the plains of Aquintaine, close to the Visigothic heartland, were quickly overwhelmed and subsumed. South of the Pyrenees, however, was another story. A more extensive Basque settlement posed a greater challenge for the invaders, allowing the Vascones to maintain their nation even into the Ebro valley.

Vasconic history would be a string of conflicts with the Frankish and Visigothic Kingdoms, but the Vascones managed not only to survive, but to thrive, pushing into Cantabri, and establish rule over most of Aquintaine. With a stronger population base, the Vascones made stronger efforts towards maintaining their languages.

When the Visigoths fell the Vascones would press even further into their former territory, running up against the newly triumphant Arab invaders of the peninsula. Soon enough the Vascones would be, alongside the Asturians, one of the only independent nations on the Iberian peninsula. The first repulsion of the Arabs by Odo the Great in 714 is usually regarded as the beginning of the "Errekonkistaren", or "Reconquest" of the Iberian peninsula.

A dynastic union would see the Vascones united with the Asturians, and when the Vascones would lose much of their holdings north of the Pyrenees to the Carolignians, Vasconia was respun as the "Kingdom of Navarre", taken from the Vascone word for their holdings south of the Pyrenees. Slowly, the Vascones advanced against the Arabs over the centuries, with the Emirate of Andalusia being annexed peacefully in 1355, leaving the Vascones in total control over the Iberian peninsula.

The Ibairienne Empire was one of the Great Powers of Europe, often meddling in the affairs of the French and the Germans, contesting the ethnically Vasconic lands of Aquintaine with the French kingdoms. The Vascones coquered and converted Northern Morrocco, and soon, Vascone pilots were sailing down the coast of Africa, eventually reaching and establishing trade stations in Calicut. Ibairia would discover North and South Bacalhau (named for a Hisapniophone word for Codfish), Hegoldia (taken from the Basque word for south), and even Antartikako.

Ibairia would conquer much of the new world and dominate trade routes, before ultimately being taken down by an alliance of the English, the French and the Germans. A series of colonial revolutions lost them most of their new world holdings, reducing it to Iberia and Aquintaine.

Recently, the monarchy was overthrown by a coalition of radical Vasconic republicans and nationalists, who are impressing their tongue and culture on the minority of French and Hispaniophone speakers. They've raised a new flag, replacing traditional heraldic imagery with fasces, liberty-caps, the traditional six-spoked Vascone wheel and, most prominently, the Lauburu, a traditional symbol of the Basque people and the Askatasuna party that dominates the new Republic.

Knowing that their language is unlike any other in Europe, and possibly the world, the Askatasuna Party espouses all sorts of strange ethnic theories, about how mankind originated in Vasconia, or the ancient Vasconic Soultrean culture settled the Americas, or how the Vascones once lived in all of Western Europe and the entire Mediterranean prior to the expansion of the Aryan-Europeans. There have even been calls to bring this last vision back into reality.

Today, Vasconic is spoken by over 500 million people across the world.

EDIT: Fixed compression issues

Last edited:
nordic_chinese_flag_by_spiritswriter123-db5bx6m.png

Because apparently taking flags and Nordifying them is the current trend in the flag-making community. So I took the Chinese 5-colored flag and rolled with that. Personally I thought it turned out pretty well for what it is.

China's 5 Races flag really is one of my favorite flags, kind of disappointed it didn't last considering how nice looking it is.
upload_2017-4-22_23-33-55.png

I remember posting this to r/vexillology some time ago and your post made me consider posting it here as well. I feel like the PRC would have used this flag if they did the same thing East Germany did with their flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.