Planetocopia Map Thread

VODA.png

Making pixel-style map... but still so hard. Wonder how everyone can make maps so easily.
By the way, I finally made name of this planet; Voda, which means water in Russian and sounds like "Bada"(meaning sea in Korean).

We still have to worry a bit about the impact of ice and water; Chad is definitely a lake here, draining into the Congo (I think), while the North American Great Lakes, Hudson Bay, may not even exist. I think we'd get Chinese Great Lakes running off the Himalayas, in Szechuan and the Tarim Basin, a few other things.
I think lake chad would become endohendric basin or drain into benue river in nigeria (depending on its precipitation), and Great lakes would disappear(at least become much shallower than OTL), but Hudson bay would still exist.(much smaller, similar with OTL hudson bay) New Great Lakes might appear in China, Africa, Mexico, etc, if there's any glacial period. Though there's much highlands like Tibet, Iran, Great Rift, Mexico, Altiplano that will develop glacier, tropical ring current can stabilize its climate.(I don't know much about deepsea current that will affect climate significantly)

I have a question of my own tho: What about Iran in Seapole? Where would some of it's endorheic basins drain? The thing is generally confusing to determine due to mountains. I think most of them would find a way into the Caspian
Cas_Iran.png

refer here: https://ahstat.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/watering-earth/

@eustress

What I did to speed things up was draw the coastlines on the map like you have, but I then used the magic wand tool in paint.net to grab the coastline (you could also use layers from similar programs if that works easier for you) and then pasted it elsewhere where I could fill in the land and ocean colours & add detail to the map as necessary. So far so good with that map, nice work!

Making pixel-style map... but still so hard. Wonder how everyone can make maps so easily.
And so fast!! I imagine it's like a much easier version of giving birth- you grit your teeth and PUSH!!!!

...Sorry.

No more progress on Lyr yet, if anyone doesn't have any big projects to do could they help?

Good news everyone! GProjector now accepts a variety of inputs, including Winkel Tripel, which is what Wayan uses for Planetocopia. I gave it a shot, and this is what I go for Shiveria.

As you can see, it could use some tweaking with the edges, but this saves this project a lot of work.

SzyuOVx.png

Vuru

Banned
I'd think Seapole needs a rework

Chris did it waay too long ago, and severely overestimated the sea level rise

Chris Wayans updated on April 5. The Hawaiian Sea has finally been covered making Abyssia 90% complete. Says he's still working on Arctica.

Just wanted to mention that my own calculations from several years ago (back when I still had Google Earth) say that the Turgay Channel (where appropriate) might not have actually existed - its lowest point is 122 meters!
OTOH, Volga-Baltic is 113 meters - much lower. And IIRC there are places where even the 105 meter lines come fairly close to each other. As I recall, near Kirillov, a single hill ridge, maybe five miles across, will divide one basin from another - if that won't make a trading town nothing will! (Though on Dubia, the old Volga-Baltic canal will just be re-dug as the sea levels rise to when it's an actual sea canal - or perhaps, to an extent, maintained all the way. But Kirillov will still be nearby.)

It's a perfectly reasonable mistake though; I've seen a giant basemap with something like 130 meter rise. At this scale, Turgay was a huge strip - hard to miss. Volga-Baltic was one pixel wide. That hill ridge I mentioned? Easily 40-50 meters higher.

upload_2017-4-15_19-19-5.png

in retrospect, i might have overestimated how easy this would be

if you have any suggestions of words of advice or questions or whatever don't hesitate to throw them out there!

upload_2017-4-15_21-23-14.png

ok great so

checklist

land/ocean (✓ yeah pretty much)

ice, atolls, shallow waters (yeah sure shouldn't be hard)

hills and mountains (huh?)

forest coverage, jungles, plains (i'm. uh. well i'll figure out how to do that as i go along>)

rivers (a plaintive sigh, opens google maps in the next tab over)

I don't think I need to do resources? insofar as those are randomly generated?

Vuru

Banned
Just wanted to mention that my own calculations from several years ago (back when I still had Google Earth) say that the Turgay Channel (where appropriate) might not have actually existed - its lowest point is 122 meters!
OTOH, Volga-Baltic is 113 meters - much lower. And IIRC there are places where even the 105 meter lines come fairly close to each other. As I recall, near Kirillov, a single hill ridge, maybe five miles across, will divide one basin from another - if that won't make a trading town nothing will! (Though on Dubia, the old Volga-Baltic canal will just be re-dug as the sea levels rise to when it's an actual sea canal - or perhaps, to an extent, maintained all the way. But Kirillov will still be nearby.)

It's a perfectly reasonable mistake though; I've seen a giant basemap with something like 130 meter rise. At this scale, Turgay was a huge strip - hard to miss. Volga-Baltic was one pixel wide. That hill ridge I mentioned? Easily 40-50 meters higher.

That's what i'm saying

Dude VASTLY overestimated the rise

Of course, there's sea erosion digging one, but the real land between would be too wide with accurate sea level for that. On the other hand, the Eyre bay would be cut off at first, but the isthmus would be narrow, so the sea would erode it away eventually and flood the basin

upload_2017-4-16_0-55-23.png

okay europe west-of-russia and india both are pretty much done

temperate forest pretty clearly maps to grasslands + forest, jungle to jungle + grasslands. i'm having a harder time figuring out how to do subtropical areas, though

eurasia and north america both have fairly good hills and mountains. i gave africa a go but i'm not that happy with the results. ideally i'd probably put the save file up and let other people try their hand at it. (if you're interested in playing with the map or making your own suggestions, just ask!)

i've added natural wonders, based half and half off of a 'good fit' (see, great barrier reef in ross sea) and just placing them where they are otl (see, gibraltar)

kinda went crazy on atolls. should be fairly clear that i'm not thinking that much about game balance aha. i dont really have the experience to guess at much there.

if anyones hankering for source material. link here to the original page on jaredia by chris wayan. link here to the biome map i did a while back

upload_2017-4-16_16-58-47.png

Alright! The map is finished. I'm kind of stuck though - I'd prefer to generate the resources in rather than place them manually, but I'm not sure how to actually do that. Advice would be appreciated!

EDIT: oh

upload_2017-4-16_17-5-34.png

OK, looks like it's actually finished all around then. Great! I'll see if I can't put this on the steam workshop. That said, if you want to randomise the ancient ruin/resource locations you'll probably need to open up the map in worldbuilder. Downloading it only takes a few minutes, so that should be easy.

Holy crap, I actually finished it.

Nice!

Well, yeah, feel free to post feedback!

Last edited: