Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realise that basically everything west of Vienna IOTL is thickly-forested mountains, yes?
To my knowledge west of Vienna lies the farmland of Lower Austria. Upper and Lower Austria are pretty much a several hundred kilometer long fertile river valley with mountains to the south and north.

You do realise that basically everything west of Vienna IOTL is thickly-forested mountains, yes?
Yes, I do.
But if you'd had taken a bit more time to read, you'd see that the POD is 1850.
The districts located in these mountains have an average density of less than a suburb.
Mountainous suburbs aren't that uncommon you know... *points at San Fransisco and Tokyo*

To my knowledge west of Vienna lies the farmland of Lower Austria. Upper and Lower Austria are pretty much a several hundred kilometer long fertile river valley with mountains to the south and north.

You'd be wrong.

Region.jpg

He's a bit right. Yes, there is a mountainous region in the northwest (districts ~30-40), but it's not that extreme and are noted as "suburb density" since most of this region is at the outskirts.
The districts in my map also are a bit larger than their OTL equivalents especially the ones that are outside OTL modern Vienna's borders, so they might also comprise of a southeast part being highly populated, and a northwestern less-than-suburb area.

Hapsburg

Banned
A little preview for my next instalment. The Milky Way, "top" inverted view, circa 2385. Without giving too much away, humanity has split into two interstellar nations vying for valuable habitable worlds in the local spurs of the Orion, Perseus, and Sagittarius Arms.

Galaxy Map 2385.png

Yes, I do.
But if you'd had taken a bit more time to read, you'd see that the POD is 1850.
The districts located in these mountains have an average density of less than a suburb.
Mountainous suburbs aren't that uncommon you know... *points at San Fransisco and Tokyo*

I nonetheless find it hugely unlikely they'd expand in that direction and yet leave Schwechat and the areas around it just like they are. Yes, the airport is in Schwechat, but it barely touches on the eastern edge of the town and there are huge tracts of flat land throughout the rest of its area.

I nonetheless find it hugely unlikely they'd expand in that direction and yet leave Schwechat and the areas around it just like they are. Yes, the airport is in Schwechat, but it barely touches on the eastern edge of the town and there are huge tracts of flat land throughout the rest of its area.
Schwechat is part of my Vienna.
It's district 23, and is entirely surrounded by other Viennese Districts so it's not a border district.
Also, still the POD is in 1850. The Danube wasn't even straight at that point so many things can happen.
West Vienna could easily become a mountain view/Hollywood style suburb. Also, most west Viennese districts on the map expand into plain areas.

Schwechat is part of my Vienna.
It's district 23, and is entirely surrounded by other Viennese Districts so it's not a border district.
Also, still the POD is in 1850. The Danube wasn't even straight at that point so many things can happen.
West Vienna could easily become a mountain view/Hollywood style suburb. Also, most west Viennese districts on the map expand into plain areas.

Yes, you do have Schwechat as part of the city, but it's the second least densely populated district. What I'm asking is this: if Schwechat and the other areas east and south of the city are right there and not particularly heavily settled (as they clearly aren't on your map), why would anyone in their right mind choose to build new suburbs in the Wienerwald instead of there? It's more expensive, it's harder to get houses built, communications are going to be poorer no matter what you do, and to top it off the Wienerwald would probably have stricter planning restrictions precisely because of the fact that it's a green area so close to the city, with all the intrinsic value that gives it.

Your early PoD doesn't really matter much honestly, unless the Wienerwald is literally flattened or humanity has developed some way of building houses at a 45-degree angle to gravity these issues are still going to be there.

San Francisco and Tokyo are unusual cases - SF quite literally doesn't have any space anywhere else, so they're forced to build uphill. And as for the Hollywood Hills comparison, allow me to present a density map of LA:

LA-Pop-Density.jpg

You'll notice the Hollywood Hills rather stand out there, as do other hilly areas like Palos Verdes and the Verdugos - yes, you can build a few houses in hills, no, you can't build anywhere near the same density as you can elsewhere.

Yes, you do have Schwechat as part of the city, but it's the second least densely populated district. What I'm asking is this: if Schwechat and the other areas east and south of the city are right there and not particularly heavily settled (as they clearly aren't on your map), why would anyone in their right mind choose to build new suburbs in the Wienerwald instead of there? It's more expensive, it's harder to get houses built, communications are going to be poorer no matter what you do, and to top it off the Wienerwald would probably have stricter planning restrictions precisely because of the fact that it's a green area so close to the city, with all the intrinsic value that gives it.
Easy: schwechat airport isn't just a regional-international airport, it's the largest in Europe and maybe even in the world. A large part of schwechat is Airplane area and not a populated area.
As for the other southeast districts you can clearly see that they have a similar density to what Wienerwald has.
Wienerwald districts have the main part of their population in the slim Valleys. And for that you can use commie style Bloc houses. Western Vienna also has a reason for being this over averagely populated because of the fact that most roads go through there. Every german wanting to enter Vienna more or less has to go through there unless he uses the Prague-Brünn Route.
Southeast Vienna is just less populated, say, like a normal suburb.

Also, I kinda imitated the situation from my own hometown.
Berlin has a lot of U inhabitated area in the west and in the southeast, and these areas are filled with Forests, Mountains and Water. However, the district itself roughly finds itself in a density of over suburb level because there are sub centers such as Karlshorst, Köpenick, Spandau, Friedrichshagen or Wannsee which increase the number to over 2500 people/km^2.
The density of the suburbs of the southeast are similar to the density of the suburb Im living in (quite hilly), whereasof most of the orange (6000-8000 I think) parts are in the area the subdistrict of hellersdorf equals to, which is filled with Soviet Blocs. Of course, Vienna would have more stylistic houses than that but I mean the way of cityplanning with the "only Soviet blocs".

I know my position very well because I always do my research before/while I create a timeline.
Especially when it comes to something like the center city of my currently greatest Timeline, Nightrise.

This is a preview of a world-building project I have been working on. I have come up with ideas for it, etc. for over a year now, but now I am really starting to work on it seriously. The main island it revolves around is shown below. There is a lot more done than this, but this is just the first preview. It also may not be the finished project, as more changes might arise.
pikor.png

This is a preview of a world-building project I have been working on. I have come up with ideas for it, etc. for over a year now, but now I am really starting to work on it seriously. The main island it revolves around is shown below. There is a lot more done than this, but this is just the first preview. It also may not be the finished project, as more changes might arise.
View attachment 313713
Those rivers in the east might need tweaking, rivers dont split up on their way to the ocean, they usually combine.

I've finally finished my cover of Bonaparte-4. Sort of. The map itself is completely finished, but I would like recommendations for points of interest. So basically, just ask about whatever you want to know.
Bonaparte-4.png

Any other feedback is appreciated, as always. Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
I've finally finished my cover of Bonaparte-4. Sort of. The map itself is completely finished, but I would like recommendations for points of interest. So basically, just ask about whatever you want to know.
View attachment 313715

Nice job. A few recommendations for points of interest
1. The rebellions in *Sonara* and Northern India
2. The Independent Crimea
3. Israel (or Palestine?)
4. That failed state-looking Iran
5. The British ally/protectorate in California
6. Japan's Siberian territories
7. Why Siam is the UK-in-exiles largest directly administered territory.
8. Those *Boer* states in southern africa
9. And last but not least, the situation in australia

I'm not extremely interested in anything else, but It all looks well made!

Neat dude!

1. The Orthodox (or, perhaps Islamic run) Ottoman puppets in the Balkans
2. Neutral Georgia
3. The Zhuang state (British backed?)
4. Danish Burma
5. Ottoman Libya
6. French England/7. Scotland/8. Ireland
9. Whatever is going on in Brazilian Ceylon
10. French Uganda
11. French Greater Haiti
12. French New Orleans
13. French Falklands
14. Danish Svalbard

Deleted member 97083

French Egypt and how it developed economically, as well as how Egyptology differed.

It's a bit contrived. American diaspora means either America becomes a dystopia, which has been done, or people have to leave the area. People survived on the Eastern Seaboard, but conditions were not suitable for growth, they lost as many people to emigration as they gained with low birth-rates and low immigration rates. With the advent of the Ice Age, international efforts were to cultivate new cropland in the equatorial regions, to scrub salt from new land and establish new hydraulic infrastructure, not to reclaim cropland buried in the New Tundra.

A map showing the extent of the ashfall (as in which areas right after the eruption were no longer habitable due to ash, regardless of climate) would be useful.

I do apologize for my continued nitpicking: it's my OCD at work, probably. Mostly this is pure gold.

It's impossible to tell if Alkazar is a benevolent despot, or a figurehead for a reasonable set of oligarchs who listen to the democratic responses in Akdeniz. If he's one person, then he's well over a hundred by now.

Reputed to be last known photo, source disputed.

Alcazar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.