Collaborative Worldbuilding Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks. I'm here to propose the idea of a collaborative world-building project based around the following premises:

0.- This is a world different from ours, it may have most of the same natural laws but definitively not all of them. For example, there is magic (we'll see how organized and how corporeal/present against subtle), different flora and fauna, maybe in addition to our own, maybe partially composed of mythical creatures as well as human/semi-human ones. I know there are folks here who know much more than me about climates, linguistics, tectonics and so forth who could make it more consistent than most "fantasy" universes.
1.- There was once a world where magic existed which went through several ages of glory and prosperity interleaved with dark ages, perhaps dating back to when the gods roamed the land.
2.- A cataclysm, worse than the other came and erased most of the magic, making it exist at the fringes of civilization and well hidden, completely forgotten.
3.- This gave birth to a society very much like our own in terms of what forces moved it and it's history.
4.- An event brought back this magic a changed the world during an age that wasn't medieval, but more modern in it's scope. I was thinking in between the Renaissance and the Belle Époque.
5.- If we have the motivation, perhaps take this into the space age.

Here is a map I've been working on and off since I started this thread if anyone wished to collaborate, feel more than welcome.

Collaborative Worldbuilding Project.png

Nice, unlike other world-building projects, I'll try to circumvent what made them stagnate and let you work on what you wish to and then we assign them together a part in the history of the cycle of ages or in the last age depending on how the nation is. Then we can work backwards and maybe construct more of the background. You can try with non-humans as well. No problem.

What if there are multiple colonial powers plus a parralel to the early US called the United Republics?

It seems like nice setting, although I would diminish a little the power of the US-parallel so as to have a multi-polar world.

Which year, technology-wise, are you thinking of?

Also, I think we can both come up with something better for a name.

An update:

I feel some of the landmasses are a little blobby, feel free to give them a revision if you feel it is too much.

Update:

Count me in! I can't do anything with the map but I could help with lore. Where would you situate the major rivers of this world?

On the major rivers issue:

- One from the centre of the large continent with the inland sea in the west towards the circular sea in the middle of the three (at the moment) main continents.
- One along the Equator of the second largest continent.
- Several discharging into the island sea.
- Maybe one from the inland sea through the lakes and exiting in the bay south of them.

EDIT: I'm working on a map with the rivers I described.

Last edited:
The geography in this world looks rather strange. A result of the cataclysm, I suppose?

Yes, also, it is part of the idea not to worry about the geography as much as many other world-building attempts in an effort to save it from future stagnation. If we have time and knowledgable enough people involved we can correct it.

I hope this isn't neither the only map nor the only world we produce, but we can manage with one.

@AlternateCountries1234567 , here are the main rivers in the world at the moment.

View attachment 299009

I'd say the river with the delta draining into the inland sea on the Southern continent would be home to the first civilization, but that might not be the case if humans develop on a continent far away from it. Which continent do humans evolve on? Modern humans, not humans in general. Or does another sentient species dominate? Are multiple present?

Status
Not open for further replies.