Collaborative Project: Lets Build A Planet (All Welcome)

What shall we name this world?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great work so far guys. This is progressing greatly. Please use this map for all future endeavors, since it has everything in it as well as being all the same colour.
collaborative project (4).png

Was there any progress on flora and fauna?

Most non-avian dinosaurs of course do have to die out - in order for humans to evolve. Or could you live with dinosaurs and humans coexisting?

If not, I would propose that some families (especially Ceratopsidae and Ankylosauridae) of non-avian dinosaurs shall survive the K-T event (*Chixhulub meteorite), if one happens.

Was there any progress on flora and fauna?

Most non-avian dinosaurs of course do have to die out - in order for humans to evolve. Or could you live with dinosaurs and humans coexisting?

If not, I would propose that some families (especially Ceratopsidae and Ankylosauridae) of non-avian dinosaurs shall survive the K-T event (*Chixhulub meteorite), if one happens.

Those that did survive the K-T event would have to be small, otherwise they would have starved and went extinct like all the others. Even if we made the event less apocalyptic so that more larger species could survive, that would make the chances of mammals flourishing much lower.

The Deurond Empire was formed as a union of city-states around the Vamoir Sea in 2490 AC(1). Deurond expanded along the coast both north and south, until it controlled most of the east coast of Osemsey(2). The empire reached the height of its power around 2680 to 2800. Deurond culture had strictly divided classes. Its population was divided first between the nobility (about 2% of the total population) and the common people, who were divided into occupation-based castes. Deurond society was male-dominated, but not extremely so. Women could be important in society too, and families were matrilineal. The Empire was ruled by an Emperor, who chose his heir from the most important noble families. The sea was always very important culturally. Most Deurond cities were coastal, and those that were not were along a major river. The main language of Deurond was Deuras, which was written in the Kirandpa script(3), based on the earlier writing of the Eku(4). Many religions were practiced in the Empire. Its official religion changed several times but for most of its golden age was Rempietism, a dualistic religion in which there is a god of light and order, and a god of darkness and chaos, which is not seen as a 'bad' god, both are necessary for the world.
Deurond.png
The Deurond Empire at its greatest extent.

After 2800, the central government of Deurond became increasingly weaker. Local leaders ruled their territory effectively independently, and the area the Empire actually controlled grew smaller. Meanwhile, the class divisions began to break down and became more fluid in many regions. The Deurond Empire is considered to have officially ended in 2989, when a rival kingdom conquered the Deurond capital and killed the last Emperor. However, seven centuries later(5), its legacy still influences the world. Many of the lands formerly part of Deurond have cultures greatly influenced by its culture, and speak Deuric languages, which are descended from Deuras. Most languages of Osemsey and many on other continents are written it Kirandpa script or modifications of it. Rempietism is still practiced in many places, although it is a now a minority religion in all but a few.

1. After the collapse of the civilizations mentioned on page 8.
  2. The big middle continent.
  3. I'll post information on this writing system soon.
  4. Civilization in northeastern Osemsey.
  5. If no one objects, I'm establishing 3596 AC as the 'present day' of Atka, when technology is similar to the present of our world.
It's been nearly a week since the last post in this thread and I want to make sure that Atka continues to be developed. Thoughts? If anyone wants to add more information on Deuras that's fine.

It's been nearly a week since the last post in this thread and I want to make sure that Atka continues to be developed. Thoughts? If anyone wants to add more information on Deuras that's fine.

I'm a little surprised, since I thought we were going to start with the first civilizations and work our way forward. On the contrary, I think it's a good idea to allow ourselves to jump around time, because less people would be interested if we spent so much time working out the details of the Bronze Age (I think that was the main fault of many other worldbuilding projects on this board).

I should probably write something about my civilization, too.

I'm a little surprised, since I thought we were going to start with the first civilizations and work our way forward. On the contrary, I think it's a good idea to allow ourselves to jump around time, because less people would be interested if we spent so much time working out the details of the Bronze Age (I think that was the main fault of many other worldbuilding projects on this board).

I should probably write something about my civilization, too.
This thread is less active than it used to be and I was worried that people were losing interest, so I decided to post something more "interesting" (hopefully this was).

I think it might be good to work out human migratory/ evolutionary patterns first. Figure out where all the different homonids are, what they're like, and if they survive contact with Homo sapiens.

There seems to be an arbitrary preference for the northern hemisphere to be stronger an a centre of civilization, industry and technology in most of these build-a-world map projects because it seems to be easier to associate it with RL. I propose that we avoid this by doing two things: Adding a greater centre of power in the south, here:

Build-a-world Atka centre of civilization..png

And also, create another parallel centre that progresses at the same rate, I favour Doctor President's one.

However, all of this is just an opinion, feel free to criticize it.

There seems to be an arbitrary preference for the northern hemisphere to be stronger an a centre of civilization, industry and technology in most of these build-a-world map projects because it seems to be easier to associate it with RL. I propose that we avoid this by doing two things: Adding a greater centre of power in the south, here:

Just out of curiosity, how did you pick that spot?

Just out of curiosity, how did you pick that spot?

Because of various factors:

- Mediterranean climate.
- Various climates around that could yield several different resources, not limited to agricultural products.
- Several important river systems.
- A semi-enclosed space that grants both easy access to the larger sea and an area most likely protected from the elements.
- Several islands, climates and bays that create different environments, therefore, can foster different cultures and resources, enough for them to be separate but not enough so that they aren't part of the same area of trade and development.
- Close to several expanses of different environments which can be colonized and their resources extracted as they don't possess the same characteristic listed above creating most likely weaker civilizations in them in time.

Because of various factors:

- Mediterranean climate.
- Various climates around that could yield several different resources, not limited to agricultural products.
- Several important river systems.
- A semi-enclosed space that grants both easy access to the larger sea and an area most likely protected from the elements.
- Several islands, climates and bays that create different environments, therefore, can foster different cultures and resources, enough for them to be separate but not enough so that they aren't part of the same area of trade and development.
- Close to several expanses of different environments which can be colonized and their resources extracted as they don't possess the same characteristic listed above creating most likely weaker civilizations in them in time.
I'm working on that right now.

I saw a sort of Novgorod style trade empire.
The different colors are its expansion.
collaborative project (4).png

Last edited:
Can I just say that that map is the nicest looking map I've ever seen produced by a collab-world project, to the extent it makes me feel bad that I can't get worlds looking that good despite immense effort.