Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Chattanooga and Knoxville are no longer part of the state? Do you have a map of the US and a backstory?
Yeah, all of OTL East Tennessee is a part of Nickajack ITTL as it is one of three states to be formed after the Civil War, with the other two being the states of Northern Virginia and Lincoln. It's not a 100% accurate anymore as I have changed my mind on the names of some states, but I'm sticking to those borders.

@MoralisticCommunist: Can you do Dakota next? I'm curious if there's a national Farmers' Party.
Strangely enough, I'm actually doing a state right now which features a left-wing farmer party, but it's not the same farmer party as that seen in Dakota, Nebraska, and other Plains states. So I can do that one next.

The 2016 South Korean legislative election results under a full-PR system and with an expanded 350-seat National Assembly. Some things to note here, which are still visible when looking also into OTL's map: The south-west (both Jeollas and especially Gwangju) is extremely left-wing, which I imagine it is linked to the repression of the democratic protests in the area in 1980 as well as that Kim Dae-jung was from the area. Instead, the east of the country, and especially the south-east are very right-wing, without a large difference between urban and rural areas. I think it has to do with the fact that Park Chung-hee was from the North Gyeongsang province. But that matters little, since 175 of the 350 seats are elected from the metropolitan area of Seoul, where Saenuri comes ahead only due to the division between the People's Party and the Minjoo Party as well as the smaller, more left-wing Justice Party.

The data used is from the PR segment of the elections, so that's why the People's Party comes ahead of Minjoo, and by quite a bit. Funnily enough, Minjoo is pretty much the second most-voted party everywhere except for a couple of Seoul constituencies. The breakdown is as follows:

New Frontier 'Saenuri' Party (centre-right): 140 seats (40.1% of seats vs 40.7% OTL)
People's Party (centre): 103 seats (29.5% of seats vs. 12.7% OTL)
Minjoo Party (centre to centre-left): 95 seats (27.2% of seats vs. 41% OTL)
Justice Party (centre-left): 11 seats (3.2% of seats vs. 2% OTL)

The big change is not the amount of seats controlled by the biggest party (this might be limited by some method other than D'Hont), but in the distribution between the 2 centre/centre-left parties in opposition to the president's party.

2016%20legislative%20election%20SK.png

Last edited:
The 2016 South Korean legislative election

New Frontier 'Saenuri' Party (centre-right): 140 seats (40.1% of seats vs 40.7% OTL)
People's Party (centre): 103 seats (29.5% of seats vs. 12.7% OTL)
Minjoo Party (centre to centre-left): 95 seats (27.2% of seats vs. 41% OTL)
Justice Party (centre-left): 11 seats (3.2% of seats vs. 2% OTL)

Interesting, so Saenuri suffers very slightly from it, People's Party greatly benefits from it, Minjoo greatly suffers from it, and Justice benefits from it very slightly.

Interesting, so Saenuri suffers very slightly from it, People's Party greatly benefits from it, Minjoo greatly suffers from it, and Justice benefits from it very slightly.

Yes, but that's because the Minjoo greatly underperformed in the PR segment of the elections, as opposed to the FPTP seats, where they were considerably ahead of the People's Party.

Although I think I can try and make it with the combined FPTP votes. Not sure though.

Rhad

Banned
The 2060 US Presidential Election

President Alexandria Harris (D) (48.41%) (253 electoral votes) (TN)
Governor Kylie Wright (R) (49.40%) (285 electoral votes) (OR)
2060 election.png

President Harris's reelection loss was caused by many factors. A terraforming accident on Mars, the republican controlled congress's intransigence, slow economic growth, averaging little more than 20% in her final year in office, and Wright's young, optimistic campaign, a sharp contrast to Harris, nearing 70, all contributed to her defeat. But the largest factor in this election was the moving of Oregon, and indeed the whole pacific west, behind the Red (Republican) Wall. This election is also notable for being the second straight between two women, following the 2056 election between Samantha Howard and Alexandria Harris.
Kylie Wright, the newly elected president, became the first president born in the 21st century, as well as the last.

Last edited:
Nixon doesn't debate Kennedy, does 1.5% better and Kennedy loses 1.5%. All states Kennedy won by 3% or less go to Nixon.
genusmap.php

Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge-Republican: 384 EV 51.05%
John Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson-Democratic: 145 EV 48.22%
Unpledged: 6 EV

Nixon doesn't debate Kennedy, does 1.5% better and Kennedy loses 1.5%. All states Kennedy won by 3% or less go to Nixon.
genusmap.php

Richard Nixon/Henry Cabot Lodge-Republican: 384 EV 51.05%
John Kennedy/Lyndon Johnson-Democratic: 145 EV 48.22%
Unpledged: 6 EV

It's amazing how a minor swing either way could have changed the map so much.

Thande

Donor
The south-west (both Jeollas and especially Gwangju) is extremely left-wing, which I imagine it is linked to the repression of the democratic protests in the area in 1980 as well as that Kim Dae-jung was from the area. Instead, the west of the country, and especially the south-west are very right-wing, without a large difference between urban and rural areas.
Very interesting @Nanwe - I assume one of these is a typo?

If 2016 election had been on August 8
Source is the 538 forecast. Given there was a 1% polling error as undecided broke for Trump due to Clinton's bad news cycle, here there is a 1% polling error in Clinton's favor, though I'll take it from Gary Johnson.
genusmap.php

Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine-Democratic: 375 EV 50.9%
Donald Trump/Mike Pence-Republican: 163 EV 41.9%
Gary Johnson/William Weld-Liberarian: 0 EV 5.9%
Also, the Senate:
upload_2017-1-2_11-5-21.png
The Democrats had a 3 point lead in the generic congressional ballot at the time. However, that would not be enough to retake the House. I'd say the seat gains would be in double digits, maybe around 15, 20 seats lost by the Republicans, something like 230 R-205 D.

Sabot Cat

Banned
Not sure if this is alternate per se, but here is an aggregation of the 1960, 1968, and 1976 elections using 2016 E.C. numbers:

upload_2017-1-1_18-21-11.png

Red - Republican thrice
Pink - Republican twice
Gray - Third party twice
Light blue - Democratic twice
Blue - Democratic thrice

Source is the 538 forecast. Given there was a 1% polling error as undecided broke for Trump due to Clinton's bad news cycle, here there is a 1% polling error in Clinton's favor, though I'll take it from Gary Johnson.
genusmap.php

Also, the Senate:
The Democrats had a 3 point lead in the generic congressional ballot at the time. However, that would not be enough to retake the House. I'd say the seat gains would be in double digits, maybe around 15, 20 seats lost by the Republicans, something like 230 R-205 D.
Can you do the Now-cast for Aug. 8? (With the 1% polling error going from Trump to Clinton?)

Last edited:

Wallet

Banned
The 2060 US Presidential Election

President Alexandria Harris (D) (48.41%) (253 electoral votes) (TN)
Governor Kylie Wright (R) (49.40%) (285 electoral votes) (OR)
View attachment 301973
President Harris's reelection loss was caused by many factors. A terraforming accident on Mars, the republican controlled congress's intransigence, slow economic growth, averaging little more than 20% in her final year in office, and Wright's young, optimistic campaign, a sharp contrast to Harris, nearing 70, all contributed to her defeat. But the largest factor in this election was the moving of Oregon, and indeed the whole pacific west, behind the Red (Republican) Wall. This election is also notable for being the second straight between two women, following the 2056 election between Samantha Howard and Alexandria Harris.
Kylie Wright, the newly elected president, became the first president born in the 21st century, as well as the last.
Last?

Sabot Cat

Banned
genusmap.php

Also, the Senate:

Is that... a Democratic landslide and a Bayh victory in Indiana?

tumblr_lpgj89yVVj1qj41h3o1_500.gif

Jimmy Carter (1976) vs. Donald Trump (2016):
genusmap.php

Democratic: James E. Carter (Georgia)/Walter Mondale (Minnesota) - 50.16%, 325 EVs
Republican: Donald J. Trump (New York)/Michael R. Pence (Indiana) - 46.06%, 213 EVs

Gerald Ford (1976) vs. Hillary Clinton (2016):
genusmap.php

Democratic: Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)/Timothy Kaine (Virginia) - 48.14%, 285 EVs
Republican: Gerald R. Ford (Michigan)/Robert Dole (Kansas) - 48.08%, 235 EVs

Jimmy Carter (1976) vs. Donald Trump (2016):
genusmap.php

Democratic: James E. Carter (Georgia)/Walter Mondale (Minnesota) - 50.16%, 325 EVs
Republican: Donald J. Trump (New York)/Michael R. Pence (Indiana) - 46.06%, 213 EVs

Gerald Ford (1976) vs. Hillary Clinton (2016):
genusmap.php

Democratic: Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York)/Timothy Kaine (Virginia) - 48.14%, 285 EVs
Republican: Gerald R. Ford (Michigan)/Robert Dole (Kansas) - 48.08%, 235 EVs

What do Ford vs. Trump and Jimmeh vs. Clinton look like?

I wanted to do a map for a 2016 election in which the candidates were those who received the votes of faithless electors in OTL 2016. I have tweaked the tickets for purposes of coherency:

genusmap.php

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell of New York/Senator Susan Collins of Maine (Independent) 271 Electoral Votes
Governor John Kasich of Ohio/Businesswoman Carly Fiorina of Virginia (Republican) 99 Electoral Votes
Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont/Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts (Democratic) 77 Electoral Votes
Former Congressman Ron Paul of Texas/Representative Tulsi Gabbard (LIbertarian) 55 Electoral Votes
Activist Faith Spotted Eagle of South Dakota/Activist Winona LaDuke of California (Green) 36 Electoral Votes

I wanted to do a map for a 2016 election in which the candidates were those who received the votes of faithless electors in OTL 2016. I have tweaked the tickets for purposes of coherency:

genusmap.php

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell of New York/Senator Susan Collins of Maine (Independent) 271 Electoral Votes
Governor John Kasich of Ohio/Businesswoman Carly Fiorina of Virginia (Republican) 99 Electoral Votes
Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont/Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts (Democratic) 77 Electoral Votes
Former Congressman Ron Paul of Texas/Representative Tulsi Gabbard (LIbertarian) 55 Electoral Votes
Activist Faith Spotted Eagle of South Dakota/Activist Winona LaDuke of California (Green) 36 Electoral Votes
Colorado would probably be a 5 way tossup with those candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.