Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Here it is with the requested updates. Just let me know if it needs any more fixing!
I used the TOASTER colour scheme, but with my own "Artistic License", such as the DSA colour (As I thought normal Dominion Brown was to dull for them)
The boarders in Africa are a combination of the OTL African Boarders, Rivers, and Guesswork straight lines (As Europeans are normally fond of) I though having a large stip across Africa would look a bit boring without them. I can add my take on internal divisions of other countries if you would want.
View attachment 301163
Thank you for the map and the information -I will look more at your British Subsaharan Africa divisions and see if some version of them works for this TL.

I'd be interested to see what else you come up with in terms of internal divisions for nations

Glen

the-human-league-4e0662224c2e9.png

After the end of the Population War, the victorious Human League did not simply dissolve. The Population War had been the most traumatizing experience of the modern era, easily eclipsing the Global War, Liberal War, and Napoleonic Wars. The Great Powers of the Human League did not want to see another extremist movement plunge the world into flames the way Korsgaardism and Malthusianism had in the previous conflicts. Also, many of the leaders of the Human League were proud of the Human League Declaration of Rights and saw value in seeing it upheld on the international stage. While the original membership of the Human League was the military alliance forged in opposition to Malthusian Mania, other nations quickly petitioned to join the League's efforts, such as redeemed France and Mexico. However, the Human League was also petitioned by break away nations such as Moskito and Cygne Noir. An early rule for joining the League was settling all border disputes prior to joining. The League Powers offered mediation services to settle disputes in aid of joining the League, giving birth to the Human League Agency for International Mediation (AIM).

dove%20branch.jpg

A parallel development with the rise of the Human League was the Movement for International Peace. The movement was started by nations that had experienced excessive amounts of fighting within their borders over the past century, such as Mexico, Brazil, Germany, Austro-Bohemia, Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire. This popular movement called upon world leaders to find new ways to resolve disputes and to prevent future wars. The Movement for International Peace was joined by another popular movement, the Wounded Against War Inhumanity, which started with Population War survivors of Malthusian massacres and chemical warfare who sought to ban inhumane and indiscriminate violence in warfare (well in keeping with the Declaration of Human Rights). These peoples' movements would over the next few years have a profound impact on the popular imagination and on world leaders, leading to the Human League ban on developing, stockpiling, and especially use of chemical weapons and any agent of similar horrific or indiscriminate effect such as theorized biological or uraniumic (or other heavy elatomic) weapons. It would also spur the decades long process of military de-escalation and the rise of the Human League's Pax Legion.

disarm-small-arms1.jpg

The victors of the Population War were an odd combination of traditional Liberal nations and former Korsgaardian nations as well as some nations who had little in the way of major ideological underpinnings. Russia was in some ways the most resistant to any international disarmament movement. While Russia had sent massive troop numbers into the wars of the 19th and 20th centuries, the Rodina had been largely spared invasion for the most part and it was popularly perceived that Russian military might had been the shield of the nation (as well as the several somewhat friendly buffer states that Russia had managed to cultivate on its borders over the years). However, Russian intellectuals and the Tsar were anxious to be seen by the world as a more liberal, cultured nation than it had in the past so eventually was able to come to an agreement that ensured retention of enough military forces to defend Russia's borders (and indeed this was a concern of many of the victors given their experience of the aggression of the Malthusians).

Some defeated nations after the extremism of Malthusians had lost all taste for war, such as the Netherlands and Belgique. They passed new constitutions that forever foreswore war and replaced their military with a national police force. They asked the Human League to guarantee their borders and safety in return for their institutionalized pacifism, and this would be another role for the Pax Legion.
P A X L E G I O N
It was recognized within a couple years that the movements towards de-escalation and disarmament as well as some nations' desire to eschew militarism entirely would require an international force to enforce the peace, giving birth to the Human League's Pax Legion. The initial leadership of the Pax Legion was drawn from the Great Powers who had won the Population War for the Human League. However, when it came to designating which national would be the commander of the Legion forces, it was clear that old rivalries between the European Powers of the East and West would preclude those nations initially. However an obvious choice emerged from the relatively pacifistic but powerful nation of the United States of America. Thus it was not surprising that the Pax Legion was structured somewhat along the lines of the Legion of America. However, several renowned national forces would eventually be seconded to the Pax Legion and influence their culture and history, including the Russian Cossacks, Durrani Warriors, Sikhs, Gurkhas, the Samurai Brigade, the Black Watch, the Sable Legion, and countless other elite troops who would find a home for their martial traditions in an international force dedicated to defending the peace. The Pax Legion troops initially carried the weapons provided by their home nations, but a transitional period would see them equipped with the arms being shed by national forces as part of the disarmament process (especially motorised transport, ships and air vehicles), but eventually the Pax Legion would lead the world in the development of less lethal armaments in an ever increasing effort to pacify without destroying. Indeed, the Pax Legion eventually became heavily influenced via some of its United States of China cadre by the works of Sun Tzu and ever sought ways to enforce the peace before war ever need be initiated.

Glen

Here it is with the requested updates. Just let me know if it needs any more fixing!
I used the TOASTER colour scheme, but with my own "Artistic License", such as the DSA colour (As I thought normal Dominion Brown was to dull for them)
The boarders in Africa are a combination of the OTL African Boarders, Rivers, and Guesswork straight lines (As Europeans are normally fond of) I though having a large stip across Africa would look a bit boring without them. I can add my take on internal divisions of other countries if you would want.
View attachment 301163
Your map is missing independent Moskito.

Glen

74.jpg

Despite the best efforts of the more maniacal Malthusians to curtail the population through attrition, the end of the Population War (and the end of most population control measures) saw in the years after an explosion in births called the Big Bounce or the Baby Bounce. How much of the Bounce was fueled by peoples' desires to distance themselves from the Malthusians is up for debate, but one clear part of it was the desire of those war veterans and their loved ones to have families that had been deferred by many during the course of the war.

While virtually everyone after the war disavowed the extremism of the Malthusian Manifesto, the Big Bounce did renew concerns in some quarters regarding the threat of overpopulation, and many nations were willing to support those who voluntarily wished to limit their reproduction, but with coercive methods being cast away and the will of the individual trumping the concerns of society.

Glen

Cropduster_spraying_pesticides.jpg
Irrigation1.jpg

If the 19th century had become defined by the Industrial Revolution, it may be said that the 20th century would come to be defined by the World Agricultural Revolution. Early in the 20th century, more developed nations had happened on greater use of machinery, use of pesticides and fertilizers (ironically several of which owed their origin to developments in gunpowder and explosives for warfare), irrigation, and careful crop selection to see a bounteous boom in food productivity that fully came to fruition in the years after the Population War. The Human League, keenly aware of the harm that food insecurity had caused internationally, established the Agency for Food International Development (AFID) to spread best practices across the globe to increase food production, improve food distribution networks, and provide subsidized funding for nutritionally at risk populations. While the United States of America and the Russian Empire would be the super-powers of agricultural production throughout the 20th century, many other nations would become food self-supporting at the very least. AFID would eventually become a subsidiary of the more ambitious Human League International Health Agency, which also worked to develop access to clean water, sanitation, and medical care, it was built on the firm foundation of AFID and the greatest refutation of Malthusian catastrophism provided by the Human League.

640px-Wheat-haHula-ISRAEL2.JPG

Ha ha ha!
Now, let's slump the world economy so we can MAKE AFRICA GREAT AGAIN!

/s

"When the Europeans send their people, they're not sending their best. They're sending trashes WHO lord above us AFRICANS, along with their COLLABORATIONISTS... I want to make Yoruba great again, I want to make the Ansante, the Xhosa great again. I want to make Africa great again."

– "Ismael X" Drumpf

Glen

"When the Europeans send their people, they're not sending their best. They're sending trashes WHO lord above us AFRICANS, along with their COLLABORATIONISTS... I want to make Yoruba great again, I want to make the Ansante, the Xhosa great again. I want to make Africa great again."

– "Ismael X" Drumpf
Wow that was intense!

Wow that was intense!

Thank you. :happyblush

Considering the repeated triumphs of liberalism TTL, I think they could get decadent enough to be dogmatic, thinking that their style of liberalism is the "end" of history. And so the populism and the hooboys will appear...

And so, I think Africa is ripe for populism

About Ismael Drumpf, considering Yoruba's German...

Also, if you really mean CONFLICT, you could include DSA blacks in the mix.

Long live Ossas. :p

However, how powerful Maghreb is that they managed to get all of Saharan Africa?

Glen

Thank you. :happyblush

Considering the repeated triumphs of liberalism TTL, I think they could get decadent enough to be dogmatic, thinking that their style of liberalism is the "end" of history. And so the populism and the hooboys will appear...

And so, I think Africa is ripe for populism

About Ismael Drumpf, considering Yoruba's German...

Also, if you really mean CONFLICT, you could include DSA blacks in the mix.

Long live Ossas. :p

Wow you really thought that out well!

However, how powerful Maghreb is that they managed to get all of Saharan Africa?

It's not so much as Morocco being powerful (though it is a very prosperous independent state with strong ties to the USA), but rather the rest of North Africa decided they had had enough of being ruled from Istambul so once the die-hard Ottomans were defeated by the Moroccans and their Human League allies the North African peoples called for being ruled by the Moroccan Sultan. It's going to be quite the process for both Morocco and North Africa.

Wow you really thought that out well!

It's not so much as Morocco being powerful (though it is a very prosperous independent state with strong ties to the USA), but rather the rest of North Africa decided they had had enough of being ruled from Istambul so once the die-hard Ottomans were defeated by the Moroccans and their Human League allies the North African peoples called for being ruled by the Moroccan Sultan. It's going to be quite the process for both Morocco and North Africa.

Ok, two more questions: how developed Africa is ITTL? Will the South East Asian colonies get independence?

Glen

While visible light had been understood in part since the time of Newton, electromagnetic radiation of wavelengths beyond visible light were discovered in the early 19th century. William Herschel discovered infrared radiation by using a prism to refract light from the Sun, and detected the infrared (beyond the red part of the spectrum) through an increase in the temperature recorded by thermometer, with ultraviolet (above the violet part of the spectrum) being discovered shortly thereafter. Later in the 19th century longwave and hyperviolet expanded the spectrum.

It was discovered that certain heavy elatoms gave off hyperviolet energy, but also other forms of radiation were discovered through experimentation at the turn of the century. The first type was found to be a high velocity solium centrum, and second appeared to be high speed particles with much the same properties of negatoms except of equal and opposite charge. The seemingly positively charged negatom was quite the quandary.

By the 1930s it became recognized that radiating elatoms would emit high speed sumatoms, and shortly after the Population War, scientists discovered that uranium bombarded by sumatoms would be transmuted into barium, but the process seemed to reduce mass as well as having gained great speeds. This observation proved to be the stimulus for discovery that matter could be converted to energy (and suggested the opposite was possible as well). The 1940s would see the dawning of the Elatomic Era as the power of the Elatom was harnessed for the first time in Elatomic power stations. Early on in the Elatomic Era as part of the research done two new elements were discovered, Vestium and Jovium. It would be discovered over time that the more common but less energetic isotope of Uranium could however be converted into Jovium and Jovium would become one of the major fuel sources for Elatomic Power Generation.

plutonium-bohr-model.png