Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

In 1937, Human League forces operating out of the Chakri Empire and the United States of China were able to secure Indochina from Malthusian forces. While the USC forces were the primary occupation force for Spanish Indochina, the Chakri Empire held sway over the Bamar homeland. With these moves Southeast Asia was mostly pacified leaving the British Empire free to deal with the United Nationalities of India.
large_000000.jpg

Glen

The United Nationalities of India was a massive land but by the middle of the war it found itself surrounded.

British Empire, American, and Moroccan forces held the Suez.
The Durrani Empire & Russian forces were already in Northern India, despite the efforts of UNI Gurkha forces.
The British, Southron, and Dominion of the British Australias forces held the Southern Indian Ocean.
The United States of China held the East.
The Chakri Empire with British Imperial support held the rest of Southeast Asia.

The British expanded out from their bulwarks on the Indian Coast and opened up new fronts. As the noose around the UNI forces closed, many of the 'Princes' of the Princely States withdrew their support from the Sultan's Malthusian government. Still Tipu Sultan, true to his namesake, remained defiant.

UNI Reserves.png

rabaul43-01s.jpg

Glen

Initially Americans had flocked to enlist at President Roosevelt's call. Many an American man had grown up on tales of the heroism of the Roosevelt Brothers in print, kinees, and in war games. The ten sided dice of youth were now replaced with the real weapons of war. However, as the war ground on and reports from the front grew grimmer, especially with tales of the take-no-prisoners policy and then the use of chemical weapons, it had a sobering effect on the American populace. Given the nature of the Population War, it is more surprising that it didn't take longer for the Call to not meet manpower quotas. The rest of the Human League had resorted to conscription long before. However, President Roosevelt felt that conscription was against the principles of America. His compromise was to allow every week a listing of every man who had received the Call to be published in their hometown papers, followed the next week by the list of those who had answered the Call.
16181_send_more_men_770.jpg

That's an interesting alternate take on conscription in America. Of course, they'll probably have to eventually create a draft anyways (though IOTL WW2, didn't they get almost all of what they needed from Volunteers anyways, so great was the war enthusiasm after Pearl Harbor?), but it's a very different start.

Glen

That's an interesting alternate take on conscription in America. Of course, they'll probably have to eventually create a draft anyways (though IOTL WW2, didn't they get almost all of what they needed from Volunteers anyways, so great was the war enthusiasm after Pearl Harbor?), but it's a very different start.

I find it an interesting way to go about it and your comment regarding OTL WW2 is an added item that I appreciate.

It's a very different start and a very different war for sure.

I'm sorry if the issue has already been addressed, but I am only on page 29 of 265 of the TL so far. With the division of North America between the USA and BSA, how did the divergence or evolution of the English language proceed? I've always been fascinated at the speed in OTL of how the different branches of English split off and changed (British, Australian, American, etc.)

I'm sorry if the issue has already been addressed, but I am only on page 29 of 265 of the TL so far. With the division of North America between the USA and BSA, how did the divergence or evolution of the English language proceed? I've always been fascinated at the speed in OTL of how the different branches of English split off and changed (British, Australian, American, etc.)

There are a few posts that cover this specifically, so fear not, and even better he covers differing holiday traditions between the two and so on. Glen really has one of the most comprehensive worldbuilding ever here. I mean, who else covers electrical plugs?!

But as to language, here's a phrase that both Yankee and Southron use: "Straight as The Thirty-Six-Thirty!"

Glen

There are a few posts that cover this specifically, so fear not, and even better he covers differing holiday traditions between the two and so on. Glen really has one of the most comprehensive worldbuilding ever here. I mean, who else covers electrical plugs?!

But as to language, here's a phrase that both Yankee and Southron use: "Straight as The Thirty-Six-Thirty!"

Welcome to the timeline of DSA, GamingWeasel!

And thank you Cylon Number 14 for your kind words regarding the worldbuilding of this timeline. Electrical plugs indeed!

A discussion of the evolution of the North American English family of dialects would be worthy of a few more updates. The simplest way to envision the difference between TTL's USA and BSA accents would be to say that Americans sound like they speak OTL's General American/Canadian American and Southrons sound like they speak OTL's Southern American. However going further I would also note that TTL's America has more borrowing and flavoring from French than OTL's, and in the BSA more borrowing and flavoring of Spanish than OTL's. The spelling of English in TTL's USA early on is very similar to OTL American spelling conventions (both having been sent on that trajectory by Noah Webster), whereas BSA uses British spelling conventions.

The dialects tend to blur in sound on the 36-30 border but retain a sharper distinction in spelling. In the 20th century the popularity in America of Southron music and the Kinee industry of Albion starts to have influence on American English.

In terms of differences between OTL and TTL English the biggest divergences are in slang terms and phrases (and words borrowed from it) and technical/scientific terms developed after the 18th century.

Glen

310px-Holten-Rijssen_April_1945.jpg

In 1938, the Population War culminated in the collapse of the Malthusian Manifesto at the hands of Human League forces. The first core Malthusian Manifesto nation to fall to the Human League was the Netherlands. With German and British Imperial forces and American Legionnaires being bolstered by anti-Malthusian loyalist brigades the Human League took the small but influencial Malthusian led nation and started into neighboring Belgique. The leader of the Malthusian Netherlands, Aldert Van Der Bogard, and many of the top echelons of the Malthusian government were found dead, having committed suicide rather than face Human League justice for their crimes against humanity. A message from Van Der Bogard was released before Human League forces could stop it, stating that if faced with defeat, the last service Malthusians could provide to a world on the verge of collapse was to take their own lives. "Doing a Bogard" would become another euphemism for suicide in the years to come.

suicides1.jpg

Glen

What's up in Germany? Are the Malthuses(TM) pushed back?

There are still some pockets of partisans, but the Empire has been pacified - Brandenburg is occupied by Prussia-Poland however so that's a bit of a sore point, but on the other hand the Loyalist Germans aren't looking to start a second war...yet...

Welcome to the timeline of DSA, GamingWeasel!

And thank you Cylon Number 14 for your kind words regarding the worldbuilding of this timeline. Electrical plugs indeed!

A discussion of the evolution of the North American English family of dialects would be worthy of a few more updates. The simplest way to envision the difference between TTL's USA and BSA accents would be to say that Americans sound like they speak OTL's General American/Canadian American and Southrons sound like they speak OTL's Southern American. However going further I would also note that TTL's America has more borrowing and flavoring from French than OTL's, and in the BSA more borrowing and flavoring of Spanish than OTL's. The spelling of English in TTL's USA early on is very similar to OTL American spelling conventions (both having been sent on that trajectory by Noah Webster), whereas BSA uses British spelling conventions.

The dialects tend to blur in sound on the 36-30 border but retain a sharper distinction in spelling. In the 20th century the popularity in America of Southron music and the Kinee industry of Albion starts to have influence on American English.

In terms of differences between OTL and TTL English the biggest divergences are in slang terms and phrases (and words borrowed from it) and technical/scientific terms developed after the 18th century.

Thanks much for the interesting descriptions about language. Another thing I've been wondering is if your "Black Companies" and "Sable Legion" is a tangential reference to the Black Company series of books by Glen Cook.

Is there a conspiracy that the reason why the Malthusians intimated the Population War was to just kill A LOT of people in order to stem the global population?

Glen

Thanks much for the interesting descriptions about language. Another thing I've been wondering is if your "Black Companies" and "Sable Legion" is a tangential reference to the Black Company series of books by Glen Cook.

Yes in fact they are but only for the names - I LOVED that series - I chatted with Glen Cook about it once upon a time - got one of his signed black company books hiding out in my library...

Glen

Is there a conspiracy that the reason why the Malthusians intimated the Population War was to just kill A LOT of people in order to stem the global population?
Mwahahaha...let's just say the Malthusians are TRUE BELIEVERS out to save the world from overpopulation - if they couldn't get the rest of the world to curb Population voluntarily, a war of attrition to cut down their population was considered a necessary evil and what the nay-Sayers brought on themselves. And if they in the end couldn't win the war, if they could bring down the Population enough as they went down in a blaze of glory, that's a sacrifice they'd willingly make...if the other nations agreed to Malthusian terms, the world wins, if the Malthusians defeat the other nations, the world wins, if the Malthusians bleed the other nations, the world wins, and even if the other nations defeat the Malthusians, so long as enough Population is decreased in the process, the world wins...

Glen

The fall of Paris to Human League forces was almost a human tragedy of epic proportions. A maddened Alexandre Sartre considered many ways to bring death to the capitol of his proclaimed French Republic. While some of his rabid coterie of advisers suggested planting explosives Sartre rejected the destruction of the precious architecture of Paris which he considered the birthright of future generations (should there be a future). More seriously considered was unleashing chemical weapons on the populace, but this was rejected as too gruesome a fate for the people of Paris. Finally the inner circle decided to poison the water supply to bring eternal sleep to the city. However, the French Royalist Underground was able to intercept the poisoners before their plan could come to fruition even as Human League forces closed in on the city. Sartre however had his own supply of poison, and followed the example of his colleague to the north, ending the Second French Republic.

640px-American_troops_march_down_the_Champs_Elysees_crop.jpg

The fall of Paris to Human League forces was almost a human tragedy of epic proportions. A maddened Alexandre Sartre considered many ways to bring death to the capitol of his proclaimed French Republic. While some of his rabid coterie of advisers suggested planting explosives Sartre rejected the destruction of the precious architecture of Paris which he considered the birthright of future generations (should there be a future). More seriously considered was unleashing chemical weapons on the populace, but this was rejected as too gruesome a fate for the people of Paris. Finally the inner circle decided to poison the water supply to bring eternal sleep to the city. However, the French Royalist Underground was able to intercept the poisoners before their plan could come to fruition even as Human League forces closed in on the city. Sartre however had his own supply of poison, and followed the example of his colleague to the north, ending the Second French Republic.

640px-American_troops_march_down_the_Champs_Elysees_crop.jpg

How did they get through that damned BENELUX & FRANCE?

Don't we focus on tactics, strategy & other stuff? Oh.

Glen

How did they get through that damned BENELUX & FRANCE?

Don't we focus on tactics, strategy & other stuff? Oh.

My approach is to paint the war in broad strokes and highlight some key events, but not to give a blow by blow description of the Wars. It is more meant to give you a flavor of the war rather than to tell you every battle.

The Human League swept down from the conquered Netherlands and the German Empire through Belgique. The Human League forces had superior use of combined arms, better armor, and won the war in the air (barely). I skipped over the fall of Belgique as it was not the most politically salient of the events on this front. Is that the information you were looking for, or was there something else I could provide you?

My approach is to paint the war in broad strokes and highlight some key events, but not to give a blow by blow description of the Wars. It is more meant to give you a flavor of the war rather than to tell you every battle.

The Human League swept down from the conquered Netherlands and the German Empire through Belgique. The Human League forces had superior use of combined arms, better armor, and won the war in the air (barely). I skipped over the fall of Belgique as it was not the most politically salient of the events on this front. Is that the information you were looking for, or was there something else I could provide you?

Can we fill-in the gaps?