Challenge:Polynesian America

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
WI there were no Native Americans and instead the Americas were settled by the Polynesians? What is the earliest they could have gotten there and how fast could their population have expanded?

Very interesting! I'm not sure how early they couyld have arrived, but I believe that the latter they could have come is around 1200 A.D. or 1300 A.D.

This is the first part of an article fom the NY Times, which speaks of the Possibility of the presence of Polynnesians in America IOTL!:

"First Chickens in Americas Were Brought From Polynesia

Why did the chicken cross the Pacific Ocean? To get to the other side, in South America. How? By Polynesian canoes, which apparently arrived at least 100 years before Europeans settled the continent.
That is the conclusion of an international research team, which reported yesterday that it had found “the first unequivocal evidence for a pre-European introduction of chickens to South America,” or presumably anywhere in the New World.
The researchers said that bones buried on the South American coast were from chickens that lived between 1304 and 1424. Pottery at the site was from a similar or earlier time. A DNA analysis linked the bones, which were excavated at El Arenal on the Arauco Peninsula in south central Chile, to chickens from Polynesian islands..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/05/sc...b35c&ei=5 070

Eh, I made A TL about this before. I realized that it was likely to lead too both the Americans and Europeans wiping each other out when they reach each other, because the Poltnesians would have pigs and chickens. New Diseases would develope relatvely quickly.

Eh, I made A TL about this before. I realized that it was likely to lead too both the Americans and Europeans wiping each other out when they reach each other, because the Poltnesians would have pigs and chickens. New Diseases would develope relatvely quickly.

Atom, is there a link to this TL? Because it would be interesting to read it, even if it's unfinished...