I'm Going to Disney World: An Open Collaborative Sports TL

I thought it would be interesting to make a collaborative sports timeline that takes place in the same universe as my American Magic TL. The only references to the sports world in that TL are the existence of the MLB Cardinals and ABA Spirits in St Louis, as well as the NFL Cardinals moving there in 1960. Other than that, the sports world is still pretty much a blank canvas in the American Magic universe. The POD is the early 1950's, the same timeframe which American Magic begins...

fa_1083_ramswin970.jpg

Late 1950 (POD):
Los Angeles Rams beat the Cleveland Browns 27-24 for the NFL title.

5051rochroyals112.jpg

Summer 1951:
Rochester Royals win the NBA Championship in a stunning upset over the Minneapolis Lakers.

1951-Willie-Mays-portrait-photograph-New-York-Giants.jpg

Fall 1951:
Injuries during the World Series derail the New York Yankees' quest to win one last ring for the Yankee Clipper. Instead, Bobby Thompson, Monte Irvin and the "Say Hey Kid" were the heroes for the longshot NY Giants, who in seven games, win their first World Series pennant in 18 years.

4911563345_9beedbaca2_o.jpg

Christmastime 1951:
Cleveland Browns avenge the previous year's loss by beating the Rams in the grudge match 35-17.

1952:
- Pacific Coast League given Open status by MLB.

- St Louis Cardinals sold to Anheuser-Busch.

This thread is now open to all collaborators!

Last edited:
Early 1953:
National League approves Boston Braves' bid to move to Milwaukee, a city that spent 5 decades without big league baseball.
1953stadium.jpg

Last edited:
A question which disneyland the winners Will go or they can chose?

A question... Will both baseball team moves or might the dodgers get the Dome or giants Will share but other giants what would become the shea stadium?

A question which disneyland the winners Will go or they can chose?

A question... Will both baseball team moves or might the dodgers get the Dome or giants Will share but other giants what would become the shea stadium?

The title is of course an obvious reference to those old commercials, but yeah the winners can always pick.

This thread is intended to be more collaborative than my American Magic thread, so now, the users can do whatever they want and I can retcon anything if need be.

1953: Clint Murchison out-bids Carroll Rosenbloom for the struggling Dallas Texans franchise, and they stay in Texas. Clint changes the name of the team to the Cowboys.

1953 NFL Alignment after the Texans reorganize as the Cowboys...

East

Cleveland Browns
Detroit Lions
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
Washington Redskins

West
Chicago Bears
Chicago Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Green Bay Packers
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers

NFL East Playoff
Cleveland Browns 30
Detroit Lions 27

NFL Championship (Cleveland Municipal Stadium; Cleveland, OH)
Cleveland Browns 17
San Francisco 49ers 13

Late 1953:
No longer able to compete with the Cardinals after AB bought the NL club, Bill Veeck announces the St Louis Browns are up for sale.

Also Late 1953: An ownership group in Houston, Texas agrees to buy the Browns and move them to Houston. The team will be named the Colt .45s.

And the Colt 45's will play at the existing Buff Stadium starting in spring 1954 while the city finalizes plans for an unprecedented domed stadium.

A note for the future: With Murchison keeping the Texans in Dallas, that may have an influence on Lamar Hunt. He tried to buy the Cardinals and move them to Dallas, and only started the AFL when that failed.

A note for the future: With Murchison keeping the Texans in Dallas, that may have an influence on Lamar Hunt. He tried to buy the Cardinals and move them to Dallas, and only started the AFL when that failed.

Oh yeah that's true. Don't forget Baltimore is open for Hunt to try to invite Carroll Rosenbloom into the Foolish Club.

Oh yeah that's true. Don't forget Baltimore is open for Hunt to try to invite Carroll Rosenbloom into the Foolish Club.

Well, I don't know if there will be a foolish club in this world since the Dallas market is full. Hunt's AFL idea came from the failure to get the Cardinals.

Well, I don't know if there will be a foolish club in this world since the Dallas market is full. Hunt's AFL idea came from the failure to get the Cardinals.

Hmmm, so he would have to be interested in another city. Maybe he makes the leap straight to KC.

Another possible change: the Vikings came to be because the ownership was offered an NFL franchise to replace an AFL one. If the Vikings join the AFL, no Oakland Raiders - they were the replacement.

1954:
- While the Houston Colt 45's would not finish any better than sixth in the American League, their home attendance at Buff Stadium is standing room only for all 77 home games.

- Minneapolis Lakers win their fifth NBA title.

NBA Alignment 1953-54
East
Baltimore Bullets
Boston Celtics
New York Knicks
Philadelphia Warriors
Syracuse Nationals

West
Ft Wayne Pistons
Milwaukee Hawks
Minneapolis Lakers
Rochester Royals

- Philadelphia waits as the fate of the both the Phillies and Athletics will be decided during the winter of 1954 and '55.

Late 1954:
Willie Mays's heroics are not enough to help the NY Giants beat the Cleveland Indians in six games of the '54 fall classic. This would be the last World Series appearance for the Giants in New York.