Federal Union Capital if Maryland Seceded

Considering the current trend of relocating the Confederate Capital should this, that, or something happen, how about a Union thread for a change of pace?

So what if the slave owning state of Maryland, which was supposed to be "neutral" in the OTL, actually seceded from the Union & forced the removal, even if temporary, of the Federal capital from Washington DC to somewhere else?

So where is this somewhere else & why?

Discuss.

Perhaps Philadelphia? Lincoln's policies weren't the most popular in NYC, and some might consider Boston too far north. Anything further west probably wouldn't work at that point.

Philly is most likely, but I could see boston as a "The Revolution was born here so lets put the capital of the nation that came out of that here" kind of thing
I've allways liked the idea of Chicago, Minneapolis, or Denver; they are all too far north(except for maybe chi-town) for the CSA to ever got to them with a army, even in the most virulent CSA-wank.
Maybe even San Fran?

Philly may sound nice, but would all the Northern states actually agree with this? Like NY may demand it's, well, NYC...

Likewise Boston may well be a front runner...

How about Chicago?

Or somewhere out of the way of possible Reb raids or even major offensives?

Philly may sound nice, but would all the Northern states actually agree with this? Like NY may demand it's, well, NYC...

Likewise Boston may well be a front runner...

How about Chicago?

Or somewhere out of the way of possible Reb raids or even major offensives?
NYC would be too hostile to Lincoln for it to become the capital, I'd think. And Boston would make the Union effort look too abolitionist. Chicago isn't much of anything at that point, really.

How about Binghamton, New York? It was an industrial town, lies on the Susquehanna River, and is far enough north to avoid any attacks by the South.

I think Chicago would be the best bet. There is rail access back East, the major cities would not have to worry about rivalry for the capital, and it's closer to the developing West. It is also about as far from the Atlantic as they could comfortably get in those days, and the risk of Confederate attacks would be minimal.

~The Doctor~

I think Philadelphia's the most likely, but I don't see Maryland remaining in the CSA for long...:cool:

I've allways liked the idea of Chicago, Minneapolis, or Denver; they are all too far north(except for maybe chi-town) for the CSA to ever got to them with a army, even in the most virulent CSA-wank. Maybe even San Fran?

No. Just no. Denver was founded two years before the ACW, they're not suddenly going to make it the US capital.

Trenton, New Jersey, or, depending on when Maryland goes, Wheeling, West Virginia.

Why in the heck would the capital be moved to Wheeling or Trenton? I could maybe see Trenton as a far, far off bet, but Wheeling is miles out in left field. As far as I can see it, the only practical choices would be Boston, Philadelphia, NYC, and maybe Chicago. However, Philadelphia would be the best choice, I think, for the reasons already explained on the thread.

Maryland leaving would put Rebel soil withing striking distance of the capital, and if any notable fraction of the Marylanders follow the state government then there will be partisan activity. How long will Baltimore hold out? How many troops are used up holding the state?