They'll post I'll post the next update on Saturday. It will feature news from both North and South America.

Holy moley... when did steamships for battle get invented, ITTL? :eek:

The prototype was the Turenne, which first saw action in 1820. The only countries which have really gone all-in on steam are Italy and Denmark, and for the same reasons — they're not the strongest powers in Europe, they're building their navies from scratch and they need something that might turn out to be an edge. Even with that, you'll notice these are steam-and-sail ships, not pure steamships.

Protectorates are one thing, but that Orana chunk is a pretty ambitious move on the part of the British, isn't it?

Very curious what impact such a pan-European effort would have on Christian migration to North Africa. Not to mention whether those protectorates will last.

How are the Ottomans taking it all?

I'll get more into the exact disposition of Orania and the other colonies and protectorates later. But among other things, this does give Britain a new naval base to make up for the loss of a client government in Sicily.

As for the Ottomans… they are officially outraged. Unofficially, they're fighting for their lives against the Janissaries and if they survive the rebellion they have Muhammad Ali to deal with, so this is just one more piece of bad news.

Cry for Argentina (1)
September 7, 1827
Oval Office

President Clay stared at the map of Argentina on his desk. “Explain this to me, John,” he said. “The dispatch from Buenos Aires was most unclear on the subject.”

“The southern border is this river, running south of Buenos Aires, which used to be called the Río Salado — not to be confused with this Río Salado, also in Argentina,” sadi Sergeant. “To eliminate the confusion, they’re renaming the southern one the Río Fronterizo.”

“Thank you,” said Clay. “And then the 60th meridian and the Paraná?”

“Yes. Hence the name ‘Entre Ríos’ for the new republic. Of course, that was the name of a previous attempt at a republic in the area, which will be yet another source of confusion for history student, but that is blessedly not our problem.”

“But the fact that the British now have another Louisiana in the Southern Hemisphere… that is our problem?”

“Officially, Entre Rios is a British ally, not a protectorate,” said Sergeant, “and that may be more than legal fiction. Small as Entre Ríos is, it comprises a goodly share of what was Argentina’s population and wealth. But I’m sure they’re grateful for the alliance — putting Argentina aside, we saw in the Banda Oriental[1] that Brazil doesn’t mind a little expansion at its neighbors’ expense, and heaven only knows what Paraguay is going to do…”

“And in the meantime, federal Argentina is virtually cut off from access to the sea,” said Clay.

“There is a narrow corridor of civilized settlement south of the Fronteriza,” said Sergeant, “and, I’m told, plans for a fortress further to the south, where another port can be founded.”[2]

“Good,” said Clay. “Then there is some hope of an alliance with them one day. What of Brazil?”

“Still happy to trade with all and pledging herself to none,” said Sergeant. “As for that other war, there is little news from the Colombian front. As for Haiti, the Spaniards seem determined to continue so long as they have lives and gold to spend on that worthless isle.”

Clay nodded. As a slaveowner, he tended to think of Haiti as less a nation than an open wound in the world, and one that had widened to engulf Santo Domingo. That said, Haiti wasn’t a likely enemy in its own right, unlike Spain. The only thing he regretted about this war was that somebody was going to win it.

After the secretary of state’s business was complete, Clay took a moment to review the defenses. There was some good news from Norfolk — the USS Representation, last of the iron-plated demologoi[3], had been completed and launched and had embarked on its maiden voyage.[4]

And the T&T Canal was beginning to pay dividends. Mobile, Alabama was growing with a furious energy, and a shipyard was under construction there — a private shipyard, without a dollar of federal money in it, but one which could surely be contracted to build whatever sort of ship the Navy felt in need of. If they did decide on Turenne-class steam frigates, there was a steam-engine factory being built upriver in Republicville.[5]

All of which would come in handy if they had to fight Spain alone, but…

The Royal Navy. Not in his lifetime did Henry Clay ever expect to see the U.S. Navy strong enough to hold off that foe. The only hope was that they would be too heavily engaged somewhere far away to devote more than a tithe of their strength to fighting the U.S. Considering the news from Burma, that didn’t seem likely.[6]

But perhaps it wasn’t necessary to defeat them. They had blockaded France, but the United States was a deal larger than France. The more canals were built, connecting Mobile, Savannah and other ports to the American interior, the more places the British would have to blockade in the event of war. Force them to stretch themselves thin, use ships like those excellent clippers they build in Baltimore to run the blockade… there were worse strategies.

And he had kept up his predecessor’s correspondence with various engineers and natural philosophers. None of them seemed likely to invent any stranger engines for the brunt of war in the next year or so, but it couldn’t be as much of a waste of time as the Symmes expedition.

[1] What we would call Uruguay.
[2] IOTL, Bahía Blanca wasn’t founded until 1828. Southern Argentina, at this point, is about as settled as the U.S. west of the Mississippi.
[3] If you’re into this sort of catalog of ships, the others are the USS Speaker (serving in New York Harbor alongside the original Demologos), the Election (built at the Washington Navy Yard) the Assembly (Philadelphia) and the Defender (Boston).
[4] To Baltimore. Those things aren’t really meant for open sea.
[5] OTL Jackson, Alabama.
[6] The short version is that Burma is getting its ass kicked. I’ll go into more detail in the big 1829 overview post.

Last edited:
Cry for Argentina (2)
The Class of 1817 (Ten Years On)

First, congratulations are due to young Alexander Humphreys, who turned 10 in February and has been given a post as midshipman aboard the 80-gun HMS Talavera, a ship only eighteen months younger than he is.[1]

“Those who wish to live, you know where the boats are. For my part, I shall stay and fight.” — Sir Alexander Humphreys

Quincy Grissom, who turned 10 in March, isn’t doing anything nearly so exciting. He continues to work at the family farm while pursuing a haphazard schooling in his spare moments, showing a particular aptitude for mathematics.

“Bread, bullets, bandages. That is all. The rest is fortune.” — Quincy Grissom

Eleanor Roxana Beecher, who turned 10 in April, is getting a much more thorough schooling. Between her two hobbies of birdwatching and stargazing, she hardly seems to get any sleep. She hasn’t yet heard of Audubon’s work, which is just getting released in Britain and France this year. Just as well — her family couldn’t easily afford it.

“Scientific knowledge serves my art as the trellis serves the climbing rose.” — E. R. Beecher

A less diligent student is Joshua Henley Ross, who turned 10 in June. Recently he found a black friend of his, a slave on a neighboring plantation, hiding in the woods. Thinking his friend was just running away temporarily to take a breather from work, as they sometimes did, he brought the boy some bread and cheese. By the time he realized that the boy and his family were leaving for good, they’d crossed the border into British Florida.
Young Joshua feels conflicted about this. There isn’t much he wouldn’t do for a friend, but his father, in addition to being a big investor in trading and shipping, is after all a slaveowner. He certainly isn’t going to tell — all that would accomplish now would be to get him in trouble.

“The freedom fighters want me dead, along with all my family. The tyrants have vowed to protect us with their lives. Had I been granted the choice of my loyalties, I should have chosen them otherwise than this.” — Josh Ross

María Isabel Luisa turned 10 in August, and her health has been better this year. As for her schooling… well, she can read and write and do simple mathematics, and that’s about it. She does have some skill with horses, and the nuns teaching her have good things to say about her piety.

“What this man did, he did for me. I beg you to let him live.” — Infanta María Isabel

Leopold William Frederick, a.k.a. “The Cub,” turned 10 in November. Unlike the Spanish princess, he is legitimately bright, and the Princess and Prince Consort are encouraging him to spend time in the offices of Earl Grey and Henry Brougham, learning from them. One of these days, they’re going to give their young lion some real work to do.
The prince was deeply saddened by the death of his great-uncle Frederick[2] this year, the only person who could persuade his grandfather to exchange a civil word with him. The fact that his weird little brother Christian is now Duke of York is more a source of amusement to him than anything else.

“Can you hear it? Can you hear the voice of a people that has had its fill and more of your folly?” — Prince Leopold

Guillaume Georges Elmar turned 10 at the beginning of December, and got a French translation of Gibbon’s History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for his birthday. He is just eating that book up. He is well aware that it has been condemned by many churchmen for its portrayal of early Christianity. This, if anything, makes him like it even more. But he isn’t obsessed with it — there’s just too much else to learn for him to get preoccupied by any one thing. His tutors can barely keep up.

“Colin and Darwin have discovered and illuminated the animating principles that govern the history of life on Earth. The purpose of my studies has been to discover the animating principles that govern the history of human affairs — the growth and decay of states and societies, the tides that rule the flow of money. But I can no longer confine myself to the function of a scholar; in my studies I have discovered truths of the greatest importance, which must be shared with the world while time remains in which to act upon them.” — G. G. Elmar

[1] IOTL this was the HMS Waterloo, renamed the Bellerophon.
[2] Which also happened this year IOTL.

Stolengood

Banned
...I feel like we missed an election, or at least I did. When did Henry Clay become President? :confused:

And those quotes... goddamn, you tease! XD That last one... he's the Marx equivalent ITTL, I take it?

Last edited:

Stolengood

Banned
I do apologize; I think my eyes at the time starting reading Canada and glazed over everything else being one giant big block of text. I'm sorry. :(

Is former President J.Q. Adams in the House, at this moment, as he was IOTL? Or is he enjoying a quieter retirement?

And, don't forget. the will of a certain James Smithson comes up in a few years...

I do apologize; I think my eyes at the time starting reading Canada and glazed over everything else being one giant big block of text. I'm sorry. :(

Considering this thing is already 136,498 words long by my count, I'm not too offended if people lose track of a few details.

Is former President J.Q. Adams in the House, at this moment, as he was IOTL? Or is he enjoying a quieter retirement?

Funny you should ask. Adams did indeed return to the House ITTL, and he'll show up in the very next update.

And, don't forget. the will of a certain James Smithson comes up in a few years...

I'll get to that… eventually.

Paixão de Cristo (1)
It's not that this is the only thing that happens in 1828, but I'll get to the other things later.

September 13, 1828
Aboard HMS Ocean Guard
off Cape Canaveral
“Guv’nor?” said Will, spyglass in hand. “You need to see this.”

Governor MacCarthy was already having a bad day.

The schooner Ocean Guard, built at Trafalgar this summer, was making decent time around the peninsula considering how little wind there was. (A steamship might have been better, but Florida was not blessed with great reserves of coal.)

But the devastation he’d seen over the last two days had been terrible — all the more so because it had fallen on those with so little to begin with. The east coast of Florida, which Stamford Raffles had divided into the provinces of Tegesta and Augustinia, was populated only by those who could obtain land nowhere else. Mostly these were Malays, Javanese and Balinese, with some Bengalis, Keralans, a few Cantonese and a smattering of freedmen teaching them all English so they could at least talk to each other.

Now, everything between Singaraja and Belaga[1] was ravaged — huts stove in, knocked down or just gone. They will rebuild, thought MacCarthy. It always looks hopeless, and they always rebuild. Still, it was his policy to give new homesteads and villages an exemption from taxes of three years. After this hurricane, he was going to have to grant this coast an extension. Between the hurricane and the yellow fever, MacCarthy was beginning to understand why the Spanish had done so little with Florida.

Belaga was the last village for a little while, until you got to the freedmen’s villages south of St. Augustine and the Jewish town of Sepharad. MacCarthy had hopes that north of the cape, the damage would be less. But in the meantime… he took the spyglass from Will Davidson and aimed it at the cape.

MacCarthy gave the orders to halt the ship and ready the boats. There was a shipwreck, farther inland than he’d ever seen one — at least half a mile from the shoreline. It seemed impossible that there would be survivors, but if there were, they’d need help.

He hadn’t even landed when he realized the situation was worse than he’d thought. The beach was littered with the detritus of the sea. The wind (such as it was) was from the west, more or less in the direction of the wreck. There was an eye-watering stench in the air of dead fish, rotting corpses… and something worse than either of these things.

“Follow me,” MacCarthy said to Will. That stench could only have come from one source. As he approached, the cries of seagulls and the buzzing of flies grew louder.

It took them little time to reach the wreck. The ship was on its starboard side atop a sand dune, its hull partly stove in where it lay. Dead men lay strewn about, beginning to bloat, attended by gulls and half-shrouded by a black mist of flies.

MacCarthy didn’t need to see the bits of chain lying about, or the insufferably pious name Paixão de Cristo on the bow, to know what kind of ship this was. The smell gave it away. It was the smell of human shit and piss, mixed with vomit, sweat, sickness, fear, misery and death, all washed down into the bilge to ferment into something unspeakable over those long voyages in the tropical heat. Nothing else this side of Hell stank like a slave ship.

Shooing away the gulls and flies (and thanking God he’d had nothing to eat today besides a little ship’s biscuit) MacCarthy saw the wounds on the corpses, mainly on their heads and chests. These were no random injuries — they were blows, struck with deadly intent. In places, there were brown stains on the sand. And, though their corpses were beginning to blacken, all of the dead on the beach were white men — all but one, a Negro with an indigo tattoo on his forehead that marked him as a free sailor.[2] There were only eight of them — not the normal crew complement of a slaver.

MacCarthy summoned a half dozen more armed men from the Ocean Guard — though he despised slavery as much as any man alive, if the escapees were still about they might not see him as a friend at first glance. Then he and his party followed the footprints north by northwest along the beach.

They came to a sort of crude graveyard in the sand, nineteen shallow graves marked by bits of driftwood set erect. Not far away were gnawed fruit pits[3], and the remains of fish that had already been stripped to the bone. From there, the footprints turned west, toward the Mosquito Lagoon.

A Portuguee slaver, en route to Cuba. The storm drove them north and west, farther than they meant to go. Finally it dashed them against these shores. In the violence of the impact, someone’s chains were broken, or else unmoored from the hull where it caved. He found some tool and freed the others.

Then the fight began. The sailors were better armed, but outnumbered. Out on the deck, they had lost many of their own to the storm, and the exhausted survivors were hardly in better shape to fight than the poor cramped souls in the hold. They killed many… but they died to a man.

The escapees left the fallen slavers for the delectation of the seabirds, but buried their own dead as best they could, well away from the stinking wreck. Then, having no dry tinder nor any means of lighting a fire, they assuaged their hunger with wild fruit and raw fish washed ashore by the storm. With nothing else for them here, they made their way inland to see what they could find.

There was no slavery in British Florida. Once on its soil, a man was free by law. But the load of carrion lying at his feet had mostly been citizens of Portugal, a British ally for centuries, and they had been killed on that same soil. This was going to be… a mess.

[1] Miami and Palm Bay, Florida
[2] Although the Kru (Crou is the more common spelling ITTL) were famously resistant to enslavement themselves, many of them were unfortunately willing to work on slave ships.
[3] Probably saw palmetto berry, cocoplum and seagrape.

Last edited:

Stolengood

Banned
...you may want to fix the spacings in-between lines; I think they've gotten a bit larger than you've intended them to be.

Paixão de Cristo (2)
Some events in history seem to turn on a breath — the smallest change, and anything might happen. Others have a terrible inevitability, recognized even by those involved at the time. Randolph’s letters indicate that he foresaw the crisis to come within the ranks of the Quids. With so many rich, powerful men joining the party at once, it was inevitable that they would try to alter the party’s platform to their own benefit, especially since they had a leader in the person of John C. Calhoun. Sooner or later, Randolph would have to contend with Calhoun for the soul of the party he had established.

Randolph foresaw this, but could neither prevent it nor alter the outcome. Again and again, his principles bound him to unpopular positions, and his health had chosen this year to take another turn for the worse. Calhoun was a far better politician, in excellent health, and his highest principle was this: The needs of slaveholders must be served. Where Washington was on the side of the slaveholders, Washington must be strengthened. Where it opposed the slaveholders, it must be weakened. In his mind there was no inconsistency, no hypocrisy, only the simple logic of self-interest.

In every platform fight, the pattern would repeat itself. Randolph wanted the Department of Domestic Affairs abolished entirely and the Southern Inland Navigation Company left to work without public support; Calhoun wanted the SINC forbidden to manumit slaves, but otherwise supported by the government. Randolph wanted USNU privatized; Calhoun wanted it kept public, but its curriculum scoured of all trace of abolitionism. And every time, when the matter was put to a vote, Calhoun won decisively…

The Calhoun/Troup ticket did better than the Giles/Horsey[1] ticket of ’24, winning the votes of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. Much of this can surely be attributed to the Quids’ change of position regarding the canals. The T&T was new, and the A&C and the Grand Southern were not quite finished, but already the people of the Deep South were seeing the advantages of internal trade made easier.

Another part of the success can be attributed to the Paixão de Cristo incident earlier that fall. Although no Americans were involved in the incident, it was nonetheless on the mind of every voter in the slave states on Election Day, a reminder of the powderkeg on which their economy was built. Calhoun played incessantly on the fears of servile insurrection, and denounced the abolitionists for their rhetoric, which they claimed encouraged such insurrection. “From the safety of Massachusetts, these men play with a fire that touches them not, but that yet may burn all the south to ashes,” said Calhoun. “From Quaker and Methodist halls of worship where black faces are as rare as white crows, the pious men of New England utter their ignorant simplicities against our peculiar institution: neither knowing nor caring that their words may turn to knife-wounds in the flesh of men as white as themselves, or to unimaginable outrages against women as fair as their wives and daughters. How long must we — we whose mind and will provide the very cotton and indigo on your backs and the tobacco in your pipes — endure this dangerous madness?”

This speech Adams[2] answered with memorable scorn:

“The most ignorant slave in all the south — yea, the most benighted idolater in all Africa — though he may know nothing of God or the written word, yet he knows that chains are heavy, that whips are a dreadful pain, that ceaseless unrewarded labor is wearisome to the body and soul, that it is an incurable grief to be robbed of one’s family forever for the profit of another; and by these tokens he knows that slavery is an evil. And if every white man of conscience held his tongue for fear of disturbing the delicate sensibilities of the slavemasters, yet still that slave would know, for his eyes, his ears, his heart and the very skin which marks him as a Negro would bring to him an unceasing stream of evidence for the proposition.
“To those who claim otherwise, who assert the Negro too placid or stultified even to imagine freedom or to desire it of his own volition, I have one question. Six weeks ago, when the hand of Providence cast that floating blasphemy onto the shores of Cape Canaveral, what abolitionist was on board? What abolitionist crept into the darkness of the hold, to whisper in the ears of the captives — and in their native tongue, for they knew no other! — that these were indeed fetters about their limbs, that they were captives and not free? What ‘pious men of New England’ stood within a hundred kilometers of that dreadful wrack?”

Adams concluded this speech with the observation that “even to those who have not looked upon slavery in all its horror, its evil may be surmised by the absurd follies that wise men must needs utter if they would defend it.” Though effective, this speech was something of an embarrassment to the DRP, whose leader was after all a slaveholder…

DS election 1828.png

Though the Tertium Quids had succeeded in the sense that they had expanded their reach by three states and eighteen electoral votes, they had not succeeded in the sense of, well, succeeding. In his December 8 speech of resignation from the Tertium Quids, Randolph was quick to point this out. He reminded them that they had cast aside the principles for which the Tertium Quid party had once stood in pursuit of a power they had failed to achieve. He begged the members to consider what would become of “these United States” (possibly the last time this formulation would ever be used in a political address) with no organized force remaining to advocate for the constraint and reduction of federal authority as a terminal goal rather than as a means to an end. His speech was long, bitter and a little self-pitying, but it contained one line destined to be remembered when all else was forgotten: “Why, gentlemen, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for eighteen votes?”…

We speak of America as a nation defined not by blood, ancestry or language, but by a shared dream that stretches back to 1776. We forget that for a long time, the vision of America that became a reality was only one of many, and by no means the most popular.

Might events have happened otherwise? Perhaps, if British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval had never been assassinated, the War of 1812 could have been averted entirely. There would have been no burning of Washington, no loss of New Orleans. Not only Louisiana and Florida, but the United States of America would be a very different place. It would have no memory of humiliation and no reason to be afraid of further defeats. In such an America, perhaps Randolph’s vision might have been embraced for a time.

But only for a time. Randolph’s America would have been free, certainly (if you were a propertied white male) but it would have been a weak and disorganized nation — and history is never kind to the weak and disorganized. This was the central truth of post-1815 American domestic policy, the one Adams had expressed at Gadsby’s Tavern. The only answer Randolph had ever been able to make was that it would be less ruinous in the long run to suffer the occasional depredations of wolves from overseas than the permanent dominion of a shepherd in Washington, and that simply didn’t satisfy. Like all ideologues, his ideas weren’t exactly wrong, but were instead good ideas to be used by a different species. Some events in history seem to turn on a breath, but others have a terrible inevitability.

Andrea Fessler, A Voice in the Wilderness: The Life of John Randolph of Roanoke

[1] William Branch Giles and (his real name, I swear to God) Outerbridge Horsey III.
[2] As IOTL, Adams went back to Congress after his time in the White House was up.

Last edited:
Paixão de Cristo (3)
The Class of 1818: Ten Years Later

The Bragg family is doing well financially, but is still seen as nouveau-riche and kind of inherently lower-class by the upper crust of South Carolina. Thomas Bragg has decided that his son Hooper, who turned 10 in January and is an excellent student, should go to the U.S. Military Academy — preferably at Ferry Farm.
“How many years have I wasted begging like a dog for the approval of worthless men? No more!” — Hooper Bragg

If you listened to Princess Julia Louisa speaking English, you’d swear she was raised in Whitehall. Julia, who turned 10 in April, is also quite the student of music, art and history.
“I take a certain comfort in knowing that, with the possible exception of Switzerland, every nation in Europe has at some point been the strongest.” — Princess Julia
Her twin brother, Prince Christian, is equally fluent in German, with the accent of a Prussian aristocrat. His tutors are trying to prepare him for entry into a Prussian military academy, but he’s more interested in watching the steam-shallops operate.
“When will we ever have a better chance to take back what is rightfully ours?” — Prince Christian

William Archibald Douglas also turned 10 in April. This August, he killed his first grouse. He searched for it for so long the sun went down and he had to get out a lantern, but he would not give up. He returned to the hotel at three in the morning, grouse in hand.
“The Irish couldn’t stop us in their own country! Shall they defeat us here?” — William Douglas

Richard St-Napoléon Colin turned 10 in August. He’s made friends with Maurice, a blacksmith’s son of similar age to himself, and has noticed two things. The first is that the blacksmith came back from Nancy with a peg leg, but all his children have the usual complement of legs, feet and toes. The second is that although the blacksmith is about twice as strong as M. Colin, Richard and Maurice have wrestled often enough to know they’re evenly matched in strength. None of this means much to him now, but it’ll be a problem when he enters the lycée and is taught the theories of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck as though they were laws.
“The time has come for our churches, our statutes and our customs to embrace the eternal truth of God as revealed in the natural world.” —Richard Colin

Chui Yongxiang turned 10 in October. This Year of the Earth Rat has been pretty good to his family, mostly because of the war in the west. Armies need salt, after all. Apart from having a rather large gang of friends, of which he seems to be the informal leader, there doesn’t appear to be much remarkable about him.
“The Manchu banners fall to the earth. The long night ends. The Middle Kingdom will be reborn with new knowledge and new power.” — Chui Yongxiang

Last edited:
So, just making sure I'm following this, the slavery arty just won the election after those who founded the party were pushed out by those who had their own ideology?

Also, really good work on the quotes and people. It's fun to get little hints into what's to come.

So, just making sure I'm following this, the slavery arty just won the election after those who founded the party were pushed out by those who had their own ideology?
They didn't win, they just did better than they had been doing. But that seems otherwise accurate.

Ah, that is good news then. Hopefully this gives abolition a good bit of momentum.
Yes, but on the other hand, there's not much that riles up a pro-slavery party more than an anti-slavery party.

Also, what, if anything, happened to the Paixão de Cristo survivors? Did they disappear into the Floridian wilderness, were they tried, were they extradited?

Really like the voice in the Fessler bit, often all of the excepts in TLs blend together so it nice to see one stick out.

Thanks. She's actually based on a teacher I had in college that I really liked.

Also, what, if anything, happened to the Paixão de Cristo survivors? Did they disappear into the Floridian wilderness, were they tried, were they extradited?

Some of them were eventually found. I'll get to the details in a future post.