Explain the AH Quote

Deleted member 97083

Similar to the AH Cultural descriptions thread.

The first person posts an alternate-history quote.

The next person explains how that quote came into being. Then they post their own quote.

And so on.

I'll start:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, and I will train them into the most formidable army the world has ever seen."
- President Bonaparte

Similar to the AH Cultural descriptions thread.

The first person posts an alternate-history quote.

The next person explains how that quote came into being. Then they post their own quote.

And so on.

I'll start:

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, and I will train them into the most formidable army the world has ever seen."
- President Bonaparte

President Bonaparte's speech on how he would gather men to defend the Republic from the advancing German Armies in 1915.

"Where some states have an army, Sweden is an army with an Nation" - Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.

Deleted member 97083

President Bonaparte's speech on how he would gather men to defend the Republic from the advancing German Armies in 1915.

"Where some states have an army, Sweden is an army with an Nation" - Archduke Ferdinand of Austria.
Ferdinand of Austria's comment on the Swedish Revolution during the Great War. Sweden went from a nonexistent country, a Russian province settled by Baltic German nobility, to a powerful republic with 1 million men in the army, 1/8 of its population.

"Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. God Bless the Soviet Union."
- President Richard Nixon

"Geography has made us neighbors. History has made us friends. Economics has made us partners, and necessity has made us allies. God Bless the Soviet Union."
- President Richard Nixon

Nixon's 1971 controversial speech marking the thirtieth anniversary of the United States' formal alliance with the Soviets against British and German aggression in the 1940s.

"Running is a Tudor's best attribute, second only to their frequent habit of fucking their betters." -Richard III, King of England

Nixon's 1971 controversial speech marking the thirtieth anniversary of the United States' formal alliance with the Soviets against British and German aggression in the 1940s.

"Running is a Tudor's best attribute, second only to their frequent habit of fucking their betters." -Richard III, King of England

Richard the III after loosing a bet to Henry Tudor, who was suspected of cheating.

"They can't hit a elephant from that distance." Last words of Louis XIV.

Richard the III after loosing a bet to Henry Tudor, who was suspected of cheating.

"They can't hit a elephant from that distance." Last words of Louis XIV.

Stated by Louis XIV at the Battle of Nice during the Great Protestant Revolt that occurred when he attempted to revoke the Edict of Nantes.

"My one regret is that I only have one life to give for the Revolution." Helen Keller

Stated by Louis XIV at the Battle of Nice during the Great Protestant Revolt that occurred when he attempted to revoke the Edict of Nantes.

"My one regret is that I only have one life to give for the Revolution." Helen Keller

Famous quote by actress Helen Keller in the movie "Red as Blood", which documented the failed Communist revolts in the Middle East against the British Empire. The film has become controversial due to accusations of whitewashing by making the role of Elizabeth Somerset, a British Communist who joined the rebels, much larger than it was historically.

"Well, well, well, I believe we've reached an impasse. These negotiations are over. The army moves into Köln tomorrow."

Famous quote by actress Helen Keller in the movie "Red as Blood", which documented the failed Communist revolts in the Middle East against the British Empire. The film has become controversial due to accusations of whitewashing by making the role of Elizabeth Somerset, a British Communist who joined the rebels, much larger than it was historically.

"Well, well, well, I believe we've reached an impasse. These negotiations are over. The army moves into Köln tomorrow."
The famous lines of President jean napoleon of orleans speaking to konig Wilhelm IIof Prussia after leaving the negotiators of grand netherlands during the second luxemborgian wars.

"The states of Cuba and Puerto Rico, nice ring to it, tell your children as I didn't think it was possible that we could have such stupid politicians like Blaine"
-Mark twain

Deleted member 97083

The famous lines of President jean napoleon of orleans speaking to konig Wilhelm IIof Prussia after leaving the negotiators of grand netherlands during the second luxemborgian wars.

"The states of Cuba and Puerto Rico, nice ring to it, tell your children as I didn't think it was possible that we could have such stupid politicians like Blaine"
-Mark twain
Written by Mark Twain about President Bruce Blaine's controversial invasion of the Spanish colonies of Cuba and Puerto Rico. Though ultimately an American victory, the Spanish-American War was extremely bloody and protracted, and led to anti-militarist sentiments for the next several decades.

"A spectre is haunting the Roman Empire -- the spectre of communism. All the powers of Mare Nostrum have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Patriarchs, Caesar-augustus and Basileus, Magister militum and Superstrategoi."
- Maximilianos Guderikos Theophobos

Written by Mark Twain about President Bruce Blaine's controversial invasion of the Spanish colonies of Cuba and Puerto Rico. Though ultimately an American victory, the Spanish-American War was extremely bloody and protracted, and led to anti-militarist sentiments for the next several decades.

"A spectre is haunting the Roman Empire -- the spectre of communism. All the powers of Mare Nostrum have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Patriarchs, Caesar-augustus and Basileus, Magister militum and Superstrategoi."
The speech of M.G Theophobos at his greatest hour in 1237AD just before the Battle of the Three Emperors in which the forces of both Roman empires went on to crush the Communist red armies of the Grand Arabian Caliph. The basis on which Theophobos goes on to propel himself into the post of emperor 17 years later.

"Shall it be said that our fathers and grandfathers came to this hostile land unaided and thrived without help, yet we flounder and shame their legacies. Shall it be said that in the face of honour and duty, we exposed our bellies to the enemies when we should have been stabbing theirs? Let it not be that we end up but footnotes in history. Let it be so that in the face of this threat we dominated and destroyed, so that our own children shall look up to us in admiration and pride. For our kingdom, our people and our glory." - King Alasandar Knight, King of Jerusalem, just before the 3rd Battle of Montgisard.

Last edited:

A letter from Maximilianos Theophobos to the Ephesians urging them to reject the cult of the Second Coming and the civil unrest it was sponsoring. Originally the cult was focused on bringing about the second coming of Christ through the abandonment of property and the promotion of a communal living style. Seen as a new branch of monastic order it received tacit support from various Roman governors throughout Asia Minor who liked it's orderly message, however the sighting of a comet set off a wave of religious fervor and saw the group's membership expand exponentially. Quickly spiraling out hand and distorting the group's original monastic message, farms and villages were abandoned by peasants believing the end of the world was imminent.

(Curses! Beaten to it.)

A quote from the famous Steampunk series "Imperium" by the Italian Emilio Salgari. I think is from the latest Book "Fractus", and it's part of the speech of Senator Maximilianos to the Loyal Legions.

"After all of this, do you still believe that there is a God?" Alexander Williams.

Edit: Damn I was ninja'd do I eliminate the post or do we go with two?.

A letter from Maximilianos Theophobos to the Ephesians urging them to reject the cult of the Second Coming and the civil unrest it was sponsoring. Originally the cult was focused on bringing about the second coming of Christ through the abandonment of property and the promotion of a communal living style. Seen as a new branch of monastic order it received tacit support from various Roman governors throughout Asia Minor who liked it's orderly message, however the sighting of a comet set off a wave of religious fervor and saw the group's membership expand exponentially. Quickly spiraling out hand and distorting the group's original monastic message, farms and villages were abandoned by peasants believing the end of the world was imminent.

(Curses! Beaten to it.)
A quote from the famous Steampunk series "Imperium" by the Italian Emilio Salgari. I think is from the latest Book "Fractus", and it's part of the speech of Senator Maximilianos to the Loyal Legions.

"After all of this, do you still believe that there is a God?" Alexander Williams.

Edit: Damn I was ninja'd do I eliminate the post or do we go with two?.
So who should we pick to continue?

I guess the general rule would be to keep the description, and save the quote for later. Go with the first quote.
Yes!
eab5afc4bfb52ccd3656aa60daadafe63fc4b65147a15766b4d43ba96c89f20f.jpg

Deleted member 97083

"Shall it be said that our fathers and grandfathers came to this hostile land unaided and thrived with no help, yet we flounder and shame their legacies. Shall it be said that in the face of honour and duty we exposed our bellies to the enemies when we should have been stabbing theirs. Let it not be that we end up but footnotes in history. Let it be so that in the face of this threat we dominated and destroyed, so that our own children shall look up to us in admiration and pride. For our kingdom, our people and our glory." - King Alasandar Knight, King of Jerusalem, just before the 3rd Battle of Montgisard.
Speech of the Anglo-Turkish, Maronite Catholic king of Jerusalem, Alasandar I Knight. The 3rd Battle of Montgisard led to the total victory of the Christian Turcopoles and Normano-Greeks against the Ilkhanate and the consolidation of Christian rule over the Holy Land. The Knight dynasty would rule for 174 years until the Abbadids reconquered Jerusalem.

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
- Pharaoh Demetrius

Last edited by a moderator:
Speech of the Anglo-Turkish, Maronite Catholic king of Jerusalem, Alasandar I Knight. The 3rd Battle of Montgisard led to the total victory of the Christian Turcopoles and Normano-Greeks against the Ilkhanate and the consolidation of Christian rule over the Holy Land. The Knight dynasty would rule for 174 years until the Abbadids reconquered Jerusalem.

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."
- Pharaoh Demetrius

Pharoh Demetrius to general Washington during the war of coptic succession, with the help of British navy he was able to take back his childhood home, the port of Alexandria, and later take over the once ottoman area of Egypt, restoring the Copts as the head of religion

"I must say i am glad that neither nationalists nor anarchists have a good shot"
-president William McKinley

Last edited:
Pharoh Demetrius to general Washington during the war of coptic succession, with the help of British navy he was able to take back Alexandria, his homeland

"I must say i am glad that neither nationalists nor anarchists have a good shot"
-president William Mckiniley

Quote from McKiniley's inaugural address after an assassin failed to bring him down.

"How dare you, sir? How dare you sit here and tell me, tell me, that what your country did was in any way justifiable? How dare you sit here and tell me that the rounding up and expelling of my people, of my family, made anybody safer. How dare you sit here and lie about the despicable acts of three decades ago as easily as you would wipe your nation's constitution on your ass? Have you any good left in you? No, sir, I do not believe so. You are damned, and how dare you try to bring down the country with you."

Quote from McKiniley's inaugural address after an assassin failed to bring him down.

"How dare you, sir? How dare you sit here and tell me, tell me, that what your country did was in any way justifiable? How dare you sit here and tell me that the rounding up and expelling of my people, of my family, made anybody safer. How dare you sit here and lie about the despicable acts of three decades ago as easily as you would wipe your nation's constitution on your ass? Have you any good left in you? No, sir, I do not believe so. You are damned, and how dare you try to bring down the country with you."

American-German journalist Anne Frank to fascist leader of Austria Karl Fischer who had killed millions of religous people beginning in 1937 and only ending after his flight in 1952. This was about her parents, murderred on holiday in Austria during 1952, Karl had been in hiding in Uganda for 37 years and was put on trial in 1989(where the quote comes from) and was hung on the first day of 1990

"Continue the battle, stand you ground lest these Canadians make our union and republic, these United States of America fall!"
- Robert E Lee

Last edited:

Deleted member 97083

American-German journalist Anne Frank to fascist leader of Austria Karl Fischer who had killed millions of religous people beginning in 1937 and only ending after his flight in 1952. This was about her parents, murderred on holiday in Austria during 1952, Karl had been in hiding in Uganda for 37 years and was put on trial in 1989(where the quote comes from) and was hung on the first day of 1990

"Continue the battle, stand you ground lest these Canadians make our United States fall"
- Robert E Lee
President Lee to General Sherman during the War of 1850, which was started by the border dispute in the Oregon Territory. The War of 1850 led to a temporarily reconciliation of the increasing tensions between North and South.

"The Ottoman Empire today is a powder keg and the Valiler are like men smoking in an arsenal … A single spark will set off an explosion that will consume us all … I cannot tell you when that explosion will occur, but I can tell you where … Some damned foolish thing in the Balkans will set it off."
- Prince Abdülmecid, 1992