Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Eh, and the common views qbout them, like "white man's burden", or what?

North Africa that isn't in play - Morocco was always independent and the rest of North Africa was under the Ottomans. Ethiopia has also always been independent.

Kongo had a brief colonial period but is independent as well and has strong trade ties with Prussia-Poland.

South Africa is a bit of a mess at present, though a relatively developed mess.

The rest of Africa does have some of that white man's burden issue going on but a little more successfully and a little less hypocritically.

Philippines & Indonesia

Well, time will tell, though part of what would OTL be Indonesia has just gained its independence.

Thothian

Banned
It's not so much as Morocco being powerful (though it is a very prosperous independent state with strong ties to the USA), but rather the rest of North Africa decided they had had enough of being ruled from Istambul so once the die-hard Ottomans were defeated by the Moroccans and their Human League allies the North African peoples called for being ruled by the Moroccan Sultan. It's going to be quite the process for both Morocco and North Africa.

Honestly, at this point it's a Moroccan Empire. But at least one where the non-Moroccan member countries are glad to be part of it.

It's set up to be one hell of a prosperous state: lots of really good ports, oil, the Suez Canal, etc. If the sultan has any foresight at all, he'll get behind several measures to develop his empire. I'd suggest:

A proclamation of religious tolerance, while retaining Islam's primary place
Measures to encourage the prosperity of trade through his major ports, making his empire a hub like OTL Singapore
MASSIVE investment in a railway system connecting the coastal cities with resource nodes in the interior
founding of world-class universities ( and upgrades to those already in existence) to gin up the idea economy ( OTL, this is a HUGE part of the US's power/prosperity)
a first rate navy ( having all that coastline makes it necessary to be taken seriously and protect the attempt to make trade a primary concern of the state)

As I recall, Morocco was the very first country OTL to recognize the US, right after the Declaration of Independence. Is this true ITTL?

Glen

Honestly, at this point it's a Moroccan Empire.

And that is what it is known as in the English speaking world.

But at least one where the non-Moroccan member countries are glad to be part of it.

Yes, that is correct.

It's set up to be one hell of a prosperous state: lots of really good ports, oil,

Yes indeed, as well as good agriculture on the Nile.

the Suez Canal, etc.

Well, they do have the share that with the British.

If the sultan has any foresight at all, he'll get behind several measures to develop his empire. I'd suggest:

A proclamation of religious tolerance, while retaining Islam's primary place

These are already active traditions in TTL's Morocco and the break-away former Ottoman North Africa.

Measures to encourage the prosperity of trade through his major ports, making his empire a hub like OTL Singapore

Good idea - what measures would those be?

MASSIVE investment in a railway system connecting the coastal cities with resource nodes in the interior

They already have a good start with the Ottoman rail infrastructure.

founding of world-class universities (and upgrades to those already in existence) to gin up the idea economy ( OTL, this is a HUGE part of the US's power/prosperity)

There are some good ones but that is something they could develop more.

a first rate navy ( having all that coastline makes it necessary to be taken seriously and protect the attempt to make trade a primary concern of the state)

Doable especially with the Human League setting quotas for it they can have a decent one that would provide defense without constantly being in a build-up to beat the neighbors (modernization and innovation is another story however).

As I recall, Morocco was the very first country OTL to recognize the US, right after the Declaration of Independence. Is this true ITTL?

Absolutely! The relationship starts out very similarly and actually grows stronger over time than OTL.

Thothian

Banned
Good idea - what measures would those be?

Make the founding of import/export companies dirt-simple under the empire's laws, tax breaks for shipments passing through the empire on the way to elsewhere, ironclad rule of law+property rights to remove uncertainty ( investors hate uncertainty), subsidies to encourage farming to the level that agricultural exports become a huge thing for the empire, subsidies to encourage expansion of seafood farming (aquaculture).

Also protect worker's rights to encourage accumulation of wealth and expand the empire's middle class, encouraging a consumption-based sector of the economy.

that's just a few I can think of right away.

I'm really, really excited to see the Moroccan Empire take off and be prosperous and liberal now. I'll hope for the best for America's oldest ally in this world!

Make the founding of import/export companies dirt-simple under the empire's laws, tax breaks for shipments passing through the empire on the way to elsewhere, ironclad rule of law+property rights to remove uncertainty ( investors hate uncertainty), subsidies to encourage farming to the level that agricultural exports become a huge thing for the empire, subsidies to encourage expansion of seafood farming (aquaculture).

Also protect worker's rights to encourage accumulation of wealth and expand the empire's middle class, encouraging a consumption-based sector of the economy.

"I want to take back our jobs. They're being stealed by Morocco & their imperialist fellows! They are having a comfortable life, but we still live under their overlordship."

– Ismael "X" Drumpf

Glen

The development of the theory of contramatter was developed over the course of the first half of the 20th century. Starting with the quandary provided by certain solutions for discrete physics and observations of certain types of heavy elatomic decay, it had become obvious that both theoretically and empirically there was a positive charge counterpart to the negatom differing only in being positive in charge. These positive charge negatom-like particles were eventually named contranegatoms. Bizarrely some models suggested that these particles were negative energy versions of negatoms, or even more fantastically that they were negatoms moving backwards in time. Perhaps more remarkably is that over time it seemed more likely that the time traveling negatom might be the better fit model. Over time other contramatter particles were discovered, including the contraposatom, leading to the idea of a possible true contramatter elatom like contrahydrogen. With further understanding of subelatomic particle structure, eventually even a somewhat counter-intuitive contrasumatom was discovered.

D-Feynman-Diagram-Navy_3900c640-d4f5-48e1-9a9c-78d4d00d6eeb.png

Glen

Thanks - severL of those may come to pass.

Glen

Transcontinental Railways, International Canals, and Airwhales had made the 19th century world a smaller place, but as the 20th century progressed, ICEwings more and more came to dominate long distance passenger travel. When it came to freight, however, shipping and rail still were the dominant means of long distance transport. ICEcars were also beginning to erode into more regional and local passenger transport, but the advent of cheap electricity via elatomic power stations made electric trains more attractive than ever. They had already made themselves ubiquitous in urban areas as their relative quiet operations, lack of smoke or steam (doubly valued for underground rail), and more rapid acceleration and deceleration made them the preferred choice for populated areas. With rapidly dropping electric generation costs, a new surge in regional railways was in full swing by the 1950s.

616px-The_Congressional_Pennsylvania_Railroad.JPG

Glen

President Martin Roosevelt served two terms in office, seeing the United States of America through the Population War and into the Human League. In the 1940 presidential election, the American people chose the Democratic candidate, naval war hero and native son of Virginia Admiral 'Fleet' Mac McCauley as the new president.

dennis-farina.jpg

President 'Fleet' Mac McCauley

Despite coming from different parties, Roosevelt was known to be fond of 'Fleet' Mac and was an honored presence at McCauley's inauguration. Sadly, within days of handing over the presidency, Martin Roosevelt passed away quietly in his sleep in his New York home. President McCauley and leaders from around the world attended the funeral of Roosevelt.

Wow, not only have you had some excellent posts of late (to include the finale to the Population War), but I even get a namesake* in your TL! And as the POTUS, no less! :happyblush Keep up the good work, more on my end to come as I think of them. One thing I will ask is, what is the relative state of naval warfare by this time ITTL? Are we roughly along the same lines as OTL, or is naval technology and strategy (ICE wing carriers being queen of the seas instead of battleships, development of jets and missiles, etc.)?

*Not that I threw it out there, but my given name is Kenneth ;).

Glen

Wow, not only have you had some excellent posts of late (to include the finale to the Population War),

Thank you.

but I even get a namesake* in your TL! And as the POTUS, no less! :happyblush Keep up the good work, more on my end to come as I think of them.

Yes, and well deserved! I am sorry you hadn't gotten one before - I thought I had long before now!

One thing I will ask is, what is the relative state of naval warfare by this time ITTL? Are we roughly along the same lines as OTL, or is naval technology and strategy (ICE wing carriers being queen of the seas instead of battleships, development of jets and missiles, etc.)?

Battleship warfare was the major action of the Global War. The Population War saw the first use of ICEwing carriers and were very important for providing air superiority in many theatres. The ICEwings went from biwing to monowing during the war. Submarines were also important to the naval war. There were no jets during the Population War. There were no missiles in the Population War.

*Not that I threw it out there, but my given name is Kenneth ;).

Is that a request?

Glen

640px-Hoppin-john-bowl.JPG

New Year's Day was a big holiday in many quarters of the British Empire including Scotland and the Dominion of Southern America. Large family get-together were the order of the day for Southron families of all ethnicities, and while there was variation on the details of the traditions from province to province (for example many stated one had to eat 365 black eyed peas for luck all year), all agreed on the importance of pork for prosperity and black eyed peas for luck. Also popular on New Year's Day was collard greens and the golden hued cornbread. A classic New Year's dish was Hopping John which combined many of these traditional good luck foods. However it was safe to say that on New Year's Day Pork was King.

640px-Roast_Pig_1.JPG

Glen

360px-Isborr.jpg
b99175563z.1_20140101161819_000_g3l46gh4.2-0.jpg

In the United States of America, in addition to more universal New Year's traditions there was also the popular activities of ice fishing and ice swimming on the turn of the new year. On the other hand, in the more urbane city centers, Champagne toasts on New Year's midnight hour were all the rage!

new-years-champagne.jpg