Alternate Electoral Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nanwe - I still need a reply to this

You don't need a reply, I'm not forced to reply to anyone, I do it out of politeness or if I have something to say.

That being said, as I previously said (and Alex reiterated), AFAIK there's no data below municipality level outside of the main cities or the pedanías (town that depend on bigger towns for administration, mostly in southern Spain). So unless I was going to get paid or make it the topic of a doctoral thesis I'd not try to do this.

As for your suggestion, you're telling me to help you with giving 10 seats each to every autonomous region of Spain? You don't need my help for that. You can do it yourself with the Interior Ministry's database that I already linked and with an online calculator for electoral systems - I use D'Hont, which you can find here: http://icon.cat/util/elections.

Wasn't Greer in Southwest Oklahoma? Unless Greer moved ITTL.
Yep, but to really rub in the comparison to the tensions over Greer county OTL and this border region of Sequoyah ITTL I just called it Greer county. Plus since there are no native reservations there OTL I had no clue what else to call it.

OK, that's fantastic. Where did you get the boundaries for the tribal divisions from?
Thanks! And I based those regions roughly off of this map found here:
Okterritory.png

Yep, but to really rub in the comparison to the tensions over Greer county OTL and this border region of Sequoyah ITTL I just called it Greer county. Plus since there are no native reservations there OTL I had no clue what else to call it.

Thanks! And I based those regions roughly off of this map found here:
Okterritory.png

Hello. You could be useful for the World-Raj at some point...

What do you all think a Kasich-Clinton matchup would have looked like electorally? I'm curious as to how other GOP candidates would have done against Clinton.

What do you all think a Kasich-Clinton matchup would have looked like electorally? I'm curious as to how other GOP candidates would have done against Clinton.

Here is my personal opinion.

upload_2016-12-22_20-54-16.png

Lighter states are those won by a margin of less than 10%.

KASICH/PENCE: 285
CLINTON/KAINE: 253

Kasich overall does very well in many states, gaining ground amongst moderates and swinging a lot of Bernie supporters who were only lukewarm about Clinton. However, Kasich struggles to energise the base, leading to poor performances in the South.

To start, the Midwest goes even more Republican than it does OTL, given that both the President and VP would be from the region. Even solid-blue Minnesota swings red by a narrow margin, while Iowa and Ohio are barely even considered swing states by the time election night comes around. The good performances here also benefit Kasich in Pennsylvania, where he wins by a similar margin to Trump, and also helps in securing Nebraska's 2nd district which was briefly in play.

On the Atlantic seaboard, Kasich does well in the North, securing many moderates in New Hampshire. Maine comes down to an even finer margin than it did for Trump, but just comes in for Clinton. However, the story of the night is in the South, where many white Republicans simply stay home, viewing Kasich as too moderate. Clinton secures North Carolina and Florida easily, whilst bringing Georgia into a tight race and even closing the gap in South Carolina. Despite a poll showing her ahead in Bill's home state of Arkansas, Kasich still wins here handily, though Texas is more of a struggle for him, with the large state coming within 5%.

Out West, Colorado proves to be the closest state of all. Middle class voters in the Denver suburbs are more approving of Kasich than Trump however, and this proves to make all the difference. In the end, Kasich wins by only 7000 votes out of over two million. Nevada is also very close, but remains in the Clinton camp due to low turnout in Northern Nevada. Evan McMullin does not contest Utah in this timeline, but considering Kasich's lukewarm reception amongst conservatives, Utah could have been much closer than OTL if McMullin had challenged. Lastly, Oregon is a major shock in the election, where large numbers of Bernie supporters defect to Kasich, creating a surprising swing state. Despite heavy campaigning from the Republicans in the state, Clinton wins by a margin of 50-44.

Kasich has a moderate image, but is actually rather conservative. I think if he gets the nomination he has that streak highlighted when campaigning in the south. McMullin seems like a Kasich supporter so I don't think he would run. Kasich does not get as much support in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania owing to his establishment image.

Wallet

Banned
Here is the seventh installment in my alternate American election series.

Rhode Island is the smallest state in the whole Union, however one of the most important politically. Many pundits have called Rhode Island the "Alabama of New England," in the sense that similar to how Alabama is unlike the rest of the Deep South with actually competitive elections, so too is Rhode Island unlike the rest of Republican New England. This is mainly due to the heavily Labor city of Providence, as its surrounding metro which has a large population of poor minorities.

However unlike in Alabama where both sides have held government around the same number of times, in Rhode Island the Republicans have held control 2 out of 3 times, not as extreme as deep blue New Hampshire or Connecticut, but still heavily leaning Republican. The cause for this lean is the existence of FPTP districts in the senate, a heavily gerrymandered legislative bodies which has managed to survive despite the Conservative Revolution's democratizing reforms. These FPTP districts are also ingrained into the Constitution of Rhode Island, which requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers to be changed, so even in 1992 when the Labor party held slim majorities in both the House and Senate an amendment remained out of the question.

The final straw was broken in 2012 when even though the Labor party won the popular vote 51% to the Republicans 44% they still failed to gained a majority in the Senate. With the Senate of Rhode Island being elected only every four years, as is the case in most Northeastern states, the incoming four years of deadlock despite holding an absolute majority of votes left the people up in arms. Mass protests outside the Republican's office were held for the next six straight weeks demanding a reform of the senate to a more proportional system. As a result of these protests, a single issue party was formed called the Moderate Moose Party, aiming to unite centrist voters from both Labor and the Republican parties in order to change the senate to Mixed Member Proportional, a system already found in the Progressive state of Vermont.

In the election of 2014 the Moderate Moose Party managed to gain an impressive 12 seats, mostly from the greater Warwick area which was forming a swing area between Labor and the Republicans. Even though a Labor-MMP coalition held a large majority in the House the Republican senate turned to obstructionism to prevent them from passing any bills, hoping to discredit the MMP's legitimacy as a governing party.

This move backfired spectacularly in 2016, featuring the most immediate rise of a third party in Rhode Island's history. From a mere 12 seats the Moderate Moose Party managed to secure 30 seats in the House and 14 seats. Dozens of politicians across Southern and Eastern Rhode Island who had held their positions for decades had their political careers destroyed in an instant. For the first time since the founding of the Republican party over 150 years ago the Grand Old Party was reduced to less than a third of both House and Senate seats.

With the Moderate Moose Party having gone from nonexistent to the largest party in both chambers of the legislature in less than four years, and through their coalition with Labor held a super majority in the Rhode Island state legislature. Thus the so called "Moose Amendment" was quickly passed, letting Rhode Island become the second state in the Union to create a mixed-member proportional senate.

Government:
Moderate Moose Party - Formed in 2013 by centrists who were fed up with the archaic ways of the Grand Old Party their meteoric rise to power has made them the most successful third party created in the 21st century. While their number one position is the changing of the senate to a MMP system, the rest of platform includes "common sense" policies such as the decriminalization of marijuana, pension reform for government employees, the lowering of the corporate tax, and an increase of the capital gains tax.
Labor - One of the big two of Rhode Island, they have been pushed down to third place as most of their white catholic have moved to the MMP. At first most of the Labor hardliners were skeptical of the Moderate Moose Party's intentions, seeing their advocacy of pension reform and push for decriminalization of marijuana as signs that they want to become a branch of the Progressives. Nevertheless they remain grateful of their reform to the senate, with a Mixed Member Proportional system ensuring that the Republicans' gerrymanders are unable to inhibit the will of the masses.

Opposition:
Republicans - As in most of New England, the Republicans of Rhode Island leans to the left socially and to the right economically, supporting gun control and the right to free abortions while keeping taxes low and welfare at a minimum. Their embarrassing loss in both the House and Senate to super majority coalitions have left the Rhode Island Republican party into panic mode, with their leader John Fung resigning and the federal Republican party launching a major autopsy of the election to prevent the Ocean State from becoming another Vermont.
Greens - While not nearly as strong as they are in other states such as Maine or Massachusetts the Green Party of Rhode Island has still managed to carve out a solid base among college students and ecologically minded liberals, though the rapid expansion of the Moderate Moose Party has lost them a few seats.

rhode_island_by_moralisticcommunist-darxlk7.png

Credit for the basemap goes to Wikipedia.
Can you do Tennessee?

View attachment 300650
Lighter states are those won by a margin of less than 10%.

KASICH/PENCE: 285
CLINTON/KAINE: 253

Why Pence for his VP, out of curiosity?

Kasich has a moderate image, but is actually rather conservative. I think if he gets the nomination he has that streak highlighted when campaigning in the south. McMullin seems like a Kasich supporter so I don't think he would run. Kasich does not get as much support in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania owing to his establishment image.

Since you were the other person to respond to my question, same question for you basically: Why did you have Kasich pick the VP you had him pick...wouldn't Brewer be too far right for him?

So I decided to try and make the Netherlands' electoral system less proportional by establishing provincial constituencies or in 3 cases, constituencies below the province level based on the kieskrings. So 129 seats are allocated per constituency on the basis of population, 1 is reserved for the three Dutch islands in the Caribbean and then 20 are used as levelling seats for any party that reaches 3% of the national vote. Turns out that 20 seats were not enough to compensate the considerable advantage that the PvdA and the VVD obtained in the constituency seats.

The net result is that many of the testimonial parties (50PLUS, PvdD, SGP, GroenLinks and almost the CU) were left out of the Dutch lower chamber, the Tweede Kamer. Thanks to the levelling seats, the middle-sized parties manage to keep their representation more or less the same as OTL, whereas the two main parties are greatly benefited by the system. I guess we could say that this reinforced PR system, thanks to its combination of D'Hont and small constituencies (the average constituency electes 8 members) adds to polarisation between two main, antagonistic parties.

Results:

VVD (conservative liberal): 48 seats (41 OTL, +7)
PvdA (social democrat): 44 seats (38 OTL, +6)
PVV (far-right): 15 seats (15 OTL, =)
SP (far-left): 14 seats (15 OTL, -1)
CDA (Christian democrat): 13 seats (13 OTL, =)
D66 (social liberal): 12 seats (12 OTL, =)
ChristenUnie (Christian left-ish): 4 seats (5 OTL, -1)
GroenLinks (green left): 0 seats (4 OTL, -4)
SGP (Calvinist theocracy): 0 seats (3 OTL, -3)
PvdD (animal rights): 0 seats (2 OTL, -2)
50PLUS (pensioners' rights): 0 seats (2 OTL, -2)

model%20NL%202012%20election.png

I guess it's not something they have a lot of native use for in the Netherlands.

Probably, yeah. Not much of a need for any of that when a party can get into parliament with 0.6% of the vote.

But I suppose I could ask a Dutch person to come up with a better Dutch word for it, something like 'beloningszetels' or 'compensatiezetels'

Status
Not open for further replies.