Bad Flag Thread

fbe9f526f64749aecf0aa1e93d82266d.jpg

Is this actually the flag of the city of Detroit? Because no wonder it became bankrupt, because in the background you see the city on fire, while the two women are wondering what the hell is going on. Seriously this looks fake, but I found it on Google Images, and it looks real by the way it looks.
Pretty much every city and municipality in the world has a Wikipedia page (in at least one language). They will usually have the flag and CoA.

And yes.

1411563124-c25f57e38d04867cd5507cbbb4e1832c-600x399.png

This was the flag of Mali after it became independent from France. Reason I consider it really bad is because obviously you can tell a stick figure must be the worse thing you can do by putting it on a flag.
It's a traditional motif called kanaga. It was removed because Muslims objected, no depictions of humans allowed.

Occasionally new Dutch municipalities are created (usually by mergers) and many of the new flags suffer from the same symptoms.
326px-Bronckhorst_vlag.svg.png

320px-Logo_montferland.svg.png

320px-Hollands_kroon_vlag.svg.png

Older more traditional municipal flags tend to be based on motifs and colour scheme of the CoA and are usually quite nice.
Example Gemeente Bergh:
320px-Bergh_vlag.svg.png

The Flag of San Francisco...

Flag_of_San_Francisco.svg

Yes, as a local, I know that it indeed has a legitimate pedigree in a historical and artistic context.

But seriously...look at that poor thing. That's not an emblem you proudly wear on your shoulder. It's not even good for a bumper sticker.

You could indeed come up with something better in a paint program in five minutes. Okay, maybe thirty, if you don't want to just outright rip off the Starfleet Academy emblem.

The Flag of San Francisco...

Flag_of_San_Francisco.svg

Yes, as a local, I know that it indeed has a legitimate pedigree in a historical and artistic context.

But seriously...look at that poor thing. That's not an emblem you proudly wear on your shoulder. It's not even good for a bumper sticker.

You could indeed come up with something better in a paint program in five minutes. Okay, maybe thirty, if you don't want to just outright rip off the Starfleet Academy emblem.
Honestly I like it a lot. Except for the giant SAN FRANCISCO, I'm a fan of the Phoenix and the design.

Oh, Phoenixes are dandy, don't get me wrong. I just like them better when they don't look like a chicken squatting on a burger king crown. In crayon.

There are, in fact, a number of other US city flags that use quite fine designs featuring a phoenix—including Phoenix, Az, which adopted a couple of rather nice, even iconic, ones some ten and ninety years after San Francisco's was adopted.
CxcmRaa.gif
—and, heck, I even found a lovely redesigned (I think "salvaged," personally) unofficial version of the SF flag:

SF_FlagFINAL.png

But, maybe that's just me, as I've always been a fan of Art Deco-esque designs. And charges on fields that look less like something scooped up on a sheet of tissue paper. ;)

Oh, Phoenixes are dandy, don't get me wrong. I just like them better when they don't look like a chicken squatting on a burger king crown. In crayon.

There are, in fact, a number of other US city flags that use quite fine designs featuring a phoenix—including Phoenix, Az, which adopted a couple of rather nice, even iconic, ones some ten and ninety years after San Francisco's was adopted.
CxcmRaa.gif
—and, heck, I even found a lovely redesigned (I think "salvaged," personally) unofficial version of the SF flag:

SF_FlagFINAL.png

But, maybe that's just me, as I've always been a fan of Art Deco-esque designs. And charges on fields that look less like something scooped up on a sheet of tissue paper. ;)

Honestly, the San Francisco is written in a magic-ish font. The first thing that came into my mind was Harry Potter.
And the Eagle, while not as bad as the clip art monstrosity, it is still something i wouldn't consider putting on flag. That's your fault though. Eagles that are different than the Heraldic Eagle never look good on flags. Take this flag of the Free State of Prussia:
360px-Flag_of_Prussia_(1918%E2%80%931933).svg.png

The eagle is way too derpy. Something Similar applies to San Francisco(both the original and your version)

Honestly, the San Francisco is written in a magic-ish font. The first thing that came into my mind was Harry Potter.

Hey, $7 Billion cumulative gross at the box office, not counting home media sales? When it comes to sources for flag elements, you could pick a hell of a lot worse. ;)

And, alas, it's only "my" flag in the sense that I picked it out of the jumble of results from a Google image search.

And the Eagle, while not as bad as the clip art monstrosity, it is still something i wouldn't consider putting on flag. That's your fault though. Eagles that are different than the Heraldic Eagle never look good on flags. Take this flag of the Free State of Prussia:
360px-Flag_of_Prussia_(1918%E2%80%931933).svg.png

The eagle is way too derpy. Something Similar applies to San Francisco(both the original and your version)
It looks like a eagle saying "OH HELL NAH!"

Here is the flag of Suipacha, a partiso in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The contest - and the winning design) - were made by Planet Skoria, an amateur radio station.
[This isn't just a Wikipedia version with awful clip art. This is the real flag.]

800px-BANDERA_SUIPACHA.jpg
Planeta_Skoria_%28creadores_de_la_bandera_de_suipacha%29_con_el_intendente_Delfino.jpg

The town of Cary, North Carolina's flag isn't great.
14504477-1433792900-640x360.jpg

Having the town seal, name, and location is one thing, but the random yellow border is something else entirely.

Here is the flag of Suipacha, a partiso in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The contest - and the winning design) - were made by Planet Skoria, an amateur radio station.
[This isn't just a Wikipedia version with awful clip art. This is the real flag.]
Among the many things that bother me about this is that the emoji-esque sun is clearly at a different layer than its rays.

Now that is a new level of awful.

Talking about bad Argentine flags, this was supposed to be the flag of my home province of Chaco. It was created by a graphic designer and, while declared official for a time, most citizens considered it ugly and 'a painting rather than a flag'. It was never even displayed, and thank God for that:

800px-Bandera_chaco.svg.png

It was replaced by this one, that looks a lot better. I particulary like how the green and blue goes together:
800px-Bandera_de_la_Provincia_del_Chaco.svg.png

Also, I dislike the flag of my other province, Corrientes. While not at 'corporate clip-art logo' levels of bad, it seems to go against all rules of flag design:

200px-Bandera_de_la_Provincia_de_Corrientes.svg.png

The old flg from the Liga de los Pueblos Libres is only known to historians and nerds like me, but it looks a lot better:

1-Corr-bandera.gif

The flag for Corrientes city also looks nicer, and has a lot of city-specific symbolism:

200px-Bandera_ciudad_de_Corrientes_-_Corrientes_-_Argentina.png