Gurkani Alam

It's true! At last...

By the way if anyone who speaks more Farsi than me (i.e. any!) can correct my translations in the ATL I would be most grateful (e.g. is Gurkani Alam really Farsi for Mughal World?)...

I've been browsing through it over the last couple of days, and think it's definitely another triumph for our friend Tony.

Don't know very much about the initial POD, but the level of detail is - as ever - really quite something...

It's true! At last...

By the way if anyone who speaks more Farsi than me (i.e. any!) can correct my translations in the ATL I would be most grateful (e.g. is Gurkani Alam really Farsi for Mughal World?)...

I think the term is true, because the Mughals styled themselves as "Gurkani" which I very well doubt you have yet known about this..... :);)

@ AE : Seconded here, AE :D !!

I think overall this is a :cool: TL !! I knew my pain of waiting for this TL would be worth it.:cool:

Unfortunately, there are few things that has risen my evil urge for nitpicking up, therefore..... excuse me.....:D

I would raise some comments in regards of three things which seems quite odd for me :

1) The first is about the Federation of "Java". If only this federation only encompasses Southern Kalimantan (and maybe also the Moluccas, but I think it'll be even less likely) other than Java than perhaps it would be no problem to use that name. But this Federation of "Java" also include the Bugisians Sultanate of Makassar which I seriously doubt they would gonna be so Javanized up to the point that they would also participate to protect "the Javanese way of life". The Bugisians possess a way to strong sense of national identity for that, even though that it seems ITTL that Mataram is the "Prussia" of this union. On the top of all things, you also have yet to give us any sign of any conquest by Mataram on the whole territories that constitute the Federation.
I think a more compromisial name would be more suitable for this union.:) This federation was inspired by and modeled on Dakshina Nad after all....

2) The second is about the flag of this Federation. It's nice and I like it :cool:. But your claim that the federation's flag is based on the traditional flag of Mataram Sultanate is even more interesting to me. ;)

3) And the last but I don't know if this is the least, is about the Russian Anatolia :)eek::eek::eek::eek:). I personally think that this part isn't well enough fleshed out....

Last edited:
I loved the timeline and thought it was above and beyond (besides Thandes) one of the best fleshed out timelines i have ever seen. However, one thing that struck me as odd was the rapid pace of technological progression. I'm not saying it couldnt happen, its just that some devices (computers, missiles and a few others) happened well before when they happened in OTL with out a lot of explanation as to why thus making me scratch my head and say huh? a lot. I'm no expert on technology and the history of technology but yeah... Oh and whats with the comets? I was kinda confused that comets featured a lot in this timeline without effecting the world overall. Just some things i twigged on, but it was a fun read.

I'll have a look and report back

It's true! At last...

Shouldn't you have asked us before? :rolleyes::D

Thanks for the kind comments, all! :D

And to address the nitpicks:

I would raise some comments in regards of three things which seems quite odd for me :

1) [snip].
I think a more compromisial name would be more suitable for this union.:) This federation was inspired by and modeled on Dakshina Nad after all....

Not an unfair point. I'll rename in the Federarion of Sunda instead, after the islands in which it is situated.

Many of the territories of the Federation were not conquered but incorporated by diplomatic means, often helped by their not wanting to be takne over by (for example) the Mughals. I may add more details at some point if I feel inspired to do so...

2) The second is about the flag of this Federation. It's nice and I like it :cool:. But your claim that the federation's flag is based on the traditional flag of Mataram Sultanate is even more interesting to me. ;)

Oh yes. Whoops. It's actually the flag of the city/sultanate of Bantem (or Bantan), which is now the capital of the Federation, and where the pact that formed it was signed.

3) And the last but I don't know if this is the least, is about the Russian Anatolia :)eek::eek::eek::eek:). I personally think that this part isn't well enough fleshed out....

Sorry, but for the moment it's fleshed out enough for me! Again if I feel inspired to do so I may flesh it out more later...

Hendryk

Banned
I shall forthwith have a look at it.

In the mid-seventeenth century, the Mughal Empire in northern India was one of the largest, wealthiest, most powerful, most cultured and most religiously tolerant states on the face of the Earth. By the early eighteenth century the Mughal Empire was a shadow of its former self, economically and politically ruined by decades of war under the religious zealotry of the emperor Aurangzeb. This left the Indian sub-continent open to the colonial ambitions of the European powers, resulting in the eventual colonisation and control of India under the British.

But what if upon the death of their father, Shah Jahan, Aurangzeb did not become Mughal Emperor but instead one of his religiously-tolerant brothers took the throne? Someone who continued the Mughal tradition of religious tolerance and cultural diversity that was a great cornerstone of the Mughal Empire up to that point?
A religious bigot who inherits a wealthy multicultural empire and whose misguided policies drive it to ruin?

The more things change...

Thande

Donor
Tony's TLs are always awesome in their research and detail, and I like the way one gets a snapshot of the world in the 'now' (or 2000).

I don't like the prejudices that informed the style of writing, but I don't think that significantly impacted on the actual events of the TL, which is the important part.

It could also use a better world map - that one has a few dodgy OTL borders left on it...

I'm also curious as to the names "Tunisitania" and "Tripolisia".

They don't make sense...

They should be "Tunisia" and "Tripolitania" respectively...