WI: Disney Keeps Control of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit

To go into a bit more depth here, one of the features of Mickey Mouse is that, compared to the other characters, he is rather large for a mouse. So if Looney Tunes have a "Mugsy Mouse" character, he's unlikely to be as big as Bugs Bunny. That changes his interaction with other characters, for example he won't be competing on equal terms with Daffy Duck or disguising himself as a woman to fool Elmer Fudd. He'll be more like Speedy Gonzales than Bugs Bunny.

or they make Mugsy the right size because

A. They want to match Oswald

B. the same reason Mickey was bigger

Its ALWAYS Mouse Season, I imagine Elemer Fudd driving around in an exterminator truck

Mugsy Vs Hitler in WWII becomes somewhat interesting, People think Whom do the Nazis compare to rats? BUt this rat alays wins! Mugsy becomes unofficial symbol of Israel

What happens to the the Mickey Mouse Song, and the Mouseketeers?

The Rabbiteers sing O-S-W, See YOU Real soon, A-L-D, Its been a DE-light, the Lucky, R-A-B-B-I-T?

What happens when everyone's favorite Rabbit kills JFK?

Interesting concept - if we could get a TL written up, I'd subscribe in an instant!

If this happened, this could have even more butterflies with Western animation. How would MGM be affected? Would we still get Tom and Jerry? Or maybe something else like...Jasper and Jerry? (FYI, Tom was named "Jasper" in the duo's debut cartoon, Puss Gets the Boot.)

Interesting concept - if we could get a TL written up, I'd subscribe in an instant!

If this happened, this could have even more butterflies with Western animation. How would MGM be affected? Would we still get Tom and Jerry? Or maybe something else like...Jasper and Jerry? (FYI, Tom was named "Jasper" in the duo's debut cartoon, Puss Gets the Boot.)
Having not done the research what does MGM have to do with any of this? We might as well have Tom remain as Jasper. Do you think Bugs should remain a rabbit or be turned into a mouse, or mayed turned into another animal like a deer?

It was just a thought. Keep in mind that Disney has had considerable effects on animation in general, especially in the Golden Age. Early on, other animation studios like Warner Brothers and MGM did try to mimic Disney's cutesy style before moving on to their zany, madcap and slapstick character animation.

Would he become as popular as mickey? Possible as long his short are well written, what will be in other areas? Dunno? Donald Might exist as duck pretty well, maybe another animal for goofy?

What will be of Bugs Bunny? change to another animal to avoid being a Oswald Ripoff? Playboy need a new mascot too....
As I pointed out in the previous thread, nope. Hef "borrowed" the name from a bar in Urbana he'd frequented when he was a student - Bunny's Tavern. Sure, it's possible but it's not required.

That being said, if one wanted to, the natural replacement would be foxes. They still have a sexual connotation. And the tail and ears aren't a huge change to TTL's version of OTL's bunny outfit. One possible knock on effect would be a possible subtle change in preference for a more gamine physical type suited to a slender vixen than OTL's busty bunnys.

More ATL Oswald
real_life_walt_and_oswald_by_meepmeep189-d37wg9s.png

real_life_disneyland_oswald_by_meepmeep189-d3ae6xo.jpg

Last edited:
I like the direction this thread is heading. I really want to own that Oswald hat. :)

That being said, if one wanted to, the natural replacement would be foxes. They still have a sexual connotation. And the tail and ears aren't a huge change to TTL's version of OTL's bunny outfit. One possible knock on effect would be a possible subtle change in preference for a more gamine physical type suited to a slender vixen than OTL's busty bunnys.
I support this idea too.

The real question is how can Walt both form a new studio and keep Oswald? He should be really lucky (pun intended) to be able to do such.

I like the direction this thread is heading. I really want to own that Oswald hat. :)

I support this idea too.

The real question is how can Walt both form a new studio and keep Oswald? He should be really lucky (pun intended) to be able to do such.

I Know its Kinda Late but
Maybe Disney's Company is Owned Independently as a Sister Company to Universal (Similar to how Sega Bought Atlus in the Early 2010s and Made it a Sister Company to Them or How Pillsbury Owned Burger King as a Sister Company for a while) Disney Gets to Keep Oswald and Snow White is Untouched Thus Things like Anime Stays the Same