The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

The Nazi characters, at least, aren't really put in a position where racist name calling would make sense. They're mostly talking to other Germans or white Americans. The one part that sticks out is Joe's friendliness to the black ship crew and
regret that they got killed by the Nazis.
The again, I think breaking from the Nazis for ideological reasons is where his arc ultimately goes.

As for Chilldan, I remember him voicing very negative things about the Japanese in Season 1. I can't remember too well, though.[/spoiler]

I don't really have complaints against the depiction of the 'bad guy' Nazis. They do use racist invective re the Japanese (they used 'slant-eyed' I think in the pilot ep even). And as you say, there's not much need for racism when you've practically exterminated or driven from the public eye non-whites. The most touchy way Nazi ideology would affect most average Aryans' everyday lives would indeed be their attitudes and policies towards 'useless eaters' and measuring women by their ability to pump out and raise babies, as depicted in the show. I think that part is quite accurate. Ironically, it's in the multiracial Japanese Empire where racism would be a more day-to-day issue.

I think you might be right about where Joe's arc is heading, and that would be interesting but further feeds into the saintly protagonists trope where a racist thought never seems to enter their pretty little heads.

You're also right that Childan is privately disparaging towards the Japanese in season one, but explicit admiration of the Germans/Nazis is never really touched upon.

The Nazi characters, at least, aren't really put in a position where racist name calling would make sense. They're mostly talking to other Germans or white Americans. The one part that sticks out is Joe's friendliness to the black ship crew and
regret that they got killed by the Nazis.
The again, I think breaking from the Nazis for ideological reasons is where his arc ultimately goes.

As for Chilldan, I remember him voicing very negative things about the Japanese in Season 1. I can't remember too well, though.[/spoiler]

Somewhat. But I share Rush's sense that they've played down the harshness of Childan's prejudices as they exist in the book.

In fairness, most of that existed in interior reflection on his part - not the sort of thing he would be keen to share with anyone else, no matter how close they were to him.

I didn't find that too unrealistic. The Nazis aren't OTLneo-Nazis, who are motivated by edginess as much as anything else and so would have incentive to spout of racist thoughts at every possible opportunity. Nazi ideology in Nazi Germany is accepted and everybody is presumed to believe it. In this world, it won, and the Reich proper no longer has a problem with the "lesser races." Nobody would go around telling people about "those damn Jews, look how Nazi I am" unless they were a (bad) Japanese spy.

A blink and you'll miss it piece of worldbuilding was this scene with the Concordes. They all have flags of "foreign" states on them. I can identify the UK and Mengjiang, but what are those other two flags? Click the image for the full resolution image.

It seems to be the Congo Free State (eek!) and Thailand.

How exactly are Japanese-Americans and Japanese actually getting along. It shows in the show that one Japanese-American girl, Sarah, hating the Japanese enough to join the resistance. Yet, I would imagine that Japanese-Americans, even if they're not Japanese enough, would be near the top of the social hierarchy right under native born Japanese, which would be a huge improvement from being on the bottom of the social ladder under the Americans. Even if native-born Japanese look down on Japanese Americans, I still think the Japanese would have a soft spot for their American cousins and grant them privileges and benefits that they would never have under American rule, nor would the Japanese ever grant such to other Americans. After all, it was the Americans who locked up Sarah and her family, and the Japanese who freed them and possibly gave back her home and property that the white Americans have seized from them.

It shows in the show that one Japanese-American girl, Sarah, hating the Japanese enough to join the resistance.

She explains it in an episode.

They were not let out of the camp right away, she mentions that they were kept in there even after the war was over.

Hi! First post in the forums. I joined after watching the series and reading this thread. Nice to meet you!

One thing I would want to know more is what happened in the Solomons. Smith said something about "failure of command", so I guess Watchtower was a failure or something? The US losing there would really set back the Americans from pushing back the Japanese, so that was my thought.

Hi! First post in the forums. I joined after watching the series and reading this thread. Nice to meet you!

One thing I would want to know more is what happened in the Solomons. Smith said something about "failure of command", so I guess Watchtower was a failure or something? The US losing there would really set back the Americans from pushing back the Japanese, so that was my thought.

Welcome, O.S..

It's hard to say because the show doesn't provide further detail, and I do not recall it being mentioned in the book. I was honestly surprised to learn that they posited any fighting at all in the Solomons, given what I know of Dick's ATL. Honestly, it had to be an insanely complete Japanwank to get the outcome we have here at all (Japanese occupying the mainland U.S.!), and that kind of wank would seem to preclude any major fighting in a place as far forward as the Solomons. WATCHTOWER was only made possible by the fact that most of the Kido Butai had recently been converted to coral reefs; any Allied incursion into the Solomons otherwise would have been a more desperate affair, to say the least.

But perhaps it was some very different, more desperate battle which took place. I can't help the suspicion that this is a world-building detail by the showrunners that may not have been well thought out.

A desperate American offensive that makes it to the Solomons, but was doomed from the start given the superior Japanese position? Failure of command might be conducting the operation to begin with.

Season 1 already did. http://www.dvdcomingsoon.com/The-Man-In-The-High-Castle-Season-1-DVD-19019.html

So I assume the same will be true of future seasons.

Don't ask me about Blu-ray - though the showrunners have said in the past that everything will eventually be available in both formats.

Hmmm, this looks exactly like the other website I already tried that said they took Visa but actually only take Mastercard which I don't have. I guess I will email and see if they are different.